• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Reblueing my old Stevens 94

John A.

Unconstitutional laws are not laws.
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
As I mentioned in the trigger guard repair thread, I had intentions of stripping off the junky alumahyde spray paint and reblueing my trusty old 16 gauge.

The fastest and easiest way to accomplish that was with a brass wire wheel brush and electric drill. Not only did it make quick work out of removing the paint, but as you can see, it gave the metal a nice smooth, polished look that makes it much easier to apply a good blue job.

Stevens94mreblue001.jpg

I didn't have a lot of Birchwood Casey Perma Blue Paste left over from other work I've done and ran out after the first coat, which didn't give me the deep wet black look I was going for, but luckily I had enough to cover the entire receiver and barrel, which will prevent it from rusting in the meantime waiting for more to come in.

Here is a quick picture of the receiver and barrel before rinsing and oiling it down

Stevens94mreblue009.jpg

After I get another tube of the blue paste, I plan to do probably at least 2 more coats so there won't be any lighter color blue pigments.

Until then, I threw everything back together so I don't lose any parts, and to get a rough idea of how it's going to look when I am done.

stevensmodel94reblue013.jpg

stevensmodel94reblue017.jpg

Looking good John!
I did a Stevens M94 in 12 gauge a few months ago. It turned out nicely, shoots good but kicks like a mule.

The nice thing about the 94 is it can be opened by either a left or right hand shooter. The lever operates in either direction.

You can put a coat of oil on it until you get some more bluing to finish it with. The oil will give you a better preview of what it will look like when finished.

When you run out of the cleaner/degreaser (if you're using that), switch over to acetone which can be picked up from Wally World. The acetone cleans better and doesn't have to be rinsed like the cleaner/degreaser.

The receiver on my Iver Johnson 16 gauge which isn't blued so I used a cloth buffing wheel with some polishing compound to put a nice finish on it.

Thanks for the compliments gentlemen. I have enjoyed redoing this gun. It's been on my mind to do for a while.

Old Man, As far as I know, this shotgun can take either 12, 16, or 20 gauge barrels, provided that you have the correct forend for the shell size.

To be completely honest, I would actually like to pick up a 12 gauge barrel for it if I could find one.

But I know what you mean about this gun kicking. It does pretty good with 16 gauge too.

As for cleaner/degreaser, it wasn't necessary. I took it down to the bare metal. The first picture doesn't do it justice, but the receiver is silver in that picture.

Back