• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Schrade Out the front

John A.

Unconstitutional laws are not laws.
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Few knives just scream "buy me" when I see them, but the Schrade out the front series is one of those that I really wanted to have just because they are unique. They've been out for a few years and in a few different variants, but not in any "large" quantity from what I can tell, so when I came across them for less than $40, I didn't want any longer.

I have always been a fan of Schrade knives as a whole. I couldn't tell you how many old timers and other knives they have made that I have had over the years.

Whether when I was a lineman and had one on my climbing belt, when I worked at the jail, or when I was earning badges in cub scouts, skinning my first deer, whittling on the front porch with my Dad and Grandpa, and even in Mr. Smiths 4th grade class standing at the front of the room beside his desk sharpening a pencil over top of the garbage can with one. (yes, all of those really happened). Often.

I may have a few other "automatic" knives, but this is my first Schrade like that. I don't think I'm very fond of the "trigger" being so far back on the handle of the otf3 and that honestly does seem counter-intuitive and unweildy, but I am going to reserve judgement until I get it in my hands, and if nothing else, will still add to my meager collection of knives nonetheless.

The V8 version is the newest variant and has the better "switch" release and I think I am going to be more fond of it.

If there is anyone here who isn't familiar with either model, these videos should explain it pretty well.

I bought both the OTF 3 and the OTF V8 model, and the latter is the newest variant and you can see it in the 2nd video.

I had a Benchmade Infidel. High cool factor, very low use factor......ended up selling it

I want a Pry Tool from Topps more than anything... CRKT has a pretty sweet one for about half the price. I'm big in Hacking blades like Tanto and Pry Knives (Dive Tools). This thing catches my interest however lol

Oli, I have a double action out the front that I've had for years. I got it from one of my buddies when I was in the 7th or 8th grade. It's not exactly what I consider high quality, and I understand what you mean about "practical" because it's not a carry knife, but for my collection, It's always had its' place.

I suspect that this knife will be better quality than it is.

And I can carry it in a sheath on my belt without causing as much stir as a pistol on my side.

Cool I've always likes those as well, but that knife falls into a bit of a grey area in MI, I would not want to get caught carrying it. Our laws are a little vague when it comes to assisted opening knives. It specifically mentions auto opening knives but the wording after that is a bit of a catch all for whatever they deem illegal.

The dual edges blade would create some issues as well.

Double action ?

never held a Shrade otf, I've always liked Shrade though

The Benchmade was super nicely made but it was a pig sticker. I like stickers but for me a knife has to offer some utility. The Benchmade could have done some utility work but it would have just ruined the knife......Although it was top shelf all those moving parts aren't supposed to be stressed out and still expected to work and fit nice

It was just for running into someones neck ......or belly. Sold it and got a stout folder that can stab, cut and build my camp

Good luck , I am sure you will like it

Oli, Double action is the term where you can push the release lever forward, the blade goes forward out the front. Pull the release lever rearward, the blade goes back in the handle under its' own spring pressure and locks closed "automatically". Hopefully, that explains what a double action means in the knife world.

Like I said, I wanted to add them to my collection. Whether I use them daily or not. And in having a few other knives like this, I understand what you mean. They're not made for "heavy labor". They just are what they are. And under $40 seems like a fair price.

Mike, there are no illegal knives (or guns) here.

1 edge, 2 edge, or more is no difference.

But in order to carry anything besides an "ordinary" pocket knife or "hunting" knife IN your pocket, you have to have a CCW.

Carry in a sheath on your belt, necklace, or basically "visible", no problem with or without CCW.

Oli, Double action is the term where you can push the release lever forward, the blade goes forward out the front. Pull the release lever rearward, the blade goes back in the handle under its' own spring pressure and locks closed "automatically". Hopefully, that explains what a double action means in the knife world.
Oh, I thought they all did that.......how else would a guy get on back in the handle ?......a "single action" would be very disappointing

A single action means the person manually pulls the blade back into the handle his self. Essentially resetting the blade for the next time someone releases it.

Double action, you just pull the lever rearward a little and the blade "shoots back in there" the exact opposite of how it comes out and the knife basically resets itself when you tell it to.

Is that a better explanation?

Double action on youtube

I understood clear the first time, just never knew there were any that didn't retract automatic , I would never buy one that didn't do it all on its own

That's always your choice. I don't see it as a big deal if I have to retract it myself. I own pocket knives that don't do either open OR close by theirselves. LOL

Own some that do.

And some that are fixed blades that are always there.

Maybe a few butterfly knives and throw in a straight razor or two.

Some with very short blades, some that are a couple feet long.

Just something else to add to the collection. Nothing wrong with a healthy variety of anything.

ok your not picking up what I'm putting down, regardless have fun with you new knife

Back