• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Remembrance Day (Can.) / Veterans Day (US)

cmcdonald

Boating Accident Victim
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Supporter
"Philanthropist"
Taken from Sun News - DANIEL PROUSSALIDIS | QMI AGENCY

OTTAWA - A handful of university students have hopped aboard the left-wing Rideau Institute's "white poppy" campaign for Remembrance Day, promoting their pacifist ideology by piggybacking on the Royal Canadian Legion's red poppy campaign.

"Young people don't want to celebrate war," Celyn Dufay of the University of Ottawa said. "We want to work for peace."

With the imposing National War Memorial in the background, Dufay unveiled a pin Monday he and a gaggle of activists will distribute through the week.

The pin puts the Rideau Institute's "I Remember for Peace" slogan on a white poppy - a controversial symbol that has earned the ire of the Royal Canadian Legion in the past.

The legion's Bill Maxwell, secretary of the poppy remembrance committee, said Dufay and the Rideau

Institute have misunderstood Remembrance Day symbols.

"The red poppy is a symbol of sacrifice," Maxwell said. "It's not a glorification of war."

Maxwell also said Canadians overwhelmingly support the red poppy, with 18 million of them being worn this year.

Dufay hopes to distribute about 2,500 white poppy pins, including at the national Remembrance Day ceremony next week.

Maxwell said Dufay's move won't go over well with Canadian veterans.

"I don't think they'd be very pleased," he said. "I think they may even take it personally. I'm sure they would."

Even if the pin offends veterans, Dufay said he'll continue to distribute it.

"We can't account for other people's feelings, however, no one has a monopoly over Remembrance Day," he said

This I find so terribly disturbing, disgusting and downright ignorant. How in our age of information and education can people be so absolutely misguided and empty headed?

What an insult to all of our vets who have served, fought and yes died that these "holier than thou" asses might even have the opportunity to even think of criticizing or down grading the sacrifices made on their behalf.

Makes me sick...left-wing, liberal wackos........

cmcdonald said:
Taken from Sun News - DANIEL PROUSSALIDIS | QMI AGENCY

OTTAWA - A handful of university students have hopped aboard the left-wing Rideau Institute's "white poppy" campaign for Remembrance Day, promoting their pacifist ideology by piggybacking on the Royal Canadian Legion's red poppy campaign.

"Young people don't want to celebrate war," Celyn Dufay of the University of Ottawa said. "We want to work for peace."

With the imposing National War Memorial in the background, Dufay unveiled a pin Monday he and a gaggle of activists will distribute through the week.

The pin puts the Rideau Institute's "I Remember for Peace" slogan on a white poppy - a controversial symbol that has earned the ire of the Royal Canadian Legion in the past.

The legion's Bill Maxwell, secretary of the poppy remembrance committee, said Dufay and the Rideau

Institute have misunderstood Remembrance Day symbols.

"The red poppy is a symbol of sacrifice," Maxwell said. "It's not a glorification of war."

Maxwell also said Canadians overwhelmingly support the red poppy, with 18 million of them being worn this year.

Dufay hopes to distribute about 2,500 white poppy pins, including at the national Remembrance Day ceremony next week.

Maxwell said Dufay's move won't go over well with Canadian veterans.

"I don't think they'd be very pleased," he said. "I think they may even take it personally. I'm sure they would."

Even if the pin offends veterans, Dufay said he'll continue to distribute it.

"We can't account for other people's feelings, however, no one has a monopoly over Remembrance Day," he said

This I find so terribly disturbing, disgusting and downright ignorant. How in our age of information and education can people be so absolutely misguided and empty headed?

What an insult to all of our vets who have served, fought and yes died that these "holier than thou" asses might even have the opportunity to even think of criticizing or down grading the sacrifices made on their behalf.

Makes me sick...left-wing, liberal wackos........

So true my northern cousin. :x

The trouble is they don't understand (and never will ) that those who really work for peace, are those who are prepared and willing to go to war when the need arises.

These folks are not willing to work for peace - they want it handed to them on a silver platter.

"If you desire peace, prepare for War" it does not mean I think war is glorious or strive towards war, I only know that if the need arises I will fight. I will fight so that others who cannot fight for themselves will not have to.
Happy Veterans /Remembrance Day Rest in Peace my brothers and sisters in arms your sacrifice is not forgotten.

MrDig said:
"If you desire peace, prepare for War" it does not mean I think war is glorious or strive towards war, I only know that if the need arises I will fight. I will fight so that others who cannot fight for themselves will not have to.
Happy Veterans /Remembrance Day Rest in Peace my brothers and sisters in arms your sacrifice is not forgotten.

Lot's of quotes about this thru the ages. One of my favorites is attributed to George Orwell:

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

Aristotle: "We make war that we may live in peace."

But for those such as Dufay, none of them impinge on their self righteousness.

You know, I imagine myself about 15 years older, with my daughters getting ready to head off to college... who knows what will be "in" then, what music they'll be listening to...what TV shows they'll be hooked on (if they ever get TV :twisted: )...

But I can tell you now that they will understand the importance of remembering the men and women who died so they can enjoy those freedoms... there won't be any need for correcting at that point, it will be instilled in them for next 15 years ;)

Was funny I recently had a bunch of family in town. My favorite niece, 17 now, and I went to the woods to walk the wolves.

I grabbed the G29 and she looked at me like why do we need that.

I looked at her and said,” You never know what’s out there”…..she kind of rolled her eyes.

“We have over 200 pounds of wolf dog with us “ she said

I said “that’s good but I want to protect them too, and they look to me for that”
She rolled her eyes

I said “where is your dad right now?”

She said “in the Red Sea somewhere”

Me, “Fighting for freedom right? “

“Yep!” she said proudly

“This is one of those freedoms” I said ……she nodded with approval

Once we got a half hour into nowhere on foot we saw the first set of bear tracks……she was glad for the gun.
On the way back we hit a trail that is walked by some locals from time to time and we seen the next set of tracks, bare foot human tracks and they went for a while, both directions in the mud……I was glad for the gun at that point.

Good morning from the lands down under.
While we do acknowledge the 11/11 and some will chose to wear the poppy then, Australia and New Zealand chose to use April 25 as our national day of remembrance, ANZAC DAY. Still to this day, 99 years after that morning, both countries come to an almost complete stop and people in every city, town, hamlet and many rural locations, come together to remember. Over my time, which covers well over half of that time, I can always remember the strong turnout of young people who have come, even as the dawn breaks, to stand beside those who served, not to glorify war, but to acknowledge their service and sacrifice as well as to remember those of their family who might have been involved and who can no longer stand there. For many families this is because one or more of their loved ones rest in some corner of a field far away. The hope is always for peace but the understanding is the need for vigilance. Yes there have been those who might have expressed opinions about the nature of some conflicts from time to time but even they stop to remember. I can only hope that we might all and those who come after us might always be able to live in a land where they have the freedom to express their opinions while still respecting others.

In Flanders Fields

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.

By Lt. Col. John McCrae - Canadian Expeditionary Force - fought in WWI - the battle of Ypres in Belgium. Have heard this poem every year since well...ever since I can remember.

To all of our allies near and abroad, we all owe a debt of thanks and of never forgetting their sacrifice for our freedom.

Let us not forget the other veterans. The spouses, children, parents and other family. They are as much veterans as those who wore the uniform.

Back