• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

RANGE REPORT: Handguns

I am not sure what you mean by shooting too far. If it is the distance, I tend stay within the distances for my PD qualifications mostly for my carry guns. On the grouping I posted for my G19 the 25ft line is the farthest in our qualification shooting. And not that I am any expert at shooting but I have probably 5k rounds through this 19. I shoot my G19 more than an other gun. I used to shoot my 229 even more but now it rides in the holster of a friend of mine who needed a good sidearm out of the academy and couldn't afford a new one. I will have another one some day...oh yes I will.

Wish I shot this good with my issued M&P.

Range report for the Ruger Super Blackhawk . 44 Mag and Super Redhawk .44 Mag using American Eagle 240 gr. SJHP. I shot them both over the weekend.
The Super Blackhawk I shot at about 20 yards to get a feel for it. I shot 1 cylinder and it printed about 5 inches high with a 4 inch group. It will do better when I get used to shooting it. The recoil from it is not substantial, but it was uncomfortable with the exposed back strap driving straight back into my hand. I need some grips that cover the backstrap.
The Super Redhawk I shot from a rest at 40 yards to sight in the scope. It printed a nicely centered group of about 4"-5". It will also do better when I get used to shooting it. I was hoping for a smaller group, so I will probably experiment with some different ammo for it. .44 Mag ammo is not cheap as you all know, so there is also some reloading in my future. If anyone has a good recipe they would not mind passing on, it would be much appreciated.

Very nice!

New pistols always take a bit of getting used to and I'm sure you'll be printing nice, tight groups in no time...

.327 Magnum Range Report

I just got a new-to-me Ruger Blackhawk in .327 magnum. I had thought about getting one over the last year or so and then the gun craziness hit in November. Anyway, I looked on the Ruger site to see what the price is now and it was no longer listed. I picked this one up used and here are my opinions for what it is worth. I have single six in .32 H&R and this revolver is just more solid and bigger when you pick it up. The gun weighs about 3 pounds empty and that is part of what makes it so pleasant to shoot as it lessens the felt recoil.
Ruger1_zps9a1d8a4e.jpg

I bought a couple of boxes of Federal 100 grain loads and they clocked out around 1600 FPS or more so that puts the kinetic energy around the 570 ft/lbs range.

Chrono100SP_zps0b444dd0.jpg

The recoil would calculate to be around 5 ft/lbs with this load. For comparison, think of a 2.5 pound pistol in 40 S&W shooting a 180 grain load at 1025 fps would make about 420 ft/lbs of energy and generate about 6 ft/lbs of recoil. In other words, the Ruger makes 150 ft/lbs more energy than the 40 S&W 180 load, 35% more, while the 40 S&W has 20% more felt recoil than the Ruger.

I am old enough to remember when Ruger made a Blackhawk in .357 Maximum. Ruger made the cylinder shorter than the Dan Wesson in the same caliber. Silhouette shooters liked to load 180 and 200 grain bullets which worked fine in the DW but were long for the Ruger. The Ruger owners were shooting a lot more 158 grain bullets and flame cutting was an issue with the light bullets and the Rugers were soon pulled off the market. Someone at Ruger must have remembered this when designing the .327 Blackhawk as the top of the 100 grain load is around 0.245” from the front of the cylinder.

Cylinder_zps89f9f12d.jpg

The cylinder will easily handle longer/heavier bullets. I am going to try casting some 115-130 range bullets with gas checks to see if the rifling will handle them.

Tgt100SP_zps71560ad0.jpg

I adjusted the sights for a 6 o’clock hold at 25 yards. I fired 10 rounds standing with the 100 grain load.

TgtWC1_zps1a9d908f.jpg

Then I got some of my practice 32 wadcutter loads and tried them. When I shot the first one I stopped and looked through the spotting scope to be sure it cleared the barrel as it felt so light—I thought it was a squib load. They just ARE that light on the recoil and the accuracy was pretty good.

Tgt50Yds_zpsbe49cde2.jpg

I am going to try some of my match loads to see what they do in the near future. Finally, just to see what it would do, I held 6 o’clock on a target at 50 yards for 5 shots. The group was not the best but it was interesting to see that the gun was hitting higher than at 25 yard as it is still climbing due to the velocity.

I am going to have a lot of fun with this gun!

Re: .327 Magnum Range Report

Very nice pick up and thanks for the range report. I'm a big Ruger fan here.

That is a GREAT lookin Blackhawk!

Good info, thanks for the write-up...

thanks for posting this unique gem...grew up on 3 screw Rugers

Hi guys, I'm not too late am I? :mrgreen:

This is my Sigma 9mm and my Sig P250 40sw. The ammo is Fed Champ 9mm 115gr FMJ and Fed Champ 40sw 180gr FMJ, 50 rounds each gun and patched after each ten round sessions.

This is at 9-10 yards. The four flyers on my 40sw target (right) was from twitches in my right shoulder and I'm shooting right handed.

nice shooting ! I gave my Sigma to my son but it was a good shooting pistol....

Took the new .45acp S&W 325NG to the range this afternoon. Sent 100 rounds down range and let me just get this outta the way,

I am in love with this gun!

Set up at 10yd and was amazed at how easy this thing made punching the center outta every target I put up...

This was the second target of the day. Six rounds went into it somewhere in there...

Not too shabby for a 2.75" snubbie chambered for an auto cartridge. The trigger is amazing, the XS tritium front dot is spot on, and even with the lightweight scandium alloy the big ole N-Frame soaked up every bit of recoil the .45acp had to offer. The Hogue monogrip was a great upgrade from the factory rubber. It feels great and the finger grooves combined with the checkering allow for excellent control. Honestly the moon clips are a real PITA, but it's worth putting up with at the range every so often. I know there are de-mooner tools out there, however my solution is using a 5/16" punch to pop the casings out of the clip. Works like a charm and didn't cost me a dime. Can't wait for my leather to show up so I can start carrying this bad boy...

Thank you Sir.

Guess the moon clips are just easier, although some of the older models operated without them. It's not that bad and they make good sense for a carry gun. I can carry two loaded moon clips in a speed loader belt pouch and have an extra dozen rounds ready to load up in a matter of seconds. Reloads actually go a lot faster than my .44mag speed loaders...

Back