• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Recoil is killing me...

hyp3r

Copper BB
Hello all,

I avidly shoot my AR15 and 9mm pistol.
I just bought my Mossberg 500 as I was interested in hunting with some friends in a couple of weeks. I took her out to the range to get some practice. I shot winchester 1oz rifled slugs, 2 3/4 inches. After 15 of those I felt like I was repeatedly punched by Holyfield right in the shoulder.
My AR has nowhere near that much kick, so needless to say I was surprised as hell and just as sore the following morning.
My shotgun is equipped with an ATI Shotforce Collapsing 6 position buttstock. I will admit to knowing alot more about AR's and Pistols than shotguns. Is there anything I can do to get less bite out of my new guard dog??

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Were you standing and shooting your 500, or hunkered down on a bench using a rest?

The Mossberg pad on the stock leaves a lot to be desired. Put a Limbsaver pad on it. They advertise a recoil reduction of around 70% I think and I believe they achieve it. It made mine a lot nicer to shoot.

Also, running low brass bird shot through it to get use to it and break it in will reduce recoil and be easier on your shoulder, not to mention you wallet.

Check this out:

There is a lot to controlling recoil, even with hunting arms, then the recoil pad.

If all else fails a lead sled can make sighting in a lot more enjoyable. ;)

Edited to fix embedded video link. /MikeD

Last edited:
+ 1 on the Limbsaver!

Also, the push-pull method will go a LONG way toward helping to mitigate recoil...

There is a lot to controlling recoil, even with hunting arms, then the recoil pad.
Agreed! I liked the video too...short, sweet and to the point.

MikeD said:

A huge +1 to this. I bought a 590 (my first shotgun) this summer and after shooting it the first time, I was looking at everything to reduce felt recoil. I got some great advice here: make sure the length of pull (LOP) is correct for you. The stocks that come from the factory are quite long and if the LOP is wrong, it can prevent you from getting the correct stance and grip. I took an inch off my stock and it's like shooting a different gun.

In addition, that video is a great explanation of what I've experienced in my few months of shooting: don't shoot a 12-gauge like a .22. Once I squared myself up behind it, my body absorbed most of the recoil rather than just my shoulder. Combine that with a shorter LOP and I didn't need to buy a recoil-reducing stock or a limbsaver.

I missed (or forgot about) the part where you said you had a collapsible stock, so ignore my comments about long stocks from the factory. However, the LOP comments should still stand: make sure your stock is set to the right LOP for you. You shouldn't feel like you have to over-reach for the fore end.

Hyp3r,

I've never found a way to tame 12 gauge slugs in a light shotgun like the mossberg 500. I can tolerate them but do not enjoy at all shooting them. If you can't find a way to tame the recoil then I would suggest switching ammo. Maybe try a reduced recoil slug. This may or may not reduce the effective range of the slug on game but it may make you practice with slugs more. The more you practice the better hits you will make. No sense in loading up to go hunting when you cannot stand to practice with the firearm or worse yet are afraid. That's how animals get wounded and suffer a slow death.

MikeD said:
Check this out:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gq74aiXn1b4[/youtube]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gq74aiXn1b4

If all else fails a lead sled can make sighting in a lot more enjoyable. ;)

WOW....
That's a big difference in recoil from a stance the correct way. And to think I shoot my 12 like I do my handgun. Gonna change my stance now for future outings. Wish I saw this earlier or maybe even taken a shotgun class or something. But I'm like most guys and don't admit we need help....lol

MikeD, good videoto post here, clear, concise and to the point!

I'll just add my +1 on the push pull method of shooting as well as stance. I have some video of shooting a magazine full of full power 00 buck one after the other with little noticable muzzle climb or movement /change in my posture from the recoil.

Slugs and 00 buck used to bother me too, but after correcting the length of pull (you have the adjustable so your good there) squaring up my stance and implementing the push/pull method, all has been well and pleasurable shootin! ;)

True story. I decided to put Limbsavers on my Maverick 88s. They work great. I also bought a double barrel Stoeger Uplander that kicks pretty hard (1/8" hard plastic buttplate). I took one of the original Maverick recoil pads and screwed it onto the Uplander. Night and day improvement. I can now simultaneously fire two rounds of buckshot without pain. Take care. Tom Worthington

Am I the only one who doesn't see the point of the limb saver for the majority of applications? Proper fundamentals can mitigate the recoil.

Am I the only one who doesn't see the point of the limb saver for the majority of applications? Proper fundamentals can mitigate the recoil.

True but every little bit helps. ;-D

Like MikeD said every bi t helps.
Push and pull helps but the limb saver does absorb a lot of recoil.

Back