• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

replacing safety lever on 590A1

Newbie question again....bought a Brownells oversize safety for my new 590A1. Ok I give none of the screwdrivers I have fit whatever that screw head is on the factory safety lever :? What am I missing
thanks
officer dave

Hey Dave, the screw will back out. You just have to brace the receiver good and lean on a regular flat blade screwdriver that fits the best.

While I havent done it, quite a few folks on here have, including Oli. I think we have a few threads on here about changing the safety, so you may be able to try the search and find some pics and advice.

There is a ball in there you dont wanna loose, and I know there are some tips about keeping it in there.

It's also best to use a gunsmith screw driver. The blade is hollow ground instead of V shaped. This helps prevent the screw driver blade from slipping out and buggering up the screw slot when you torque it.

hollow-ground-bits-graphic.png

There are two ways to do it.
The simplest is to put the shotgun in a padded vise, and use a good gunsmith driver with a sharp edge and simply bear down while you back the screw out. This doesn't always work.
The next way is to put the shotgun in a vise, mask the receiver with heavy tape, and cut a slot in the existing screw head with a cutoff wheel on a Dremel. You can then back the screw out normally. If you do this make sure you have a replacement screw for the safety as it will destroy the one that is in there. If you bought the kit from Brownell's, it will have one.
Also, make sure you have the safety in the "ON" position to the rear with the bolt to the rear as well. This will keep the mechanism inside the reciever from falling out. Once you have the safety slider off, you can use a small amount of grease in the detent on the receiver to keep the ball from falling out.
Even with the metal safety sliders, it is a good idea to use the flat bearing plates under the safety slider. It will help minimize wear on the slider.
You may want to use some LocTite on the safety screw as well to make sure it doesn't back out. If you don't, just check it occassionally to make sure it stays tight.

I've done quite a few of them, they are not hard or complicated to do, m24shooter nailed it down.

Brownells sends an instruction guide with the new safety button, and their tec staff could walk you through it in a pinch.

If you are going to have a problem it will be with backing the screw out. I have a a few that were tight and yet never had to resort to the dremmel to cut a slot. Good luck with it!

Back