• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

semi-convert

Hey everyone!!

New guy here. And a semi-convert as well. Bought my very own first firearm a few years ago. Was supposed to be a 20" 590a1. Got talked out of it for a slick-looking Benelli SuperNova. Now don't get me wrong, its a great shotgun. One of the softest shooting 12 gauges I've used with its "Comfortec" stock. But the length of pull was always on the long side for me. Great for trap shooting and the like, but I felt slow on getting it up (stop giggling) onto my shoulder and getting a good sight picture with a proper cheek weld. Has nice ghost ring sights for accuracy, but felt that also made me a little slow compared to just a bead. And to top it off, there are just so few accessories for it, its hardly customizable at all!! I decided I wanted something better suited for home defense and some shotgun courses I want to take. (and yes I'll admit, something to tac out a bit too) So I've come back to the idea of a Mossberg. Got one on order and waiting (impatiently) for its arrival. Photos to come!!

Looking forward to chatting with and sharing tips and ideas with you all.

Welcome aboard and we'll look forward to the pics. You will find everything here from few to no mods to pretty decked out. So which model do you have on order?

Edit - looks like me and AK were hitting the enter button at the same time.
Good to see you here too AK!

Thanks for the welcome guys!! Decided on a 590a1 with a 18.5" fluted barrel and LPA trigger. Should be in sometime next week. Also put in an order for the Magpul furniture for it, as well as the S&J Plus 2 extension. As I mentioned in my original post, I was leaning towards a 20" 8+1 from the beginning, but I had heard/read that they tend to be front heavy and I do like the idea of keeping it short. With the plus 2 I'll be at 7+1, only giving up one round which I think I'm ok with. Unfortunately I do lose the option of putting on a badass bayonet though... oh well... ;) I'm so excited about this build I'm not only gonna create a thread for all the parts I'm gonna install, I'm even thinking of videoing the build and starting up my first YouTube channel with it!! (maybe not, but we'll see)

cantwaitcantwaitcantwaitcantwaitcantwaitcantwaitcantwaitcantwaitcantwaitcantwaitcantwaitcantwaitcantwait!!!! :D

Any thoughts or suggestions on where to start or what else to add?? Right now I'm researching a Meprolight vs an XS Big Dot front sight...

oh... I'm also fairly new to forums in general. How do I add an image to my signature?? I read the rules and guideline and it specifies a size limit, but I'm not sure how to add one at all. Thanks!!

Mine is an 18" barrel 590A1. I can vouch for the S&J extension. Great service and product. I just needed to trim the spring a bit. I can't speak for the XS but do like my Meprolight bead. Lol...your into post is turning into a parts thread. Keep your enthusiasm high but at the same time think through what you are trying to accomplish.

Welcome aboard.

We've got a great group of folks here on Mossberg Owners and the atmosphere is very laid back. The only thing we like better than discussing each other's guns is lookin at 'em, so we're lookin forward to pics of your new 590A1 when it arrives.

Any thoughts or suggestions on where to start or what else to add??

A field strip and a thorough cleaning/lube followed by a range trip to check proper function of the weapon in factory condition is a must. I'd run a hundred rounds or so through it BEFORE you change a thing. We've seen it too many times around here where folks buy all kinds of goodies and install them before they ever shoot the thing only to find out they either don't like it or it doesn't work for them. After you've sent some rounds down range it'll be easier to figure out what you need to improve the ergonomics or to better fit your shooting style, but the less is more philosophy definitely applies to defensive shotguns.

Take a look around and feel free to post up pics of any other firearms you own in the various sub-forums. You'll find that we're into a lot more than just Mossberg around here. Jump in on the conversation anywhere and let us know if you have any questions.

Enjoy the site!

- L.E.S.

Just as @LAZY EYED SNIPER and @carbinemike said...take the time to get to know her before you start changing stuff up. You may just realize she was perfect to start out with;)

I'm sure I'm not the only one with 3 or 5 or 10 parts that hung on our guns that now collect dust or were sold off. My 590A1 went from this....
DSC_0174.jpg

To this.....

IMG_0253.jpg

On to this...

DSC_0288_zpsb197866d.jpg

An now resides under my bed as this...

DSC_0016_zpsb05408a0.jpg

Everything I need, nothing I don't... all in a simple sexy package. If the women in our lives could only stay that way:D

A field strip and a thorough cleaning/lube followed by a range trip to check proper function of the weapon in factory condition is a must.

I actually do completely agree with you on that. With all of my firearms, I make sure I do a complete disassemble, clean, lube, reassemble, function test, and repeat BEFORE I even shoot the first round. Gives me a chance to get really acquainted with the um, unit? piece? tool? alright, firearm (different kind of lube). What's odd and always kills me is the FFL I have do my transfers is my local range. Just seems strange to go to the range, pick up a nice new toy, open it, inspect it with minimal fondling (or as much as to not get me kicked out), take it home to strip, clean and lube (so many euphemisms!!), AND THEN go back to the range to shoot it. But as I said, I do agree... its better to start things off right and make sure there's minimal problems down the line.

