• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Receiver Mounted Light Q

Greetings, all. I just picked up my 590 Shockwave in .410 and began researching light options for home defense. I have an Olight mounted on my Windham Weaponry 7.62x39 rifle which I really like, but it isn't practical for the Mossberg. The mount I'm considering is a Monstrum brand that mates nicely with the drilled and tapped receiver and would give me solid footing at the forward end of the receiver. I don't think I need a laser as I am more concerned with target identification in the dark of night, but might consider a combo if can be mounted properly. It's gotta be hella bright, too - I've become a fan of the USB rechargeable LEDs. If I can find a suitable rig like that I'll likely get another for the wifey, too.

Gator mating season means those rascals are on the move - my next-door neighbor had one laying at this front door recently... and we live in a duplex with a retention pond behind us.

Therein lies my conundrum - most all of the lights I've looked at are made to mount UNDER a firearm. I'd like to find one that can be mounted OVER the receiver with the controls oriented in a manner that makes them accessible. The ability to "see" the front post would be a plus. Any recommendations will be considered, and thanks in advance.

What say you ?

CP, while I'm a Shockwave guy since the day they came out I don't have a 410 model.

However, I've found two issues concerning lights and the Shockwave platform.

First is the ability to operate the light and I think that's why most folks mount them forward so they can use their foreend thumb to operate the light. Several of us are using GG&G magazine tube mounts and Streamlight TLR-1 lights. This mounting, typically at the 9 or 3 o'clock position, still illuminates the bead. I would think the operation of a receiver mounted light might be challenging even with a remote switch. However, I assume you could use a presure switch on the grip.

Secondly, light placement has typically been forward to overcome barrel shadowing. While a lesser issue it does cause shadows and dark spots depending on the mounting location.

I'd take a light and temoprary mount it with ranger bands or soem masking tape to different locations and see the results. I know there seems to be a lack of accessories for the 410 model on the market but a little DIY will likely overcome. Back in my military days we found ways to mount lights and many other things before there was ever such a thing as a mount.

Good luck and hope this helps.

Regards

CP, just a thought on a light mount that might fit your 410 barrel or magazine tube.

Take a look at a SKS or AK-47 barrel mount for a light. I think the internal diameter might fit you Shockwave. I've seen them that will direct mount a 1 inch round flashlight and others with a rail which could mount something like a TLR-1.

Regards

CP, just a thought on a light mount that might fit your 410 barrel or magazine tube.

Take a look at a SKS or AK-47 barrel mount for a light. I think the internal diameter might fit you Shockwave. I've seen them that will direct mount a 1 inch round flashlight and others with a rail which could mount something like a TLR-1.

Regards
Good idea - I'll do some more poking around :) Thanks for the tip ! Edit to add - I think I found something that'll work :)

Last edited:
Back