• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Removing Blue

Hello Sonny. Welcome to the forum from NY.
I've never tried it but I heard soaking it in vinegar works. Just remember you are working with an aluminum receiver.

edit: Looks like Old mossy beat me to the punch again and we were typing the same time :lol:

Since this is in the Maverick 88 forum, I am going to assume that's what you're asking about, and if that is the case, it's not bluing on the receiver.

It's Anodizing and unless you plan to re-anodize or paint it with something, bluing doesn't work on aluminum. Just trying to save you some grief if what you had in mind was to sand it and reblue it.

But the best method I have found for removing bluing is elbow grease and 400 grit to get the bulk of the bluing off and then followed by 600 grit sand paper just to smooth out all the tiny scratches so it looks really good when you redo it.

And all sanding should be done all in the same direction so it will be smooth as silk afterwards.

Same rules as sanding wood. Always sand with the grain (or on the case of metal; in the same direction).

Back