• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Reflex Sights

Chris C

.270 WIN
I'm really lusting over reflex sights for my Mossie 500. Oli uses a Primary Arms Micro Reflex Green Dot sight and highly proclaims it pluses...........but at close to $250 it's way out of my range. Anyone have a green dot reflex they recommend that's under $100................or am I just wishing in the wind? (is that anything like pissing in the wind????? :lol: )

Chris

“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom. The cause of liberty, the cause of America, cannot succeed with any lesser effort.”—John F. Kennedy (1917-1963) 35th President of the United States

lol... green dot for under $100... lol.... I think Truglo has a few green dot reflexes around that price but I doubt they are worth it... I had a truglo that cost $75 and it was trash.. bought a $40 Sightmark and it has performed flawlessly. Both red dot however... Also personal experiences, of which yours may vary.

Is there any specific reason you want a GREEN dot? (keep in mind that if you get a RED/GREEN dot that when you switch colors or sight style you must re-sight-in your sight.)

Have a Goodnight (My Time)
Rick

where are you seeing PA reflexes at that price? , mine was like 100 or so

Itsricmo said:
Is there any specific reason you want a GREEN dot?

I've read the green dot is easier to see in most situations. I've never seen the green dot, but have used a red dot and there were times in the daylight I couldn't see it. I read an article which suggested the green over the red for that reason.

oli700 said:
where are you seeing PA reflexes at that price? , mine was like 100 or so

oli, I can't seem to find where I was when I saw the $200+ price. But in re-reading our PMs I noticed another brand that you suggested turned out to be $249. Maybe I was just confused and remembered it incorrectly. So far, the PA mini green dot reflexes seem to be available under $100.

Green is easier to see in all conditions, depending on what your shotgun is used for. HD....Work......do not buy cheap reflex sights. If this is for a range toy then its fine.....You will be much happier with a quality sight than a Chinese knock off. Just my .02
Here is a pic of my trijicon RMR green dot that takes no batterirs, I know it's out of your price point but it only cost a few more dollars to go first class.
ibYWT3IoSU9Io.jpg

idtpj7YZ0Vu1I.jpg

Bushnell Trophy makes a 4 reticle red or green reticle similiar to the one I use on my 500. And since it's a 30mm tube body, allows you to use aimpoint scope mounts.

They are currently on clearance at midwayusa, so they're probably discontinuing them, but the red one I have has been great for years.

And it's under $100. They have a cross hair reticle, two different size dots, and a donut/dot reticle like the Eotech, only a smaller oute3r ring, which I like.

KentuckyWindage said:
Green is easier to see in all conditions, depending on what your shotgun is used for. HD....Work......do not buy cheap reflex sights. If this is for a range toy then its fine.....You will be much happier with a quality sight than a Chinese knock off. Just my .02
Here is a pic of my trijicon RMR green dot that takes no batterirs, I know it's out of your price point but it only cost a few more dollars to go first class.

Well, lets see.............I could sell my Mossie 500 and the new stock and barrel on order for it, the Ruger 10-22 with it's new stock, and maybe my first-born and be able to afford the Trigicon. Of course, then I'd not need it. :lol: Think I'll pass on spending "a few more dollars to go first class". All kidding aside, thanks for the suggestion. I'm sure it's a great sight..........just not one I want to spend my money on.

John A said:
Bushnell Trophy makes a 4 reticle red or green reticle similiar to the one I use on my 500. And since it's a 30mm tube body, allows you to use aimpoint scope mounts.

They are currently on clearance at midwayusa, so they're probably discontinuing them, but the red one I have has been great for years.

And it's under $100. They have a cross hair reticle, two different size dots, and a donut/dot reticle like the Eotech, only a smaller oute3r ring, which I like.

Thanks for the suggestion.

You’ll save on batt's lol..... the reason I don’t have it on my defensive shotgun anymore. It was great but it ran out of batt's one day. Couldn’t hit a damn thing, didn’t like it......now I just use a tritium bead

I did for a while, I liked it but the day it ran out of juice it sucked. I keep a battery and did change it in the field but the POI was off a little and it took long enough that if I was in a bad situation it would have been over for me. The sight worked awesome and it was every bit as fast as a bead, maybe faster, as a fun gun or a range gun it would be just fine for me, but as it stands my defensive weapons aren’t getting any more sights that have batteries unless I can have iron sights as a backup…..I was already encroaching on too much stuff bolted to my gun status……

I wanted to try a Hogue stock and took off the reflex because any optic on a shotgun without some sort of creek riser doesn’t work for me. I can’t stand lifting my head up that high to acquire sight picture on a heavy recoiling firearm......AR ok, AK ok but SG not for me. I ended up liking the tritium bead and Hogue so much I didn’t look back....

