• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Safe to use 00 buckshot on rifled deer barrel ?

JayJay-O

.22LR
I have an Non Mossberg Shotgun ( Rem 870 ) with a 26in vent rib & 20in rifled deer/slug barrel.
Having difficulty finding a shorter 14 to 18.5in smooth bore barrel for home defense in Canada.
Most US merchants wont ship to Canada & not too many local merchants have much to offer whether new/used.

As such I'm limited to using the 20 in deer barrel on my 870 for home defense (in a condo).
Armed home invasion/carjacking are now rampant here. :brick:

In a pinch, would it be safe to use 00 buck on the 20in rifled deer barrel ?
Slugs would probably over-penetrate condo walls.
And my 30-30 & 22lr rifles would be equally "inappropriate" for condo use.

Thanks in advance for any input/advice.

They let you defend yourself in Kanada? I thought you were just supposed to leave your doors unlocked and keys in the car or something? ;) I'm sorry, but my comment would be "funny" if it didn't have some truth to it... :(

Here in FL we have the Castle Doctrine which allows us to shoot home invaders and ask questions later. In fact, if 3 thugs kicked in a door, 2 got shot with 00 in the face (dead) and the 3rd was caught by police, they would be charging the 3rd with double-homicide. Funny how that works... :)

But you should be OK shooting lead shot out of a rifled barrel. Many loads are "cupped" anyway. I would avoid non-Pb shot (W or Fe) as it could be hard on the rifling...

PS: you could always cut the 26" barrel down and remount the bead. With care, the results can look professional...

PPS: here is a link to shortening a vent-rib barrel on a Pardner Pump LINK

Last edited:
As others above said you should be able to shoot buckshot from the barrel.

That said, I think you will run into two issues but neither is a showstopper.

The rifling will have a tendency to spin the shot cup/wad and this effect, as the range to the target increases, will result in a donut shot pattern. At HD ranges not much to worry about but the pattern at longer distances won't be very good.

Secondly, debris from the shot cup/wad/pellets/unburnt powder will find their way into the rifling grooves and will require really intense cleaning before you shoot rifle slugs.

Don't know if you have anyone who sells demilled weapons in Canada but here's a link to a U.S. base company that does. Not sure if they can sell in Canada but you might ask. But good place to pickup extra barrels and parts.

Regards

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the tips & sage advice.
And yes, car thieves are getting outta hand here in Toronto.
Hence the need for effective home pest control

Example :

And cops here suggest :

:brick:

p.s. We Canucks are so envious of your 2nd Amendment rights.
All we're allowed to use in terms of Self defense is foul language. :mad:

Last edited:
I have an Non Mossberg Shotgun ( Rem 870 ) with a 26in vent rib & 20in rifled deer/slug barrel.
Having difficulty finding a shorter 14 to 18.5in smooth bore barrel for home defense in Canada.
Most US merchants wont ship to Canada & not too many local merchants have much to offer whether new/used.
Best I can recommend is check your local Cabela's...I've seen them in there from time to time. Also, couldn't hurt to check out any gun shows in your area...I've seen them in varying lengths.

I think in the absence of Remington's own manufacturing for a few years, Carlson's has been making some replacement barrels, so keep an eye out for those. Places like Elwood Epps and some of the bigger shops in ON will be a better bet.

Hopefully, with Remington production back online we will see parts re-appearing on the market soon.

Edit: I almost forgot, check out GUNPOST for new/used stuff. I've managed to get some very respectable deals over the last few years.

https://www.gunpost.ca/

Last edited:
Bobster is right, you could shorten a barrel. Shortened to a minimum 18.5", you could have a gunsmith cut it and crown it for you. Our laws are stupid, (no kidding) you can buy a factory shotgun barrel down to as short as 10" or even less I think and it's no problem. But, cut down a barrel to less than 18.5" and you're a criminal.

It likely won't be too tough to find a good, used 870 barrel to cut down.

JayJay-O, I had an idea, but it has been mentioned above, so I will just say welcome to the forum from Oklahoma.

Back