• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Reloading goal - Low recoil slug

I have been using Winchester Ranger 1oz low recoil slugs for 3-gun competitions and have good success with then. I am using a Mossberg 930 SPX (smooth barrel) and need a decently accurate, low recoil ~1200fps recipe out to 100 yards.

I am planning on using Lee 1oz slugs but everything else is up in the air right now. From the research I have done it doesn't seem like are not many good manuals that have slug info out there and even less with low recoil recipes.

What are your thoughts?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Re: Reloading goal - Low recoil slug

Unless you find someone who is loading for the 930 you are going to have a lot of trial and error. I would start with a published load and starts reducing the charge by 10% untill your shotgun wont cycle anymore. Just keep adding nitro card slivers under the slug to take up the space you will lose from reducing the charge, the Lee runs better on top of a nitro card anyway. When you get to the point where your shotgun wont cycle, add back 10% that would probably be the lowest reliable cycling round for your particular gun. Document everything and mark the hulls so you don’t mix things up.

I waited for oli to chime in, and sure enough he nailed it!

Thanks for replying, that sounds like a solid plan. Oli, what reloading manual do you recommend that has slug data in it?

If i were to load exclusively Lee 1oz I would just use the paper that comes with the slug mold. The Lyman Shotshell 5th edition has good info but for Lee slugs it is worthless other than IDing hulls. All my slug data is based off the paper that comes with the mold......

Thanks!

Is there any concern regarding if the load is too light as it pertains to chamber pressure? For instance, if the load is too light and the slug does not make it out of the barrel, all that pressure instead of going out the barrel is now solely directed back toward the receiver. Could that be dangerous or am I over thinking it?

I am not so much concerned about the slug getting stuck in the barrel, that should be fairly easy to pound out but I also don't want to blow the gun and myself up because of pressure not having a proper release.

millsusaf said:
Is there any concern regarding if the load is too light as it pertains to chamber pressure? For instance, if the load is too light and the slug does not make it out of the barrel, all that pressure instead of going out the barrel is now solely directed back toward the receiver.

There still isn’t as much pressure a load that makes it out the end of the barrel

millsusaf said:
I am not so much concerned about the slug getting stuck in the barrel, that should be fairly easy to pound out but I also don't want to blow the gun and myself up because of pressure not having a proper release.

The concern doesn’t come till you touch off the next round in line. Since you have a semi that next shot might come way faster than your brain can say “hey. Why didn’t I hit that?.....” Boom. It might be easy to pound out a stuck slug back toward the chamber but when you hit it with the next round not so much.

oli700 said:
millsusaf said:
Is there any concern regarding if the load is too light as it pertains to chamber pressure? For instance, if the load is too light and the slug does not make it out of the barrel, all that pressure instead of going out the barrel is now solely directed back toward the receiver.

There still isn’t as much pressure a load that makes it out the end of the barrel

millsusaf said:

The concern doesn’t come till you touch off the next round in line. Since you have a semi that next shot might come way faster than your brain can say “hey. Why didn’t I hit that?.....” Boom. It might be easy to pound out a stuck slug back toward the chamber but when you hit it with the next round not so much.

Good points, thanks. You are right, shooting for load testing HAS to be a completely different thing than normal shooting.

Back