• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

RP 38 special revolver

Im sure yall are tired of all my new posts and threads... Sorry. Lol

Theres an RP 38 special revolver in my area for sale. I have never heard of this brand. But im interested in it. I would like a revolver around the house, and this is small enough to carry concealed when i get my permit.

Anyone here familiar? I cant find any info online.

It looks a bit rough. But the guy will fire a few rounds before i purchase it to show it works. And i might be able to clean it up a bit. According to im it sapose to look like this, but i dont believe it. Lol. However, it looks surface so a polish and black paint would do wonders i think. And i would of coarse check the barrell/ rifling first.

He is asking 150, but i dont think i would pay more then $120... However, it may not be worth that. Or it may be worth more. I cant tell.

EDIT: I FOUND AN OLD AUCTION WITH ONE THAT LOOKS LIKE IT. BRAND IS Q.F.I.

farther research brings me to find its a company from south florida, looks like they were only around from 1990-1992. Wishing i could get info as to if there at least safe.

The auction is old. But this is it: (please note. This is not the gun im looking at, just one like it.)

http://www.auctionarms.com/search/displ ... =9065873.0

634460068923381332lfnsr2nr.jpg

Wow... I think that qualifies as a Bona Fide "saturday night special". Not something I'd trust my life to.

Just my 2 cents...but, if I were you...I'd just save my money up to buy something that doesn't look like it would blow-up in my hand !! Where did you find that thing...a pawn shop ?

Really...seriously, not to burst your bubble...but go to a real gun shop when you save about three hundred and get a real gun.

Paint it black ??!! Ya gotta be kiddin me... :roll:

SHOOTER13 said:
Just my 2 cents...but, if I were you...I'd just save my money up to buy something that doesn't look like it would blow-up in my hand !! Where did you find that thing...a pawn shop ?

Really...seriously, not to burst your bubble...but go to a real gun shop when you save about three hundred and get a real gun.

Paint it black ??!! Ya gotta be kiddin me... :roll:

Oh come on, that last part was un called for. Im a gun newbie, bad ideas are bound to be thought of, hell, it looks better then my dads gun, and it shoots like a champ all day long!

What would YOU suggest for around $250-$300? ( my thinking was cheap gun, so i can get ccw, and get better gun in sept when financial aid comes it) cheap gun shoots etter then no gun.. i dont think this would blow up.)

I want small and thin like this for easy conceal.

And like i said, i prefer a revolver... (Though i do fancy the ruger lcp with laser, but its too pricey)

Though if i get one in this range, my conceal weapons will have to wait til sept.

Hey...you posted a question asking for advice.

Two of us told you our opinions..."Not something I'd trust my life to." ...and my 2 cents.

And nobodys' that much of a "newbie"...that they would even think of painting a rusty revolver.

OH, and, I just read your other post...understanding the law...the one you're asking advice about circumventing Florida State law on waiting periods...no offense, but what's the rush ?

Seems Florida law is pretty clear...

(d) The following shall be exempt from any waiting period:

1. Individuals who are licensed to carry concealed firearms under the provisions of s. 790.06 or who are licensed to carry concealed firearms under any other provision of state law and who show a valid license;
2. Individuals who already lawfully own another firearm and who show a sales receipt for another firearm; who are known to own another firearm through a prior purchase from the retail establishment; or who have another firearm for trade-in;
3. A law enforcement or correctional officer as defined in s. 943.10;
4. A law enforcement agency as defined in s. 934.02;
5. Sales or transactions between dealers or between distributors or between dealers and distributors who have current federal firearms licenses; or
6. Any individual who has been threatened or whose family has been threatened with death or bodily injury, provided the individual may lawfully possess a firearm and provided such threat has been duly reported to local law enforcement.

On another board, one guy had two separate posts.

Post one in the Marketplace section:

I want to buy your gun! I don't care what kind it is. Pistol, rifle, 223, 22 LR. If it shoots, I want to buy it.

The other post was in the mandatory "What's the best caliber for self defense" thread. I s**t you not, he asked:

So how is a 22 in terms of being lethal? I'm talking something like a headshot...

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Being me I actually responded to the WTB by clipping and inserting his headshot post and saying "No, I have nothing to sell" :mrgreen:

SHOOTER13 said:

Two of us told you our opinions..."Not something I'd trust my life to." ...and my 2 cents.

And nobodys' that much of a "newbie"...that they would even think of painting a rusty revolver.

OH, and, I just read your other post...understanding the law...the one you're asking advice about circumventing Florida State law on waiting periods...no offense, but what's the rush ?

No rush at all. Just asking. Im confused. Thats it. I read one thing, and was told another. And obviously, IM that much of a newbie, maybe im just that stupid, idk. If its just light surface rust, that would come off with a little 400 sand paper, what would hurt?

Not arguing. I really wanna know.

.. no opinions on what guns for the price range you listed?

To seriously answer your question about price range. A ruger. Any ruger. A GP100 is GREAT gun and can be had used in that price range. Not as smooth, and mirror finished as an S&W or Colt, but in general ruger makes very strong, very dependable revolvers. Accurate enough for competition usually too.

gibson_es said:
No rush at all. Just asking. Im confused. Thats it. I read one thing, and was told another. And obviously, IM that much of a newbie, maybe im just that stupid, idk. If its just light surface rust, that would come off with a little 400 sand paper, what would hurt?

