• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

semi-convert

Thanks for the tips LES!! Think I'll check to see if my LGS has that Bore Scrubber when I get the bore snake. I have a few of them for my pistols and Mini and I think they're awesome!! Quick and easy... But yeah you're right... I do tend to baby my gear too much. At least in the beginning. Try to start things off right and have things close to perfect... then its kinda downhill from there. Tend to get further and further between cleanings and "oops is that another scratch?? Oh well..." I sometimes forget that even with the most basic minimal amount of care, these things are built to out live me. I mean that's why I went with the beefed up 590a1. But one... treat it well... and one day pass it down...

3 days ago, Joe from Maverick Arms responded to my email about the condition my new 590a1 came to me in. He apologized and offered to have it picked up from me to get "serviced". Honestly, I can't decide what to do. Do I keep it as is and deal with the jacked up safety button (which I intend on upgrading anyways) and the damage to the finish on the barrel lug?? From my understanding, you can't touch-up parkerizing so it would have to be completely refinished. I'm not really sure if Mossberg would even consider doing that and I'd really be annoyed if I send it away, wait at a minimum of a week to get it back, to find they only changed the safety button. I might as well just have them send ME a replacement button. What do you guys think?? (Maybe I should ask Joe... novel idea huh?) UGH... I guess this is why its almost always better to check out an item in hand before buying it...

But I did get it out to the range today. And damn its fun to shoot!! :)

So... without further adieu...
IMG_6149.jpg

Last edited:
I think he's dead! Nice work, nice shotgun... I'd be willing to bet it will be cleaned once or twice throughout an episode of Walking Dead;)

I would just ask for a new safety and be done with it. I used to be anal about dings to my guns until I started taking training classes. Take it to an outdoor range, shoot it for a while, drop it on the ground a couple of times and you won't even notice any of the imperfections.

Then again, if you're one of those that likes their guns in pristine condition because you might sell it later on, then I'd send it in.

PS, I shoot at GHF as well...

Just as @LAZY EYED SNIPER and @carbinemike said...take the time to get to know her before you start changing stuff up. You may just realize she was perfect to start out with;)

I'm sure I'm not the only one with 3 or 5 or 10 parts that hung on our guns that now collect dust or were sold off. My 590A1 went from this....
View attachment 6391

To this.....

View attachment 6393

On to this...

View attachment 6392

An now resides under my bed as this...

View attachment 6390

Everything I need, nothing I don't... all in a simple sexy package. If the women in our lives could only stay that way:D

PERFECT ADVICE.

And... It is impossible to anodize aluminum, and phosphate coat steel, and have them look anywhere similar.

Sorry I'm late to the festivities...but howdy and welcome to the club. :D
I think if you are going to upgrade the safety then I wouldn't worry about it. But just in case, they owe you a new one, undamaged, ask Joe to send you just the safety (because you prefer not to be without your HD) and it should be fine.
ripjack13
smiley-greet013.gif

well... I sent her in. I emailed Joe and according to him, they would not just send me a new safety button and that it would have to be serviced. (??) Sent it out last Thursday. Checked UPS tracking and it was signed for Monday morning. I called to check on its status and to get a tracking number back, and I was told that it wasn't entered into their system yet. "It usually takes 3 days to get to service." But it has been 3 days... Monday to Wednesday. The rep suggested I call again tomorrow and check. Anyone else have this kind of experience with getting their shotty serviced?? Should I get nervous that its floating around somewhere or just trust they do have it and will get to it "eventually"??

Lalo... You in NJ too?? Which outdoor ranges do you go to?? Are you a member at GFH? I joined a few months ago and plan to take a couple of courses there. Nice indoor range and good group of guys...

Don't get nervous, this is normal.

I would e-mail Joe directly for info and updates. As far as not sending the safety button, that's normal too. Certain parts require "installation by a certified gunsmith or technician" according to legal jargon and Mossberg can't send those parts out without risking legal liability...

Thanks LES. I figured that was the case with the safety which is why I sent it. Even if I were to upgrade the safety button myself, I want to have a good one as a back up (if I didn't like the upgrade or whatever). Also I was told by Joe that they would replace (not refinish) the barrel since the finish was damaged on the lug from its contact to the safety.

So you think I should email Joe directly instead of calling in?? I'll try that... and be patient. (sigh)

Yes, definitely stay in touch with Joe directly.

If you get in touch with a random tech by phone, you'll get random service. Mr. Zakher takes pride in his work and will take a personal interest in making sure your work order is handled in a timely manner...

Update. Not good.

Finally received my 590a1 back from Mossberg. Apparently they were doing "inventory" all last week so according to them, nothing was being sent out. Just my luck right? Fine... so I waited another week. Total of three weeks on what I think is a rather simple repair... and I open the package to find that NOTHING WAS DONE!! Ok, I shouldn't say nothing, but the repair was COMPLETELY WRONG. They sent it back to me with the same damaged safety switch. Wasn't even touched. The barrel, which Joe assured me would be replaced, has what is clearly some sort of "touch up paint" on the lug - it is a slightly darker shade than the rest. I took a look at the invoice that came with it and it states that the barrel and Mag tube were replaced. Seems to me that the latter is the only thing that is true. (why?? never asked for a new tube) Invoice doesn't even mention the safety switch. ARGG!!! I'm so freakin' annoyed!!! I wrote Joe an email with more photos explaining this to him and asking again if he can just send me a new safety switch cause I am NOT sending it in again. Three weeks for nothing!! So much for Mossberg's stellar Customer Service.

Back