• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

reflex sight question

Looking at mounting a sightmark reflex red dot on my picattiny rail. Will I be able to see over the front sight with this?

Sitemark lists dimensions on their website BUT it may still be a guessing game until you know exactly where the optics sit in those dimensions. Have you considered having a co-witness setup where you can use the iron sights through the reflex sight as well? I might get pics and measurements of the existing sights and have a talk with Sightmark.

Man, that’s going to be close.....I would guess that you will see the post in the reticle, the posts are tall. I had a reflex with the bead on and no problem but I could imagine it with the post and I bet you see it.

Right - post, not flip up. Measure carefully - talk to company. You can probably live with it creeping into the bottom of the field of vision but well away from the reticle.

Maybe I'm not comparing to apples to apples....This stuff can be so confusing. So here is a youtube video that is exactly the model I have, at 1:10 he goes over the stock sights, talks about the Truglo and states that he can use the stock GRS and see under the Truglo. What if it's pitch black? Will this setup work?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3LZ2jzaf_c

Thanks in advance guy's

mingaa said:
Sitemark lists dimensions on their website BUT it may still be a guessing game until you know exactly where the optics sit in those dimensions. Have you considered having a co-witness setup where you can use the iron sights through the reflex sight as well? I might get pics and measurements of the existing sights and have a talk with Sightmark.

It seems that if I were to go with the Truglo I would be able to have the option to co-witness. I may need some sort of riser, but it seems to be a good setup based on the above video. Not sure that can be done with the Sitemark. My issue is how well will this Truglo work in the dark vs the Sitemark....?

huskers15 said:
Maybe I'm not comparing to apples to apples....This stuff can be so confusing. So here is a youtube video that is exactly the model I have, at 1:10 he goes over the stock sights, talks about the Truglo and states that he can use the stock GRS and see under the Truglo. What if it's pitch black? Will this setup work?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3LZ2jzaf_c

Thanks in advance guy's

I watched that yesterday and looked at the 1:10 portion and more and he shows the Hi Viz front sight (stock? I don't think so) and he provides the briefest flash of the red dot where you CAN momentarily see the front sight. I don't hear him comment on using both though why address the front sight if it is unable to be used. Co-witness is a nice feature but has to be set up just right. Lots of red dot sights could probably work if you knew the right combination OR were able to accurately gauge the height of your iron sights vs the height of the optics view area.

Co-witness usually involves folding iron sights. Here's an image showing the difference between an absolute co-witness and 1/3 co-witness setup.

8382069614_466d0bc87f.jpg

huskers15 said:
mingaa said:

It seems that if I were to go with the Truglo I would be able to have the option to co-witness. I may need some sort of riser, but it seems to be a good setup based on the above video. Not sure that can be done with the Sitemark. My issue is how well will this Truglo work in the dark vs the Sitemark....?
Why would the Sitemark and the Truglo work differently. They both make open and closed reticle sights. What is the issue about after dark? I don't understand - neither illuminates - they provide a red dot for the purposes of aim only. That dot can, in fact be quite bright at night. My Vortex red dot has a night setting that drops the dot illumination significantly for night time use.

Have a look at the entire line of red dot products offered by both companies, measure your sight height (post pics here) and talk to an informed tech person once you have identified a sight model or two that you think may work. With a rail mount almost any height adjustment is going to be possible.

I'm running a Bushnell Trophy Red dot on Burris medium rings (30mm).
It is not co-witnessed but I can use the iron sights on my SA 20 tactical through the bottom third of the Bushnell sight.

DSC_0990a.jpg

DSC_0962a.jpg

Not co-witnessed

DSC_0959a.jpg

The iron sights can still be used.

Back