• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Replacement Stock for 590

cliff

.22LR
I am adding a recoil pad to my 590 but I also would like to shorten the LOP slightly. The ATI Akita seems to meet my needs. I have seen Youtubes of the standard ATI stock resulting in too much rear movement of the shotgun, plus I don't care for the look of that stock. The Akita looks much more like a factory stock with the cheekpad and adjustable LOP. Has anyone used this? I would like to hear your comments.

What does the term "overmolded" mean?

I have read the reviews of the Hogue, but does it include some sort of recoil reduction? I would like my wife to shoot this but I know it's going to be uncomfortable. Trying to make her like it.

From Hogue:

OverMolded Stocks are constructed by molding a super strong, rigid fiberglass reinforced skeleton or "insert" that precisely fits the guns' action. This rigid skeleton is then OverMolded with a durable but soft synthetic elastomer (rubber). During the heat and extreme pressure of injection molding the elastomer adheres chemically as well as mechanically to the skeleton, resulting in a permanent bond between the rubber and the insert. The super strong skeleton gives the stocks their strength, and the precise molded dimensions provide a perfect drop-in fit of your rifle or shotgun. The state of the art elastomer material used on Hogue stocks won't harden with age and is virtually impervious to all oils and solvents found around firearms, providing years of dependable service.

My Hogue stock does not have any recoil reduction system, but the shorter length of pull allows a smaller shooter to tuck the weapon into the shoulder a lot tighter and maintain better control over the weapon. Having to reach out for the forearm using the factory LOP causes a really awkward hold on the weapon and an uncomfortable stance. I have the Hogue 12" LOP with a Limbsaver pad on my 590a1 and the Blackhawk SpecOps recoil reducing stock on my 590. They both do an outstanding job at reducing felt recoil, but I have to give the edge to the Hogue + Limbsaver set-up. Most recoil reduction systems are configured as a pistol grip set-up which can severely limit access to your weapon's safety button and action release. A good recoil pad on a standard stock will work wonders. Limbsaver advertises an up to 70% reduction in recoil and after using them for the last several years I certainly believe it...

I have to agree with LES here. As someone who was looking at AR style stocks about a month ago, I'd recommend one of two things: buy a shorter stock or cut down the stock you have. I did the latter to my 590 (my thinking was that if it didn't work out, I didn't spend any money on a shorter stock and could then buy an AR stock) with the intention of buying a limbsaver pad to replace the factory one. I still haven't bought the limbsaver and probably won't for a while (I have other accessories to buy) because being able to "square up" behind the shotgun better made a world of difference.

One other tip I would give is this: don't shoot a shotgun like you shoot a .22. Lean into it so your body will absorb more of the recoil and you won't feel it as much as if you were standing straight up. Check out this article to see what I'm talking about:

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot56_2.htm
http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot56_3.htm

The whole article is about patterning low recoil buckshot, but at the end of the first page I linked and at the beginning of the second linked page, he shows pictures of a ".22 stance" and a "shotgun stance". When I started leaning into the gun, I was able to shoot anything from target loads to low recoil buckshot to 1350 fps Fiocchi rounds with very little felt recoil. The shorter LOP helped me get the stance right, but the stance allows my body to absorb and distribute the recoil better.

Also, if you already knew all of that, you can just go ahead and ignore me :).

I really enjoy shooting my Mossberg 500's and 590s with the AKITA stock. It does a great job reducing recoil and being fully adjustable makes it fit just about anyone using it. If you look in the ATI subsection of the site you will see some detail reviews.

ATI Akita Adjustable Stock For Mossberg 500

p525712264-4.jpg

p449106749-4.jpg

p66998456-4.jpg

p156529310-4.jpg

p214198327-4.jpg

p397788575-4.jpg

p382567605-4.jpg

p246319899-4.jpg

p329378121-4.jpg

p169965564-4.jpg

p42367045-4.jpg

First Impression: ATI products are packaged as if Apple was now selling firearms products! The attention to detail in the packaging is carried right through to the products. I will let the pictures speak for themselves. Overall I am very impressed with the quality of this stock.

Installation:
ATI provides very clear instructions with lots of pictures to help guide you through the install. For some it can be a bit intimidating if its your first time modifying a shotgun but the instructions make it much easier to accomplish. All in all it was a very simple installation that required nothing more than some basic tools.

Use: I was a bit hesitant at first to use this stock over the various other options I have but once I mounted it to my Mossberg 500 I realized what I had been missing. Reason being is that you can really adjust the stock to fit you correctly with the cheek riser, adjustable length of pull and drop spacer. The stock fits me better than any of the other available options on the market but keep in mind that this is an extremely subjective statement that does not apply to all. I would not choose this over say a hogue stock if I wanted a KISS stock due to the fact that the more features you add the more areas it can break. I don’t foresee this stock not holding up to daily abuse but you never know (I will update this post after I have a few months of use with it mounted on my Mossberg 500). I think this is a perfect option for hunters and clay shooters though. In addition to it fitting great it also does a great job with reducing felt recoil. I shot around 50 slugs in an afternoon with this setup and although my shoulder was a bit sore the next day but its nothing compared to when I have shot slugs with some of the other stocks I have tried. I used this stock with my Mossberg 500 18.5″ and centurion 2 3/4 slugs 1400fps to take down a young buck form 40 yards away as pictured in the gallery.

Where are you guys getting your Hogue stocks? Do the 500's fit the 590?
I like the idea of that cheek rest on the ATI.

I wish I could get my hands on these before buying online :/

After all the comments and suggestions in this thread I went with the ATI Akita and it really feels good. Although traditional LOP measuring methods put me at 13.5", the shorter positions on the Akita actually seem to fit better. I haven't shot yet but I do like the way it feels. Thanks for all the input. The recoil pad on the Akita is noticeably softer than stock, so that was a key feature too.

Very nice!

Lookin forward to your review after you've had a chance to take her for a spin.

...oh and pics, don't forget the pics... :D

For the Hogue Stocks, I haven't had luck, ever, with Optics Planet. I went with Amazon (who Ironically gets them from Optics Planet) and got it a heck of a lot quicker than if I would have ordered straight from Optics Planet :p

Back