• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Really weird shooting occurred last night

nitesite

Average Guy
"Philanthropist"
9-1-1 sends call to county dispatch from a man saying somebody broke into his home and attacked him. Said the attacker was his cousin. Said that cousin started beating him and then pulled a knife which he held to his throat, and then the cousin bit him on the face.

So he pulled his pistol and shot the cousin. Several times. 9-1-1 tape shows that while making the call the homeowner is talking to dispatch and alternately yelling to cousin "That's what you get for breaking in and attacking me, you sorry M***herF*#ker!"

Dispatcher asks and again is told that the intruder/cousin has been shot several times and that man with gun is still on scene.

And then you hear both parties arguing loudly back and forth on the tape.

So shooter/homeowner/victim is still on scene when first officer goes 10-23. He's ordered to show hands and asked where the gun is. He tries to dig in his pocket as he says, "It's here in my pocket!" He almost gets shot before deputy reaches in his pocket and retrieves a .22LR Beretta Model 21 Bobcat.

Then my good buddy (the first officer on on scene) and another follow-on responding officer notice that the homeowner/shooter has no nose. Like, REALLY, his entire nose is gone from between his eyes to the top of his lip. You can see a hole (the sinus cavity) the size of a tennis ball between his lips and eyes. And he's pissed 'cuz he had to go and shoot his no-good 'cuz...

... Who has two bullet holes in his forehead.

One .22 round has entered near an eye and has exited thru the back of his skull. The other bullet entered near an ear and there is no evidence of an exit wound.

And the 'cuz is still screaming at the homeowner and pauses every now and then to answer questions from police about what happened. "Yeah, I drank some, and I smoked about $20 worth of crack and ended up here. I held a knife to his throat and bit his nose off. I guess sometime after that is when he shot me."

Weird. I don't think my friend will ever forget this one.

nitesite said:
One .22 round has entered near an eye and has exited thru the back of his skull. The other bullet entered near an ear and there is no evidence of an exit wound.

Luckily there were no vital organs in his head...

Holy crap! Thats crazy man! I wont forget it just reading about it!!!

I'm thinking that one of the responding officers (a very good friend of mine and was third on scene) is SERIOUSLY questioning his carry BUG which is a .22-cal North American Arms revolver.

I haven't yet asked him about it.

For real, I know the mantra, "shot placement is everything" but seriously, the dude was shot in the head twice. Where else are ya gonna put a round? Had it been through the gut, dude may not have even noticed.

I'm dumbfounded at the stupidity of people on drugs ...

nitesite said:
I'm thinking that one of the responding officers (a very good friend of mine and was third on scene) is SERIOUSLY questioning his carry BUG which is a .22-cal North American Arms revolver.

I'm stunned he ever thought a tiny 22lr revolver was a good idea!!!!

.40-.45 said:
nitesite said:

I'm stunned he ever thought a tiny 22lr revolver was a good idea!!!!

You'd be surprised how many "Chairborne Rangers" think 22 magnums are a legitimate defense round.

Wow, that's a crazy story !!

Tho I can't imagine why any police officer would think that a .22magnum NAA pistol would be a good backup...especially when bigger calibers are available in very small packages. If you're going to need that backup, you don't want to be fumbling around with a small firearm like that with no trigger guard... you may even shoot yourself trying to draw from concealment.

ripjack13 said:
I'm dumbfounded at the stupidity of people on drugs ...

Working in LE, EMS, FIRE, etc, you really see people at their worse....I personally love working these kinds of pts, its always a challenge.

So Nite- did the cousin make it? Sounds like they both had serious complications, especially the nose-less pt (compromised airway), and the cousin probably had some sort of inner cranial trauma (possible subdural bleed maybe?)- man, I would've loved to have been on that call, operating of course as a FF/EMT...LE's not my thing however I respect the hell out of all of them, especially officers that secure the scene before we go to work and make it safe for us to do our job.

COFirefighter said:
ripjack13 said:
So Nite- did the cousin make it? Sounds like they both had serious complications, especially the nose-less pt (compromised airway), and the cousin probably had some sort of inner cranial trauma (possible subdural bleed maybe?)- man, I would've loved to have been on that call, operating of course as a FF/EMT...LE's not my thing however I respect the hell out of all of them, especially officers that secure the scene before we go to work and make it safe for us to do our job.

Heard last night that the offender (the one with 2 GSWs) was moved from stable but guarded to being on life support.

The victim faces a lifelong series of complications and surgeries and prosthetics because, alas, his nose was never found.

How exactly does one let some known drug user, family or not, get in a position where they could bite off your nose?

nitesite said:
Honestly, I don't care...........

I agree wholeheartedly, most of the drug users we run on are just leeches off of hard working Americans and don't deserve a second chance.

Last week, we ran on a double heroin overdose. On scene we found two males and two females, all were transient runaway bums, ages 19-23, all shooting up heroin (sharing the needle, which is par for the course on these calls). The females were both unconscious and unresponsive with diminishing respiration and pulses, I spiked one of the pts and another EMT spiked the other, while the medics pushed Narcan (an anti-narcotic) which woke them up almost instantly (a truly amazing drug to see in action). The LE arrested the two males and we transported the females.

The VERY NEXT DAY, I was off shift, walking down the pedestrian mall with my gf's sister and I saw one of the same exact girls, back on the street, asking for money for more drugs. I was taken aback. She didn't even know how close she came to dying the day before and now she's back out within 24 hours, doing it all over again. Simply amazing.

Of course, not recognizing, she asked me for a dollar...

I carried a .22 as a hideout gun when I worked back East. I carried CCI Stingers in it. IF I had to use it, I was going to cram it up the guy's nose & empty it.

This is what happens when we derail darwinism, protect the stupid people from themselves and then not only allow, but encourage them to breed.

Wow - glad I'm reading this in the am - it is truly man at his worst. Terrible choices short and long term- result: pitiful, crack cousin on life support, 22 wielding victim ( a relative, none the less) disfigured for life with years of operations in his future and he'll never be the same again - will also have to process the death or long time veg. of a cousin. Ugh - you can't make this stuff up!!

Back