• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Replacement recoil pad

FJT02

.22LR
I am looking for a new recoil pad for my brand new Mossberg 500. I shot about 50 rounds of target load yesterday to break her in and my shoulder is slightly bruised. I am a fairly big guy and I could take the kick, but I would much rather just enjoy the shooting with a little less kick. Also, I did have shoulder surgery 6 months ago and a better pad would definitely help!

I spent some time reading through the forum and I am leaning towards the Limbsaver brand. I'm not sure which type to go with. I like the look of the screw on type but is the slip on type better? Also, If you use the slip on type, do you first remove the factory pad? Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks. Frank.

I've got both types of Limbsaver on my shotguns and for some reason the slip-on seems like it's a lot softer. I didn't remove the stock pad under the slip-on, but it all depends on your needs. The slip-on will add about an inch to your L.O.P.

I just won an ebay auction on a bolt on style Limbsaver. Did pretty good: $11.37 and free shipping. I'll let you know how it works out. Take care. Tom Worthington

Got to give the limbsaver a try, today. My shoulder loved it. Birdshot, buckshot, and slugs. It appears that the synthetic stock on a Maverick (which is what my 12 gauge is) uses the same stock as the base 500, because the pad screwed right on. Oddly enough, it's actually thinner than the original equipment pad. But it is one heck of a lot softer.

The packaging came with a tiny bottle of this stuff called Easy-Glide. Apparently, coating the top and sides of the new pad with this stuff lowers the chance of it snagging in your clothing when your bring it up to your shoulder. I don't know though, because the bottle that came with mine was all dried up. :lol: I checked on getting the Easy Glide separately. JEEZ, it is expensive. I believe I'll pass.

I'd get a limbsaver again, especially for the price. Take care. Tom Worthington.

Tom,
I ordered 2 bottles of that stuff and they were both DRIED UP! :eek:
Don't waste your money.
I have one of the slip on pads, though it gets little use nowadays. Except on an old Stevens SxS that have.
With a proper mount a lightweight 12ga should never leave a bruise, maybe a little fatigue after many rounds.

Back