• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Replacing fixed choke barrel on older Mossberg 500

lobsterchurch

Copper BB
I have a older gun with fixed modified choke barrel. The gun was made in about 1983. I was wondering if it's possible to replace the barrel with an accuchoke barrel so I can have more choke variety and use steel shot safely.

Yes you can as long as they are both the same gauge from a 500 or Mav88 and they both use the same length mag tube.

Not sure what length of barrel you're looking for but these barrels use screw in chokes. I have one of these that I'm testing and so for have no issues. Just need to match with the magazine tube.

Regards

Thanks Ernst. Yeah, I was definitely hoping to get the accu-choke barrel that has the interchangeable chokes and also is made to handle steel shot.

Thanks Ernst. Yeah, I was definitely hoping to get the accu-choke barrel that has the interchangeable chokes and also is made to handle steel shot.
These barrels can certainly handle steel shot. What you need to be certain of is the chokes. Carlson makes different models of chokes. Some will handle steel shot some not so like any choke brand you have choices and must be matched to intended use.

I have no issues with quality or fit of the barrel. I'm doing testing with it but that's been suspended by the weather.

Regards

I saw on the Mossberg website they have the Mossberg 500 12 ga 28" barrel with the accu-choke and comes with a set of three choke tubes, improved, modified and full which is just what I'd like, but I see they're out of stock.

I saw on the Mossberg website they have the Mossberg 500 12 ga 28" barrel with the accu-choke and comes with a set of three choke tubes, improved, modified and full which is just what I'd like, but I see they're out of stock.
I got a similar setup on GB about 10 years ago with a ported barrel. Was a "take-off" or something because it and the chokes are like-new. Was less than $100 delivered but I suspect those days are long gone. Might be cheaper to buy another gun with longer barrel...:D

Nice, yeah, It would be great to find a deal like that. A new barrel and chokes are over half the price of a new gun. My wife says get a new gun, but I'm cheap, lol.

Listen to your wife and get the new barrel too. I did the same thing years ago when I bought a used 12 gauge 500 from a pawn shop for me because my son wanted a 12 gauge and I had been shooting a 20 gauge for years. It was a plain barrel, 28", fixed modified choke. I bought a 24" vent rib barrel set that came with 3 accu-choke tubes. Mossberg's barrel sets are reasonably priced.

Back