Not arguing. I really wanna know..... no opinions on what guns for the price range you listed?

For around $300 !?...a brand new Kel Tec PF-9...smallest, thinest, lightest 9mm on the market. Also, just about any used revolver...( except the one you got that pic of that is... :mrgreen: ).

SHOOTER13 said:

1. Individuals who are licensed to carry concealed firearms under the provisions of s. 790.06 or who are licensed to carry concealed firearms under any other provision of state law and who show a valid license;
2. Individuals who already lawfully own another firearm and who show a sales receipt for another firearm; who are known to own another firearm through a prior purchase from the retail establishment; or who have another firearm for trade-in;
5. Sales or transactions between dealers or between distributors or between dealers and distributors who have current federal firearms licenses; or
6. Any individual who has been threatened or whose family has been threatened with death or bodily injury, provided the individual may lawfully possess a firearm and provided such threat has been duly reported to local law enforcement.

Ok see. Thats what i thought. But i had two dealers tell me his is wrong. (In reference to number two)

Thats were the confusion lies.

gibson_es said:

Ok see. Thats what i thought. But i had two dealers tell me his is wrong. (In reference to number two)

Thats were the confusion lies.[/quote]

===========================================================

They're probably not saying #2 is wrong....they have the law at their fingertips. they're saying "they" aren't going to sell YOU a gun without the 3 day wait period...based on a receipt.

Just because it's the law, doesn't mean they "got" to do it...it's up to their descretion. Understand now ?!

SHOOTER13 said:
gibson_es said:

Thats were the confusion lies.

===========================================================

They're probably not saying #2 is wrong....they have the law at their fingertips. they're saying "they" aren't going to sell YOU a gun without the 3 day wait period...based on a receipt.

No, they spacifically stTes it as wrong.

However, its possible he knows im rights, and is b.s.'ing me because he isnt going to sell based on a recipt.

Just because it's the law, doesn't mean they "got" to do it...it's up to their descretion. Understand now ?![/quote]

blue said:
On another board, one guy had two separate posts.

Post one in the Marketplace section:

I want to buy your gun! I don't care what kind it is. Pistol, rifle, 223, 22 LR. If it shoots, I want to buy it.

The other post was in the mandatory "What's the best caliber for self defense" thread. I s**t you not, he asked:

So how is a 22 in terms of being lethal? I'm talking something like a headshot...

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Being me I actually responded to the WTB by clipping and inserting his headshot post and saying "No, I have nothing to sell" :mrgreen:

One of my best friends died of a .22 to the head, went in his neck, bounced around and came out his eye....unfortunately it did the job and some.

oli700 said:
One of my best friends died of a .22 to the head, went in his neck, bounced around and came out his eye....unfortunately it did the job and some.

Sorry for your loss. They'll all kill you dead given the chance. Point of my post was don't sell a gun to a guy who's follow up question is "Naught for Nuthin', but will this kill someone or should I look for a bigger one?"

gibson_es said:
And obviously, IM that much of a newbie, maybe im just that stupid, idk. If its just light surface rust, that would come off with a little 400 sand paper, what would hurt?

What hurts it is the loss of metal. If you are successful in getting all the rust (not just the cosmetic) then you would be left with a firearm that has been structurally compromised. Rust eats metal, take away the rust and you have pitting. Pitting is missing metal. Guns are subject to great pressures and manufactures design guns around those pressures. Your dads gun might shoot forever might blow up tomorrow. You might shoot the 38 you are interested in fine until the day you put a +P in the cylinder, that might be enough to throw it over into failure…..that just the structural risk you take not to mention the little accuracy a short barrel like that has is pretty muck gone if the barrel is pitted. Good thing is you are allowed to accept that risk. You have got sound advice here from others. Make your decision.

blue said:
oli700 said:

Sorry for your loss. They'll all kill you dead given the chance. Point of my post was don't sell a gun to a guy who's follow up question is "Naught for Nuthin', but will this kill someone or should I look for a bigger one?"

Thanks, it was awhile ago. Teen years. What sucks is it was a faulty gun and we all knew it..... :cry:

oli700 said:
gibson_es said:
And obviously, IM that much of a newbie, maybe im just that stupid, idk. If its just light surface rust, that would come off with a little 400 sand paper, what would hurt?

What hurts it is the loss of metal. If you are successful in getting all the rust (not just the cosmetic) then you would be left with a firearm that has been structurally compromised. Rust eats metal, take away the rust and you have pitting. Pitting is missing metal. Guns are subject to great pressures and manufactures design guns around those pressures. Your dads gun might shoot forever might blow up tomorrow. You might shoot the 38 you are interested in fine until the day you put a +P in the cylinder, that might be enough to throw it over into failure…..that just the structural risk you take not to mention the little accuracy a short barrel like that has is pretty muck gone if the barrel is pitted. Good thing is you are allowed to accept that risk. You have got sound advice here from others. Make your decision.

Thanks for the reply.

Ima def going to look around at the better guns this weekend. Might trade my 9mm for a few bucks off if i really like it but its just a tad too much.. but it will be hard to let go of.

oli700 said:
Are you starting a collection or.....dont like the 9 ?

A collection would be nice... But its not priorty number 1. My 9mm works great. Very reliable. But its a cheapie, and its too big for me to comfortably carry concealed. I dont wanna let go of it, but im not totally opposed to doing so if i find a good deal or a gun i cant pass up.

Back