• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Recoil Reduction

MJMurph1947

Copper BB
I recently purchased a Mossberg SA20 Tactical. I am in wheelchair and the shotgun has a recoil that is a little uncomfortable with an oz of buckshot. Is there anything like the Blackhawk recoil reducing stocks that will work on my SA20? Most of the systems I have looked at only seem to work with pump or double barreled shotguns. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike

i'll see what i can find out for ya...

Welcome aboard Sir,

If it turns out there's no recoil reducing stock available for the SA20, you may want to try a Limbsaver recoil pad. I run one on my 590a1 and it reduces the recoil just as effectively as the Blackhawk Knoxx recoil reducing stock on my 590. It's very comfortable to shoot, even for extended periods. They make precision fit and grind-to-fit models that may work for your stock. If not, they make a slip-on version as well. Mine is a slip-on and I'm able to use it on a few of my other rifles too...

Limbsaver Recoil Pads

Hi Mike!!! Glad to have you here!

I hope we can find some info for you, but the problem I see is the gas system which is cycled into the tube in the stock, which is why I believe there is little if any aftermarket support.

The Limbsaver recoil pad, or maybe a Pachmayr could be the way to go. It will add a little length to the stock which is fine if you dont have any issues with the factory length as it is.

Pachmayr Decelarator slip on recoil pad
dec-slip-on-pads-lge.jpg

I havent tried these and I know many folks here use the Limbsaver and they will come highly recommended.

I think there just isnt enough demand for a recoil reduction stock for the SA20 to get aftermarket companies on board and the gas system makes it difficult at best to develope.

A comparrison;
The 930 has been around for some time now, longer if you consider the 9200. It has become a very much in demand firearm for a lot of reasons. The price cant be beat when compared to comparable guns like the FNH SLP and Benelli Super Nova and M4. The benelli is at least a $1000 gun and has difficulty cycling light loads and almost insists on being fed full power shotshells and due to the inertia driven gas system, it recoils heavier than other firearms using gas blowback (like the 930). The FNH SLP which sells easy for $800 has two different gas seals, one for heavier loads and another for lighter loads. But that means the gun has to be partially broken down to change it out, even if it only takes a few minutes. Now, the 930. A 930 with a field barrel and accu choke set and is among one of the softest shooting auto 12 ga. on the market, can be had for $500. It will digest anything with no modififcation, possibly only needing some initial breakin to do so. I know Dr. D. Honovich, our forum owner, has run a few thousand rounds through his without needing anymore than routine cleaning.

The moral of that story is that even with the reliability and popularity of the 930 since its introduction to the market at large, an aftermarket stock in either a short Length Of Pull (LOP) or any sort of adjustable stock has yet to be developed. So I just dont see it happening with the SA20 either. I wish I could bring you better news.

It may be entirely possible to remove an inch from the stock, fit the factory recoil pad back on, and then fit a slip on aftermarket recoil pad to it and still be at a factory LOP.

I think either of those two linked above could be just the thing!

Hi Mike, well I searched high n low. No luck. However I send Blackhawk an email asking them for any info on the fit. So when they reply I'll let ya know.

And I forgot to tell ya, howdy MJMurph1947 and welcome to the club!

As mentioned before, a Limbsaver recoil pad makes a significant difference! And, a very reasonable cost for such an improvement.

HTC Vision Custom

As others have already stated there are no aftermarket stocks available for the Mossberg SA-20 yet. Your best option would be to try one of the recoil reducing buttpads made by limbsaver, pachmayr or kick-eez.

Thank you all very much for the information. It sure does make me feel welcome at your forum. I think that I will try a slip-on recoil pad. Not really expensive and if a stock does come along it can probably still be used with that stock. I am surprised that a recoil pad can make that much difference in preceived recoil, but it sure is worth the try with all your recommendations.

Thanks,
Mike

PS
I'll probably have alot more questions since the SA20 is my first shotgum purchase in almost 40 years. I'm really out of the loop.

Its cool Murph! And you are definitely welcome here and among friends! Ask away with whatever comes up!

The recoil pads work because of the difference in construction and materials, some have "cells" in them or more air space, are more rubbery or spongey...

My only issue with slip on recoil pads is the length they add to the stock. For some its never an issue at all and to wing shooters who have always shot standing "bladed" it probably wont be a problem. I shoot very square with my guns so I like a shorter stock.

It comes down to what works for you and not for anyone else. Its preference and feel, what makes the gun feel natural in your hands and when you shoulder it. get that figured out and your ahead of the curve Murph! ;)

One more tidbit...go with the limbsaver pad. Its more forgiving than a pachmyer.

Your welcome too. Glad to have you among us. And the only dumb question is the one you don't ask. So don't be a scared to ask em.

Hi Mike! Good news..I think...
I just got an email from Blackhawk and here's what they said...

Marc,

Thank you for your interest in ATK/BLACKHAWK! and our Knoxx line of stocks. Our Knoxx SpecOps Adjustable shotgun stocks for the Mossberg line of pump shotguns are designed for the 12 gauge model. There were some instances where Mossberg used the same receiver on the 20 gauge as the 12 gauge; so the stock would work on those. The problem lies in the fact that there is no way of knowing (serial number, model year) if your 20 gauge has the same receiver as the 12 gauge or not. We find aprox. 60 to 70 percent fit. Please let me know if you have any questions, and I will be happy to assist.

Best regards,

John B. Brantley

Knoxx Technical Support / LE Customer Service Representative
ATK Accessories – BLACKHAWK!
ATK Security and Sporting
6160 Commander Parkway
Norfolk, VA 23502-2052 USA
Office: 800.694.5263 x3243
Fax: 888.830.2013

Email: john.brantley@atk.com

Follow us on:
Federal Premium: Facebook | YouTube
BLACKHAWK!: Facebook | YouTube

"HONOR. As A Way Of Life."

So..I if you can figure out if you your receiver is the same as some 12g, then you're in luck. Maybe go to a gun shop and ask if you can check them out to see if your stock fits theirs. trial and error.

Also..if you'd like to send O.F.Mossberg an email asking them what fits what, then here's their addy...

(800) 363-3555, fax (830) 773-5893, or email service@mossberg.com

let us know how it turns out!
cheers!!

I'm also thinking that it's possible that there are no recoil reducing stocks for these autoloaders because it might interfere with the cycling of the next round.

I am quite interested in knowing just how much recoil an SA-20 generates. My wife is very recoil sensitive. Even adding a CompStock to a 20 gauge 500 still generated too much recoil for her. I thought that an SA-20 might be just the ticket for her to do some comfortable shotgunning. After reading this, I'm reconsidering. Take care. Tom Worthington.

Back