• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Range report on 930 Home security, also question about mag

Stoop14

.22LR
I got out today, i shot the bulk federal game/target loads I did shoot a couple slugs and it seemed that it was shooting about 1 foot high. It was ok at the start did a few mag dumps, then i did a few mag dumps from the hip and pretty much every shell wouldn't eject. I think this might be due to not having the right support behind it. After that by about round 90 i started to get some FTE, so i'm a little concerned. I've put around 15, 00 buck, and 10 slugs through it for break in and i'm still getting these FTE. Their mostly when i do a mag dump, and the shell is almost out sometimes and its just the brass is still in the receiver. I did have a few fail to cycle totally i think 3 and had to manually pull the bolt back, and it was a bit stiff might just of been due to cheap shells and the gun got was pretty hot, I shot about 120 rounds in less then a hour maybe the hulls plastic was sticking to the chamber. Any suggestions? When i got home to do a full clean i noticed my mag tube was loose going into the receiver, i didn't know these unscrewed so easily, is this suppose to unscrew like this on mossbergs? This is my first one.

Re: Range report on 930 Home security, also question about m

Most semi-automatics, be they shotguns, rifles, or handguns rely on the recoil generated by the ammo at the time of detonation that in turn generate the gases which cycle the action.

You are correct in assuming that a few things came into play that caused your FTE's...the firearm was trying to cycle during recoil without the opposing force ( resistance ) necessary to make it cycle correctly, the mag tube had shook loose and was probably not chambering rounds properly, you were firing fast and heating the firearm chamber so that shells were sticking...all factors combined so that it was basically abused to the point of failure. A pump action shotgun put to the same task would probably survive this beating because of the manual action involved with cycling the action, though if that pump cycle is not done properly ( short stroking ), the same effect can occur, though for a different reason.

As far as the mag tube, hand tighten it as hard as possible, and check to make sure it hasn't shook loose after say every 50 rounds. Any mechanical device will fail if pushed to it's limit...

I was just wondering if mossy mag tubes are suppose to be able to spin off for cleaning? Like should i put some locktite on the threads and get a strap wrench to tighten it up?

You would want to be able to take off the mag tube for cleaning as well as field stripping... no ?!

Im not talking about the end cap, the end that spins into the reciever is what became loose.

The mag tube should be tighten to the receiver...but not permanetly sealed with loctite.

It is not uncommon for the magazine tube to loosen from the receiver, it will become part of your cleaning ritual to check the magazine tube, then hand tighten if necessary when ever you have the gun torn down for cleaning. Do not try tightening the tube with any tools like pliers, if you dent the magazine tube if will cause you a new set of problems, if it continues to loosen and that bothers you some people put a very small drop of BLUE Loctite on the magazine tube threads(DO NOT FLOOD THE THREADS) will hold the tube in place.
After a 100 or so rounds through your gun especially if your doing rapid firer I’ve heard of the bolt drying and having a tendency to slow during recoil, a few drops of oil on the bolt usually remedies the situation. You will get all kinds of failures if you are shooting a semi auto shotgun from the hip, in the handgun world we call that limp wristing. This happens when the shooter's grip is not firm enough to hold the frame of the pistol steady while the bolt or slide of the pistol cycles. This condition often results in a failure to complete the operating cycle.
Your shotgun should always be held firmly into your shoulder. I do not care for magazine dumps, I prefer to practice double tap. Double tap is an aimed first shot followed by a rapid will placed second shot. With this method the shooter keeps control of his gun, when shooting rapid consecutive shots the shooter is usually pushed back on his heels and the muzzle of the gun continues to rise until it‘s will of target. Hope some of this is helpful keep us posted and good shooting and stay safe.

Good explaination Marine !!

+1 rep for your expertise...

I know this is an old post but for future reference I have owned several shotguns over the past 20 years and have never had the mag tube where it is attached to the receiver come loose. They usually required a heat gun to even get them loose but that's just my experience.

Back