• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

SA-20 Range Report

I put about 50 shells through her over the weekend- not a single problem at all. I was using Winchester Super X 3/4 oz. slugs.
This was my first time shooting it since having the Pachmeyer recoil pad installed. While the recoil was still relatively stout, and gave a mild soreness to my upper chest, it was an improvement from the OEM stock.
Can someone tell me, do slugs tend to give more recoil than buckshot?

petediddy said:

Great to hear you had a good range trip! To answer your question, yes... slugs will transfer more recoil energy to the user since the powder behind the slug has more surface area to push against. With round buck and bird shot... some of the energy created by the powder escapes through the spaces between the shot :ugeek:

aksavanaman said:
petediddy said:

Great to hear you had a good range trip! To answer your question, yes... slugs will transfer more recoil energy to the user since the powder behind the slug has more surface area to push against. With round buck and bird shot... some of the energy created by the powder escapes through the spaces between the shot :ugeek:
How does it do that? Gas blow by? I've always heard that throwing 3/4 oz downrange at the same velocity will yield the same recoil, no matter what the projectile(s). Are you sure about this?

Lol... thinking about it... I'm actually full of crap... :D

I forgot that all shot shells have a wad...duhhh! The wad eliminates any blow by... so all (or most) of the powder energy is transfered to the shot/slug.... sorry for the wrong information!

But... thinking about it a little more, and this is just my best educated guess... the slug actually forms a seal within the barrel as it's leaving the choke... = more pressure within the barrel. Shot doesn't have the same effect... maybe that's where the difference in felt recoil energy comes from... just a guess now though

Hi PeteDiddy,

In one of your posts you mentioned you installed a Pachmeyer recoil pad. Could you please tell me which one you went with exactly, (model or item #). And whether or not you had to make any adjustments to the pad after purchase.

And if anyone else has recommendations for pads that would fit the sa-20, that would be great too.

Thanks,

Kaylen

Back