• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Rossi's Complete AR... Mod.

Your AR-15 is coming out great Brad! I hope you get out to shoot it soon.

Thank you and thank you! I hope so too Dan!

Sneaky! You know, I mentioned doin a lot a diggin before deciding to go with the OA... The OA I feel is comparable with any rifle out there. I'm sure there are other makes and models with more features, like cold forged hammered and chrome lined barrels with 1:7 twist to them M4 profile and what not. The OA is however completely mil-spec in design and for me, this being my first, I have no clue if I even need all the extras.

Just as you touched on Sneaky, for the price of the OA you can still afford to add the personal touches, like sights, red dot, handgurds, grips, and possibly even a stock. I have no more in this rifle (and actually less) than one would pay for a higher end box stock rifle and I have a couple things I'll be selling.

Heres another big thing. If you like Mossberg Owners, You'd also really like the OA forum; www.oa2.org The Olympic Arms forum is to the AR what Mossberg Owners is to shotguns. The people are genuine with out being pretentious. There are also a few folks on there that are Olympic Arms staff, the support system is great and I have not lacked in advice and help whenever I asked!

The AR is like anything else, there is a lot of hype associated with many brands. There are some pros that go with that, like higher resell value because of the name... but does that mean you get any less with an OA? Not in my very limited knowledge and opinion. Everything I have read and heard from folks indicates that the OA is a fine shooting and durable rifle that is every bit as accurate as ones ability to be so! ;)

There is a local OA dealer in my area. I may go give him a visit today and see what he has on hand to see if I can convince myself I don't need to spend the extra cash (not that I'm having any luck finding a good deal on a 6920 anyways).

Sn3aKyGuY said:
There is a local OA dealer in my area. I may go give him a visit today and see what he has on hand to see if I can convince myself I don't need to spend the extra cash (not that I'm having any luck finding a good deal on a 6920 anyways).

Zanders had 6920's for about $1000 recently. And the newer version with the new collapsible buttstock that look like a skeletonized magpul CTR/MOE were not much more $$ than that.

Granted that Zanders is a distributor and don't sell to the open public, but your FFL can order from them on your behalf and pass the savings on to you.

http://www.gzanders.com/

Not trying to talk you out of the OA, but if you're set on the Colt, then by all means, get the Colt.

Thanks for the link John. The problem I run into is every time I find a good deal, they're out of stock. Zanders is the same case at this moment. I have to wait another 4-5 weeks anyways to make my final decision, so if someone gets one in at a good price I'll probably go with the Colt .... but if at that time I have cash in hand and something local to take home that day + some new toys I may go that route. I'll just have to see how it plays out.

I think the biggest thing with the Colt is ... well it's the standard. May not be "the best" or "the worst", but it's what everything else was based off. I do plan on taking some firearms classes down the road, but in the mean time I just want something that will get me introduced to the AR-15. I've got my list of reloading equipment built and plan on picking that stuff up sometime this year, so the "cheaper" OA with the 1:9 does appeal to me in that sense. I don't plan on reloading anything heavy for a while due to cost to fun ratio of the heavier bullets.

You're welcome sneak. Just trying to help.

I recently sold a pretty rare item so I could fund some reloading gear too. I was expecting the money order yesterday, but it didn't show up in todays' mail either. [rolleyes]

I have 4 calibers I'm wanting to load, but I am going to start out with just 9mm for now and then get into .223 and 6.8 SPCII and 40 S&W later on. Or at least that's the plan.

That's my plan too ... start with 9mm and then go to .223 ... but enough hijacking Rossi's thread I guess. :lol:

Any DuraCoat plans in this rifles future, Rossi?

John A. said:
Not trying to talk you out of the OA, but if you're set on the Colt, then by all means, get the Colt.

I totally agree with this! I have a friend at work who recently got the Colt sport model I think and hes really happy with it. It too has the 1:7 barrel. Hes using his in large part for coyote and is taking shots in excess of 350 yards with some heavier loads.

Sneaky, I dont have any plans right now for paint. I'm kinda just diggin the patchwork black and tan! :lol:

ps I just got the CAA grip on! Tan grip with black front and back straps, it feels great! (Thanks again LES!!! Its perfect!) It fits very naturally even though I dont have large hands, and creates less strain as I dont have to try and close my hand as much as I do with the standard M4 grip! ... I guess this is gonna require more pics.

Mo Pics is always good.

I like that style of grip. I have one of the old one piece CAA G27 grips on my SBR AR and an ATI Strikeforce like it on my AK.

