• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Reloading Revisted*

Itsricmo

.30-06
Instead of creating a whole other thread to further this previous discussion, I am going to start again here:

Please Skip to the bottom of page 1 to Pick up on the new conversation, marked with RED lettering "REVISITED" :D

Re: Reloading 00 Buck Shot Question

the fed top guns can be reloaded with 00. The hull is ok, probably the bottom of the barrel as far as quality......right below Winchester universal ammo. Look for load data using "Federal plastic hull, paper base wad".

Okay Thanks Oli! Like I said this is not going to be competition grade stuff! Just getting into reloading and would like some extra 00 Buck :D

The high-brass hulls do not denote a stronger hull, only that the load is heavier in payload or powder charge or both. It's just a quick reference for your eye to catch if shells get mixed together.

Have fun!

I have read that the "high brass" is a left over gimmick from paper hulled shot shells. That you could essentially put the same charge in a regular "low brass" hull but only do it once because the hull would become brittle.. I don't think I want to try a "full charge" 00 Buck mag load in a skeet/trap hull.

I load 1700 fps slugs in Remington gun clubs and Win AA.....have you ever shot a 1700 fps slug ? you almost cant buy them that stout in a 2 3/4.

High brass means nothing

WHOA! Are those smooth bore or rifled shotgun fired?? I think you are going to need to share some loads for a beginner :)

I am going with a Smooth Bore 18.5" barrel. I was looking at Gualandi Slugs (495grns) or Lee 525 Slugs. Both get great reviews but few resources for loads

REVISITED HERE

Okay, so I was asked by my reluctant Fiance: "What do you want for Christmas this year?"

I thought about it for a little and I put into consideration that we are on a tighter than normal budget right now with the Railroad being slowed due to coal, yotta yotta yotta...

I decided I have longed to begin reloading and have searched and searched again and read and reread information on reloading shotshells. So I decided to keep it simple and start with some basic tools. I asked for the Lee Load-All II in 12 gauge and a Powder Measures/Scale from Lyman to be a little more precise in my charges than the, well known, crappy bushings that come with the Load-All.

Which this all comes up to this point where I decided to revisit this thread and Zombiefy a Dead Thread :p

My plans remain to reload Buck Shot and Slugs but I am going to start with slugs. Specifically the Lyman* 525 Slugs and I will be getting a 100pc "Reloader Kit" from Gardner's Cache. The "Kit" comes with 100 slugs, 100 Hulls and 100 Wads. As well the kit will include a list of loads the company recommends trying. I only need to supply the Powder, but am in conversation to find out if I need supply Primers as well... no problem at all.

Since this thread was last discussed, anyone have any new experiences or ideas? Any new loads that worked or tricks to try?

EDITED TO ADDRESS GRAMATCIAL ERRORS (yes I am aware that isn't a word haha) :lol:

I wish I had something to add to your thread re-visit. I don't have any knowledge as to Gardners Cache, They sound like a helpful seller, though!

They have a pretty good reputation at Shotgunworld, and a few reloader sites I have come across. I figure 100 slugs for $40 ain't too bad when I need only powder and maybe primers. Giving it a whirl can't hurt too bad! I am probably going to grab a Lyman 5th Edition too!

Rumor has that the book has buckshot and slug loads and lots of helpful information for reloaders. Like I am still confused on the nitro cards and such... When, where, how?? Lol

I want to try and make sabot rounds for a rifled choke using 45 and 50 cal pistol bullets. That will be exciting haha :)

Hey guys,

Just came across this thread. Can someone provide a "Need" list for reloading Buck/Slugs? I am looking for a comprehensive list, starting from scratch, limited reloading experience (I helped my father when I was a kid, but it was the pull the lever thing, he took care of everything else). Also a good to have list would be nice. Thanks

Frank

you can get into sweet reloading set up for that.

Are you going to be buying shot and slug or casting it?

oli,

I am open to both options. I like the idea of becoming self reliant (Casting). But I think starting out I will start with the buying. I am all for options. Ideally for that price range I am looking for the components to make the rounds as well, not just the equipment.

After just ordering $250.00 of ammo, and only getting 200 rounds, I know there is a better way.

Frank

This is the press I use.
http://www.precisionreloading.com/mm5/m ... STAGE_12GA

Thing is with 00 buck none of the reloades will drop the shot, you have to hand stack it ., slugs have to be put in by hand too, its no biggie really.

Lyman Shotshell #5
http://www.precisionreloading.com/mm5/m ... L_MAN_SHOT

this book in very valuable on hull ID and has great 00 buck load data. It also has Lyman slug data…..but thats for casting. Also has a great section on the MEC reloaders.

Wads, nitro cards, primers are all cheap. We are talking like 15 bucks for a 1000 wads, 3.50 for 100 primers……hulls you can collect or buy super cheap target loads and reload the hulls with 00 buck and slugs. Gun clubs around here let you rummage around the trash cans for hulls and most the time there is a lot.
Powder it going to run you about 16 to 25 bucks a pound, you will get anywhere between 175 to 250 rounds per pound depending on the charge and powder…..I like Blue Dot and Herco for my reloads.

I cast so I don’t have any info about buying 00B or slugs, this is where the money saving will go south but still ok and you can load premium components for less than you can buy them for.

couple of my threads here….there are a couple more out there

viewtopic.php?f=103&t=2154

viewtopic.php?f=103&t=1254&start=25

I still want that Oli exclusive load for 00 Buck :) Would get some pep in my step for reloading if I had the information to start :) Every where I look there is nothing as far as data... :(

oli700 said:
This is the press I use.
http://www.precisionreloading.com/mm5/m ... STAGE_12GA

Thing is with 00 buck none of the reloades will drop the shot, you have to hand stack it ., slugs have to be put in by hand too, its no biggie really.

Lyman Shotshell #5
http://www.precisionreloading.com/mm5/m ... L_MAN_SHOT

this book in very valuable on hull ID and has great 00 buck load data. It also has Lyman slug data…..but thats for casting. Also has a great section on the MEC reloaders.

Wads, nitro cards, primers are all cheap. We are talking like 15 bucks for a 1000 wads, 3.50 for 100 primers……hulls you can collect or buy super cheap target loads and reload the hulls with 00 buck and slugs. Gun clubs around here let you rummage around the trash cans for hulls and most the time there is a lot.
Powder it going to run you about 16 to 25 bucks a pound, you will get anywhere between 175 to 250 rounds per pound depending on the charge and powder…..I like Blue Dot and Herco for my reloads.

I cast so I don’t have any info about buying 00B or slugs, this is where the money saving will go south but still ok and you can load premium components for less than you can buy them for.

couple of my threads here….there are a couple more out there

viewtopic.php?f=103&t=2154

viewtopic.php?f=103&t=1254&start=25

Oli,

Thanks for the info. Is that press all I need? I noticed in the description that it said it didn't come with a couple of items. I noticed they have all the components to reload on that sight, but I have no clue what to get as far as hulls, wads, cards, etc. Do you, or anyone else have a recipe for a buck & slug load I can load with the components from that sight? I also would plan on getting the 1 oz slug mold ($19.00) since they don't have already cast slugs. What is required for casting slugs? If possible, I would like to make just one order to start with.

Thanks again.

Frank

Back