• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Rifled choke for 930 'One Gun'

I have a 930 'turkey' 24" fiberoptic RS I am making this gun in one gun that can do it all..A light for home defence,rified choke to get the best out of whatever slugs I have, a Nordic +5 or +6 mag tube Limbsaver for sure too.I know its not 'ideal' for everything a shotgun can do but i'm hoping for a little imput to make what I feel could be a great one for all it has to perform ...thank you Gentlemen for your thoughts on improving the base Iv'e started with I have to find a rifle choke soon!

Not sure if Trulock (one of our sponsors) has rifled chokes but I know Carlsons does. Look for the Mossberg 500 models (same choke tubes are used in the 930). I have a couple Carlsons and they appear very well made. Have not shot a rifled choke yet so I can't say how well they perform.

BTW, welcome to MO.

I tried the carlsons extended rifled choke in my 500c.

I found mildly improved results with std rifled slugs but nothing that overwhelming or absolutely conclusively proved to me that it was worth it. I never did find a sabot round that I was satisfied with. I can tell you that SST's will keyhole at 50 yards. These were not recommended for choke tubes by Hornady but i had a few given to me so I tried them, they are a high velocity slugs and and did not take well to the small amount of rifling provided by the choke.

I also used the Remington rifled choke tube in my 870 with similar results.

To be honest, I did not sample a very wide variety of slugs so my testing is far from conclusive.

I still use it when hunting and using rifled slugs, just because it doesn't hurt. At some point I hope to do some more testing on a wider variety of lower velocity sabots.

have you shoot any buckshot thru the rifled choke?? Birdshot ? I.m hoping to find a RC that will be at home on the gun for everything..I've heard some of the longer RCs act/perform better The guns role will be mainly HD,go to if I can only carry one,long gun..100 yards danger level with ANY slug I put in it is what i am trying for..

MikeD said:
I tried the carlsons extended rifled choke in my 500c.

I found mildly improved results with std rifled slugs but nothing that overwhelming or absolutely conclusively proved to me that it was worth it. I never did find a sabot round that I was satisfied with. I can tell you that SST's will keyhole at 50 yards. These were not recommended for choke tubes by Hornady but i had a few given to me so I tried them, they are a high velocity slugs and and did not take well to the small amount of rifling provided by the choke.

I also used the Remington rifled choke tube in my 870 with similar results.

To be honest, I did not sample a very wide variety of slugs so my testing is far from conclusive.

I still use it when hunting and using rifled slugs, just because it doesn't hurt. At some point I hope to do some more testing on a wider variety of lower velocity sabots.

Shooting rifled slugs thru a rifles choke? Didn't think that was recommended. Rifled chokes are not going to perform as well as a fully rifled barrel but then it is only a small amount of rifling compared to a 22" or longer barrel.

OhioArcher said:
Shooting rifled slugs thru a rifles choke? Didn't think that was recommended. Rifled chokes are not going to perform as well as a fully rifled barrel but then it is only a small amount of rifling compared to a 22" or longer barrel.

It does not hurt anything the groves are there to allow the slug to pass through various chokes without deforming too much. The only down side to shooting them through a rifled choke or a fully rifled barrel is the leading that will occur.

The rifled tubes are "supposed" to work with some lower velocity sabot rounds. I few indicate that on the box. I'll have to do some more testing this summer as my impromtu testing of the various slugs that fall into my hands have not provided very positive results. I know it was not going to work as well as a dedicated slug barrel but at the time it was a matter of price point so I went with the cheaper option. I agree that a fully rifled barrel would be the better option as it should provide acceptable results with a much broader range of ammo.

I have been looking to pick up a fully rifled barrel but cannot decide which gun to buy it for. (870, 930, 500c, 835,....) :D

Thank you for all your input everyone. I have not been on the forum for quite awhile and just 'found' this thread..I still have the gun and am using a IM choke for everything now.I have the extra full turkey choke but have never used it.I'll probably go with a 5" Carlsons when I can find one used or one sale.In the last few weeks I've learned more about slugs and there capibilites from reading this forum than I ever belived possible!

MikeD said:
OhioArcher said:

It does not hurt anything the groves are there to allow the slug to pass through various chokes without deforming too much. The only down side to shooting them through a rifled choke or a fully rifled barrel is the leading that will occur.

The rifled tubes are "supposed" to work with some lower velocity sabot rounds. I few indicate that on the box. I'll have to do some more testing this summer as my impromtu testing of the various slugs that fall into my hands have not provided very positive results. I know it was not going to work as well as a dedicated slug barrel but at the time it was a matter of price point so I went with the cheaper option. I agree that a fully rifled barrel would be the better option as it should provide acceptable results with a much broader range of ammo.

I have been looking to pick up a fully rifled barrel but cannot decide which gun to buy it for. (870, 930, 500c, 835,....) :D

Decisions, decisions, huh?

I got my Choate Mark 5 PG ON the gun now...I am going to try and store 3 different chokes in the stock with the rifled choke in the pistol grip to keep them always with the gun.

oh.... n better stuff a rag in that stock around those chokes, nothing like a rattling nose to give you away on your tactical shotgun...

Back