• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Reloading Rookie

Tooter

Copper BB
I've been wanting to get into reloading for a while now. The current situation in our country has solidified that desire. I haven't been able to start yet b/c I'm currently deployed, but I will be back in the States pretty soon. I'm trying to find a good starter kit. The RCBS Rock Chucker looks great. I've also seen a couple of kits from Lee. I'm sold on a single stage press b/c I am a firm believer in learning the basics first. I've seen good and bad reviews for Lee equipment and nothing but good ones for RCBS. I'm trying to budget myself so I'm leaning towards the Lee. I would appreciate any advice on getting in to reloading. My final questions: Lee or RCBS? If Lee, which kit would you go with? Thanks in advance for the help.

Welcome to the site
I ended up with a Lyman and an RCBS and they are great. I would own a Lee in a hot second, they have the best prices , good availability and some of the best starter kits. I use a couple of the Lee carbide dies and they work great, I actually have grown to like them better than the RCBS dies

oli700 said:
Welcome to the site
I ended up with a Lyman and an RCBS and they are great. I would own a Lee in a hot second, they have the best prices , good availability and some of the best starter kits. I use a couple of the Lee carbide dies and they work great, I actually have grown to like them better than the RCBS dies

Thanks for the help!

Anytime, Don’t hesitate, the time is now. Start acquiring bits and pieces and soon you will be there

Here is a quote from a wise man

nitesite said:
That Anniversary Kit works just fine or Lee would not have been selling that kit for all these years.

The powder measure is pretty basic, and the scale although rudimentary is actually quite accurate for its design. Honestly, that set-up has components that you will still be using even if you later move up to a more expensive setup. The Anniversary kit has a pretty crappy priming method and I don't care at all for it.

GET THIS LEE KIT instead. It's only $117 at Midsouth and is far and away a better deal.

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/i ... 0000690030

The hand priming tool and its "all calibers" shell holder set is worth about $40 by itself and it will let you prime any of your cases anywhere, even in front of the TV, with better results than a stupid tube-feed "on the press" design.

oli700 said:
Here is a quote from a wise man

nitesite said:
That Anniversary Kit works just fine or Lee would not have been selling that kit for all these years.

The powder measure is pretty basic, and the scale although rudimentary is actually quite accurate for its design. Honestly, that set-up has components that you will still be using even if you later move up to a more expensive setup. The Anniversary kit has a pretty crappy priming method and I don't care at all for it.

GET THIS LEE KIT instead. It's only $117 at Midsouth and is far and away a better deal.

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/i ... 0000690030

The hand priming tool and its "all calibers" shell holder set is worth about $40 by itself and it will let you prime any of your cases anywhere, even in front of the TV, with better results than a stupid tube-feed "on the press" design.

Thanks again. I'll definitely take your advice. My wife will be happy with the cheaper decision too! :lol:

FS Reloading is a super supplier for all things Lee. Great folks, good prices and they sit VERY close to the Lee factory: https://fsreloading.com/

For convenience I buy an additional Lee turret for each caliber setup - it's a time saver and only about a $10 expense per caliber.

man I just looked at that site, its about cleaned out. I was 23 in the 94 ban and I remember primer being hard to find but I dont remember presses and such being off the shelves around here....no intenet for me then.....depressing.

Back