Heck, I just bought the Havilan Maxmount so I could have shells on the side and a picatinny rail on top to hold a sight. Thought an optic sight was the way to go. :(

Me too, turns out the trade off's the reflex has was too high a price for me and I wasn’t willing to try to figure out a BUIS for it. You will like it fine as long as you are set up right for it.
It’s all about preference and you’re figuring out yours.
I’ve got to have a good cheek weld, and drop dead reliability. At first I was worried about knocking around the sight. So I bought the Burris Picatinny Protector and it works awesome, very durable.
Then I was worried about battery life. It has good life but it does eventually run out, no warning. To mitigate this I made a spot on the gun for a spare battery and wrench to change the battery, good to go. The day it ran out I did a little experiment.....been shooting all my life, can shoot most things well but shotguns and rifles, really well....I couldn’t hit a damn thing just looking through the glass with no dot...."ok" I said, change it out and get firing asap. Took about 5 minutes, long enough to get me dead...once I got the battery in the sight was off about 6 inches to the right firing slugs....just unacceptable for me.

For some folks it is the way to go though so don’t get discouraged. I need to have everything just so , some people can deal with BUIS, batteries, shitty cheek weld on a shot gun, I can’t. FWIW, green dot is more visible when it comes to lasers, dot sight reticles are much more forgiving when in red, but green is a little nicer to see….

Thanks for your comments............and experienced insight. Guess I'll just have to work it out for myself. I just tend to prefer asking lots of questions when getting into something new so I don't waste a lot of $$ getting to where I want to be.

I, too, prefer being able to get my cheek down on the right spot and solid every time........and I don't like having to lift my head to see through a sight. Guess I'll just have to play with it and sell anything I buy that I don't like. Just the nature of the beast, I imagine. My biggest problem has to do with (ugh!) age! :eek: My old eyes, even with tri-focal lenses, can't see iron sights. It's been a huge problem with my handguns. Had to instal XS Big Dot sights on everything...........and I still can't really see them well enough. ARG!

your smart to ask questions, sometimes you just have to see for yourself, thats how I am.
Are you looking for an HD gun or a combat gun?

What kind of shotgun? Ha-ha! I bought a 500, with a 28" barrel. Have an 18 1/2" barrel on order, the Havilan shell holder with attached picatinny rail. I've ordered a standard Hogue overmolded stock and fore-grip in winter camo. I'll be cutting the stock down to 12". I'm trying to build a home defense shotgun that I can trade out the barrel and use for hunting. I used to shoot dove and quail and think I'd enjoy that once again. I live in an area with a lot of deer...........small, but deer just the same. Even though I have a really nice custom built Swedish Mauser with a Tinney trigger and a nice 1.5-5 Leopold sight for my deer rifle, I think a slug would be good in my area, so think the 28" barrel would work great for that................hence the reflex sight desire. Combat? Though I believe someday we all may have to consider ourselves in combat, my desire is for a HD/Hunting firearm right now.

Chris

“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom. The cause of liberty, the cause of America, cannot succeed with any lesser effort.”—John F. Kennedy (1917-1963) 35th President of the United States

For the HD half, considering your eye sight have you given any thought to just running a real bright light and using a nice big bead? It would offer you a chance to blind a would-be assailant and also give you the best viability for any situation in your home. At HD ranges a focused beam light mounted down by the muzzle would honestly give you all you need using buck shot....as JohnA says "if its lit , its hit"

I've been considering adding a strobe/light/green lazer to my list of "things to purchase", so I agree with you for HD. For hunting I'm thinking a green dot............either reflex or tube type........just can't decide which.

Okay, I've yet another question:

The only reason I want an optic sight (reflex or tube) is for the hunting of deer, or other long distant daylight targets. (whatever they might be! ;)) With that in mind, are there any recommendations in the sub or just over $100 range that are pretty decent?

Chris

Anyone?

Chris

Back