They're one of the more comfortable grips I've found to use.

Congrats on a great choice in AR's Bro !!

OLYMPICARMSCAR97wBAYOsmaller-1-1-2.jpg

Just visited the OA2 intro area and left you a msg...

Can't wait to hear what the range report will bring !! ;)

Shooter, that looks great!

I love the M4 profile barrel and is that an M7? I've never seen one like that and I'm gonna have to start lookin!!! :shock: Beautiful. Knife. uhh, bayonet. ;)

You left a message on OA2? I dont have one... hmmm. I dunno?

SHOOTER!!! :lol: I'm still a total nOOb!!! :lol:

I just realized that was your post! :D

Yup...that's me !! :cool:

And no, that's not an M7 bayo...just a presentation grade M7 look-alike I picked up. My rifle was purchased during the Clinton AWB ( Assault Weapon Ban ) in the 90's, so it doesn't have a bayonet lug to hang one off of it. I could buy another barrel with a lug and have seen add-on accessory rails to hold one, but it's really not a priority.

And on the end of the barrel, that's not a flash hider...it's a compensator. Kinda like a Cutts compensator on a Tommy Gun. Looks like one too...!

CUTTERSCOMPENSATOR-1-1-1.jpg

I really got to take better pics of all my toys...the ones you see here now were for insurance purposes and proof of ownership should anything happen...they all need to be re-taken.

My first AR was also during the clinton AWB shooter. And I didn't know you also had an account there. Small world and very cool.
icon_thumb.gif
Glad we don't have to fool with that post ban stuff anymore though.

Here was my first AR. An OA Plinker. Just after the ban died apparently since it has a collapsible car stock on it. And the same compensator :cool:

OAPlinker001.jpg

Oh COOL! Interesting piece of info on the ban firearms... uhh, especially since I was just coming of age to be buying firearms back then.

I was starting a family back then and there was DEFINITELY NO MONEY for firearms in those days. It was during the Clinton administration I tried to join the USMC. Bases were being closed and there were huge cut back in defense spending. I already had knee problems and after a physical they didnt want me. The Gunny said they werent in a positition they needed everyone. So I tried to join the USAF. I didnt lie to them about tryin to join the Corps and they didnt want me either... So, I began my little family shortly after.

Anyhow. Looks like we may make it to the range this morning. I'll get some vid and pics for yall, we also have some shotgun and .45 ACP we're gonna try out.

I also have several points I wanna make about the few issues I ran into during swapping out parts, like loosing the crush washer for my flash hider! :lol: Kinda a funny story reall! :D

Rossignol said:
Oh COOL! Interesting piece of info on the ban firearms... uhh, especially since I was just coming of age to be buying firearms back then.

You callin' me old or something?

:lol:

Just kiddin' bro.

Let us know what you think about your AR when you get a chance. But brace yourself for the awesome recoil of the .223

After shooting all of those full house shotgun slugs, we're not sure if you can handle all the power of that rifle by yourself :lol:

Looking forward to the pics and video. :cool:

John A. said:
My first AR was also during the clinton AWB shooter. And I didn't know you also had an account there. Small world and very cool.
icon_thumb.gif
Glad we don't have to fool with that post ban stuff anymore though.

Here was my first AR. An OA Plinker. Just after the ban died apparently since it has a collapsible car stock on it. And the same compensator :cool:

Yea, John...I hear ya !!

This is my wife's Olympic Arms Plinker Plus that I got her for Christmas a few years ago...she just left it stock, and will tear a single ragged hole at 100 yards with the iron sights.

God, I love that woman...!!
SGMUSARMY.gif

OLYMPICARMSA2small-1-1.jpg

SPECS

Receiver Material 7075 T6 Aluminum Forged Receivers Machined By Olympic Arms
Receiver Finish Black Matte Anodized Receivers, Parkerized Steel Parts
Action Gas Operated Semi-automatic Action
Upper Type A1 w/ ajustable windage only
Front Sight Elevation adjustable post w/ bayonet lug
Handguard Fiberite carbine length caps
Barrel 16", button rifled, 4140 chromemoly steel
Chambering 5.56 NATO
Bore Long-life non-chromed bore
Twist Rate 1x9
Muzzle A2 flash suppressor
Stock A2 w/ trapdoor
Length 35.75"
Weight 7.37 lbs

Very sweet Shooter13. :cool:

Nothing in this world wrong with a simple, sleek AR.

I used to be a sucker for every new-fangled gadget out there, but the last year or so, I have been very deliberate about what I put (or keep) on my guns.

Back