• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Removal of Recoil Pad Screws

I want to add a 3/4" wood spacer ahead of the recoil pad to try & lower my cheek on the comb, but wow! are the recoil pad screws ever in there! Darn! Anyone have an issue getting them out? I'd hate to break 1 off. I'd like to add the spacer to hopefully lower my line of sight down the bbl, but now I'm thinking I may instead add a higher ventilated rib to accomplish the same goal. I've yet to shoot the gun, but as is I'm guessing it's gonna shoot high.

Get in there with a medium Philips head screwdriver and give it hell. Gotta really push on those old screws to break them free.

I did that & dang they're really in there. I mean to the point where I'm seriously afraid of breaking them. I don't want to cause myself any addtl problems, so I just may add a higher rib instead. It'll be a bunch more $, but maybe the smart move in the end. ..really not sure if I need anything at all as I have yet to shoot the gun to see where the pattern hits.

You could try tapping on the screwdriver with a small hammer, as you twist it loose. Keep good amount of pressure on the screwdriver also....
You would also have better luck if it was secure in a padded vice....

Not sure what you plan on shooting with the gun.
Remember with a higher rib, any cant of the gun may equal a missed target. Especially if you are shooting flying targets.

Stock screws come out! Metal screws in plastic or wood. The metal will come out.
Righty Tighty....Lefty Loosey ;)

like most tools, use the proper tools. there are tips that have serrations that prevent them from slipping out. do not use chinese generic bits for tight screws. they will bugger up the screw and then yer in big trouble.

Any solution I have (such as heat and wax/soap) to removing a screw or broken screw from wood will require buttpad removal. So either the screw comes out with enough force or breaks off with enough force. The stub CAN be cut out and a bung glued in place. (see attached)

hollowbit.jpeg

Appreciate the feedback. I'm a bit of a woodworker & have the hollow bit 4 drilling out broken screws, along with a good size drill press should it come 2 that. So, if the dang screw brks I oughta b able 2 bail myself out. It just shocked the heck outta me as 2 how snug they were put in. Mossberg didn't want them coming lose! lol

Built a frame & cut a bunch of 4 1/2' sq sheets the other day I'm gonna use 2 patternize & zero the 20. Rt now win I shoulder the sg the front bead ends up on top of the middle bead so I figure the gun'll shoot high. I'll test it 4 zero @ 16 yds & if it's not much I'll leave it alone. A little high on upland birds shouldn't hurt. If it's higher than I'd like I'll prbly go 4 those screws & c if a 3/4" spacer ahead of the buttpad will lower my cheek enough 2 lower the pattern. Everybody stay posted 4 the results of my 1st shoot. I'll post sum pics of my patterns.

That sounds good. Keep us informed of the progress...

And on a side note..Try to avoid a lot of “text speak”, The purpose of language is to be understood, not to sound cool. Your not saving a whole lot of time by eliminating a letter or two here and there.
Thanks.

..gave up on trying to sound cool long ago. I leave that up to folks in my age bracket like Mrs Bill Gates. If you wanna good laugh just listen to her sometime. Now there's a woman who wants to come across like she's just another so not un-ccooooolll, hip, in-tune, everyday, forever young American girl. Only a few billion is all that separates her from the rest of the pack.
But, OK with me. My bad. Ah, oh I'd better look out 'less I be accused of trying to sound too cool again.
Giving & receiving information is why I'm here so in an effort to not sound too cool complete words it will be.

Appreciate the feedback. I'm a bit of a woodworker & have the hollow bit 4 drilling out broken screws, along with a good size drill press should it come 2 that. So, if the dang screw brks I oughta b able 2 bail myself out. It just shocked the heck outta me as 2 how snug they were put in. Mossberg didn't want them coming lose! lol

Built a frame & cut a bunch of 4 1/2' sq sheets the other day I'm gonna use 2 patternize & zero the 20. Rt now win I shoulder the sg the front bead ends up on top of the middle bead so I figure the gun'll shoot high. I'll test it 4 zero @ 16 yds & if it's not much I'll leave it alone. A little high on upland birds shouldn't hurt. If it's higher than I'd like I'll prbly go 4 those screws & c if a 3/4" spacer ahead of the buttpad will lower my cheek enough 2 lower the pattern. Everybody stay posted 4 the results of my 1st shoot. I'll post sum pics of my patterns.

The front bead is supposed to end up on top of the middle bead. They should stack like a figure 8. That is proper sight alignment on a shotgun.

Well, if that's what it's supposed to look like--a figure 8--my patterns oughta be spot on 'cause that's exactly what it looks like. I'll know for sure when I actually shoot these 4 1/2' sq sheets I cut. I also have the 12 Classic to do the same treatment to, but on that one the front bead is blocked from view by the center bead. So, maybe that one will shoot low. We'll see. Just gotta find a Saturday to make it out somewhere to test these two sg's.

Oh, yeah. My original Mossberg 500 was a full-choke 16 ga with a jeweled bolt but no rib I bought in maybe 1968. ..sold it a couple of yrs ago. Last Sept I decided to pick something up for HD, bird hunting & shooting clays. ..couldn't decide between the 20 or the 12 in the 500, so, being that they're not terribly expensive, bought 1 of each. ..shouldn't have done it but always liked having a choice. ..any excuse'll do. lol

Back