• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Recoil is killing me...

I do believe LimbSavers and other recoil pads have a legitimate purpose.

I'm a big proponent of their use for new shooters. If no instruction is available, a recoil pad can help compensate for a lack of technique while a new shooter learns the weapon mechanics. How many folks actually take shooting classes/lessons vs. simply just picking things up on their own, from friends, or from sites like ours? Without a decent recoil pad, a new shooter's first experience with a 12 gauge can be quite unpleasant and in some cases enough to make them not want to shoot it again. I look at a pad as effective as a LimbSaver as sort of "training wheels" for shotguns. Many are simply intimidated by shotgun recoil. Aside from mitigating recoil a cushy pad can be a valuable tool in helping to reduce a new shooter's fear/anxiety which can be their most difficult obstacle. Once a shooter's comfort level and confidence with the weapon improves, establishing proper technique becomes a lot easier.

Other subsets of shooters might not shoot enough to practice proper technique, or even with practice still find that they need the extra padding. Everyone's comfort level is different and what works well for some doesn't always work for all...

Lazy. I think you "almost" said it's ok for some folks "newbies/old timers" to use a recoil pad.

I will add that while proper form and technique are key, it's not possible to be perfect in every situation. Whether hunting in the field, competing or protecting your home, not every situation is going to allow you to use the perfect form. The Limbsaver will help at these times. There is no single solution, just a bunch of options to help.

Lazy. I think you "almost" said it's ok for some folks "newbies/old timers" to use a recoil pad.

Haha, I feel that everyone should do what works best for them.

The range I used to go to required all shooters to sit at a bench. There were 2'x2' openings front 'n center of the benches that we could shoot through and the rest was enclosed in wire screen. The only shotgun ammo allowed was slugs. With no way to properly use my body as a shock absorber, all of the recoil energy went right into my shoulder. You best believe having to shoot full power and even low recoil slugs while seated with my elbows on a bench was quite uncomfortable. The slip-on LimbSavers were the only thing that kept me shooting. My new range is an open set-up and I can shoot any way I want. I still used the recoil pads for a good while until I was shown the push/pull technique and now I don't need them at all.

Bottom line for me, use 'em if you need 'em...

Even a cheap slip on pad works well for continues shooting (clay shooting) but gun fit and technique is important. I replaced the hard as nails'butt pad on my 835 with a softer compound screw on replacement, big difference in comfort'

Sent from my U9200 using Tapatalk

Gun fit is a big part of it. A Remington trap stock feels like a punch in the face to me. Had a 375 H&H Magnum M70 Win. that fit me and recoil was not bad with the push-pull.

I see no reason to not have a recoil pad on a 12 ga. You may find yourself injured and then the pad could make a big difference.

For defense, I like the tactical lower velocity OO buck. Tames the recoil and throws a better pattern.

With slugs from the bench, set the rest high so that your back is straight up, not leaning forward. Then dont tighten your back up. Also works with high recoil rifles.

If your State Requires that you Plug your Shotgun for Hunting, You might want to Try a Bar of Lead that fits the Mag Tube Instead of the Standard Wood or Plastic One.
Adding Weight does Wonders Taming the Kick of a 12GA.
I even Epoxied a Bar of Lead Inside the Butt of my Light Weight Synthetic Stocked Black Powder Rifle.
Now it Hardly Kicks at all. Been Thinkin' of doin' the Same Thing to my .444 Marlin.
UncleSarge58

Back