• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Reloading Revisted*

Frank Castle said:
Thanks for the info. Is that press all I need? I noticed in the description that it said it didn't come with a couple of items. I noticed they have all the components to reload on that sight, but I have no clue what to get as far as hulls, wads, cards, etc.
I also would plan on getting the 1 oz slug mold ($19.00) since they don't have already cast slugs. What is required for casting slugs? If possible, I would like to make just one order to start with.

Thanks again.

Frank

Nitro cards, wads and stuff
http://www.ballisticproducts.com/products.asp?dept=104
http://www.grafs.com/

If you want to load bird/target loads you might want different charge bar. They drop the shot in different weights, I believe the MEC comes with a 1 ounce bar or something. http://www.precisionreloading.com/mm5/m ... _LEAD_CHRG

The powder bushings will be needed eventually, I think it comes with a couple but when you figure out a load you want to try, you look on the bushing scale and use the numbered bushings. The chart comes with the MEC and it tells you what bushing to use for what powder but its not right on so you will grab a few and see what they actually drop for you. http://www.precisionreloading.com/mm5/m ... D_BUSH_MEC

You will need a scale to double check the bushing powder drop. I have a cheap digital but it’s on its way out. It is starting to change readings just sitting there so we are back to using the beam scale. Just browse scales for reloading and pick one in your budget….usually you get what you pay for in scales.
If you start casting you will want some calipers as well….just good to have around

For casting…..and a lot of research and asking
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/637732 ... e-110-volt
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/770274 ... gauge-1-oz
Flux out the impurities of your lead in a pot separate from you casting pot

Itsricmo said:
I still want that Oli exclusive load for 00 Buck :) Would get some pep in my step for reloading if I had the information to start :) Every where I look there is nothing as far as data... :(

Frank Castle said:
Do you, or anyone else have a recipe for a buck & slug load I can load with the components from that sight?

You guys better show me something…..
viewtopic.php?f=103&t=6263

Oil,

Thanks!!! As soon as I get the funds rounded up, I am going to start ordering. Once I have everything in place, and in production, I will post it up.

Frank

Frank Castle said:
What is required for casting slugs?

Simple answer... Smelter/Furnace - Mold and Lead :p

I have seen people use those handheld dippers and melt the lead with a torch too though!! Do you have lead? If not you can usually go to the nearest auto mechanic that changes and balances tire, they will give you the lead weights because they don't want to pay for them to get disposed of.

Itsricmo said:
Frank Castle said:
What is required for casting slugs?

Simple answer... Smelter/Furnace - Mold and Lead :p

I have seen people use those handheld dippers and melt the lead with a torch too though!! Do you have lead? If not you can usually go to the nearest auto mechanic that changes and balances tire, they will give you the lead weights because they don't want to pay for them to get disposed of.

Fluxing material, mold lube, ingot mold, proper mix ratio for the projectile you want, ventilation, PPE, safe procedure ex. What happens if moisture like a sweat bead lands in your pot ? or water dropping your castings and how that affects hardness.

Tire shops are losing popularity fast because A) modern wheel weights aren’t lead but zinc, better know the difference when it comes to casting or things will go south fast B) they get money for lead at the recyclers or they charge you recycle rate to take them.

I posted you some reloading data for you, went out of my way to do it....your excuses are running out my friend

oli700 said:
I posted you some reloading data for you, went out of my way to do it....your excuses are running out my friend

I missed that at the bottom of your post! My Apologies! Bookmarked ;)
You were saying about Auto Mechanics recycling out their Lead and getting paid, I could go around and take the lead off the guys around me because they were being charged to have it taken from their garage.. :eek: Maybe it is an Area thing or small business thing but I was being thanked lol I do have some Lead Smelted Bars from an old guy who passed away, my mother knew him well. No clue how hard or soft it is but he did Target Loads with it for skeet if that helps :/

My Grandfather has a Slug mold, furnace and all the goodies hidden away... I will give him a call tonight and see what he is doing with it :D

would be cool if you could get you grandpas stuff

Funny how they charge to take away HazMat and sell it after they collect it.....literally getting them coming and going

I would be so excited to have my paps reloading stuff. He may even just have me travel to Clearfield, PA and he could show me the ropes and let me use it. I'd have to make sure I had everything because that is a far drive, about 2 hours, to get there and not be able to do it!

If you can get just one 5-gallon pickle bucket of lead WWs it'll smelt down to about 150-lbs of bullet lead which is over a million grains of lead, or 8,468 9mm 124-gr bullets! That's 85 100-ct boxes @ 14.00 each or $1200 if you bought them commercially.

lol I am glad you did the math :) hahaha
Couldn't catch my pap at home today but left him 2 voicemails to call me back :D

nitesite said:
If you can get just one 5-gallon pickle bucket of lead WWs it'll smelt down to about 150-lbs of bullet lead which is over a million grains of lead, or 8,468 9mm 124-gr bullets! That's 85 100-ct boxes @ 14.00 each or $1200 if you bought them commercially.

If you can lift a 5 gallon bucket of wheel weights you don't need a gun! You should be able to throw a rock hard enough to kill a deer at 100 yards! :D

Seriously! They're heavy. I think the newer weights for the mag wheels are zinc. The old style for the steel wheels are probably still lead. HEY! Check Big Truck tire shops. They often have multiple 4 to 6 oz weights hammered onto their rims.

Back