@aksavanaman Great photos!! Each iteration looks/ed really good. I gotta say, the wood furniture really does make her look damn sexy!! Perfect shade with the Parkerized finish. Classic... Nice set-up, dude!!

I'd been going back and forth for months between the 18.5" and 20" models. I like keeping my long guns tight (that's what she said) and now that I know about S&J's Plus 2 extension, I went with the 18.5". But there's something that still draws me to the 20". Its one word. Bayonet!! Actually two words... BAD-ASS BAYONET!! :) oh well... guess that just means I'll have to get another one down the road. :p (still waiting on my first one!!)

Got the call to pick up my 590a1 and I probably shouldn't bring up how many traffic laws I, uh, bent on the way here. Filled out my paperwork and while waiting on approval I looked over the shotgun. Overall looks fine, EXCEPT... The safety got pretty jacked up!! Figured out that while in transport, the barrel lug made contact with it. (It's packaged in assembled to save space for those who don't know)
Should I be concerned?? The lug looks like a bit of the finish wore off where it came in contact with the safety but the safety itself is pretty marred up. Gonna try to attach a pic. What do you guys think??

465199b0d3a024a2d4d14b520ea7c09a.jpg

253357cf6ed219c6cba1104f2cd8e40f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not the type to sweat these things, but I'm sure Mossberg CS would send you a new safetey if you showed them these pictures. I certainly wouldn't worry about the functionality of it.

You paid good money for the gun, you should get a gun in good condition.

I would send our contact a email with those pics and explain what happened. Tell him you are from MO.

Here's his info,,,,,

Joe Zakher
jzakher@maverickarms.com

Keep us posted.

Thank all. Sometimes I worry if I'm being too OCD about some things and this is actually the first time I've bought something online (sight unseen) and not be able to simply return it if I had a problem. I have plans on upgrading the safety switch anyways to either an over sized one or the one from ProMag with the extended lip. What worries me most is the damage to the finish on the barrel lug.
Also I did bring it home and did a complete tear down and clean. Gonna attach some pics of the bore. Ran several patches both dry and wet with Balistol and a brush several times and it's still looks dirty to me. Is this normal??
5eb83a1c07305701c5767905d71ff2dc.jpg

9cf6c32ec784d640804665c1a103a254.jpg

AND... Am I wrong but isn't the receiver supposed to be Parkerized as well as the barrel and tube?? It looks like a matte blued to me. It definitely looks black and doesn't match the barrel.
66bec642cb69eaab4e7a5551a61cac10.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Barrel looks normal to me.

Stick a bore brush on a cleaning rod in a power drill and run it through the barrel for a bit. It'll help polish the bore some. Also, the receiver is aluminum which cannot be parkerized. I completely understand not wanting nicks and scuffs on a brand new shotgun, but if you haven't added a half dozen or so in the next few months you're not using it right.

Look at it this way, at least now you won't be worried about putting that first ding on it... ;)

...but...but...I wanna be the first to put a ding on it... :(

Thanks LES (as I see many here refer you as) for reminding me about the receiver being aluminum. (duh moment) I dunno know about the bore and putting a Power tool to it tho. That kinda makes me nervous. At least there isn't any rifling to screw up but still... It just seemed like whatever they had on the bore during storage/shipping was caked on and the copper brush I am using is slow and lightly breaking it up. Picking up a bore snake today and see if that makes any difference.

As for the safety switch, I am sending Mossberg/Maverick an email with the photos, if anything just to let them be aware of it. Thanks for the contact info @old mossy . Hopefully they will send me a new switch. As I said I'm likely going to upgrade that part anyway but its always good to have spare parts available. And yes it does still function fine. (tho at first was REALLY STIFF. And it just looks awful!!) Now for the part of the barrel lug that f'ed up my safety switch, for the most part its fine. But there is definitely a mar/scrape/scratch in the finish. Don't suppose there's a way to touch that up is there?? Or do I leave it as is and just keep an eye on it for any future corrosion/rust?? What do you guys do to deal with scrapes and dings??

Gonna do another strip and clean and try to get the bore a bit cleaner before taker her out to the range for her first few (dozen) rounds. Will post photos after...

No problem.

Birchwood Casey "Bore Scrubber" will help cut through the gunk. Don't clean my shotguns very often, but when I do they get the power drill treatment. There's nothing a copper brush spinning at high rpm is gonna do to the barrel that lead or steel shot moving through it at 1200-1600 fps won't do. You gotta remember these shotguns are hammers, not scalpels.

Scuffs and scratches on my shotguns get covered up with carbon fouling and more scratches. If you do want to cover it though, hit that spot with some Rustoleum Outdoor Grill High Heat spray paint. Their flat black should be the closest match and blend pretty well...

Back