• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Shockwave mods and questions/issues?

nathanotis

Copper BB
Hello, all.

I got my shockwave new from the shop a few months back. I ran a couple boxes through it at the range and decided I liked it enough to want to make it better for my use case. In the process of installing a laser saddle, a safety switch with a larger ridge and a flash light out front, I started to notice a few things.

1. The safety switch. I ordered this part from NDZ Performance. I was in a hurry and the safety dropped into the body of the gun where the trigger group is housed. I got to take the weapon apart a bit more than I had planned for, as a result. It was a little bit of a hassle, but I got it back together just fine. It moves firmly from ready to safe and passes all function tests. Problem is, this safety switch rocks a little in either position. I've reached out to NDZ, I've disassembled and reassembled a few times, even re-installing the stock switch to see if the wobble was present when it was installed (it wasn't). I was hoping someone might give me an idea for what could be going on that I'm missing.

2. in the course of installing the new parts, I've noticed that the fore end of my shockwave doesn't move as far down the mag tube as it does in any video or photo of a shockwave I can find on line.It's not a subtle difference, either. I'm talking a few inches from the magazine cap. Again, the weapon "dry cycles" all sizes of shells without apparent issue (I've not *fired* it since I noted this condition). I've reached out to Mossberg and plan to go to the gun shop where I bought it, but I'm not seeing any obvious issue with the weapon or it's assembly.

Again, I'm hoping someone here might think of something I haven't and help me out...

Thank you.

Last edited:
As for the ndz safety, I have one on one of my work guns.

Just be sure you didn't lose the spring or the ball detent.

But, I like the raised section on the ndz safety lever A LOT. Even though mine seems to be tighter and more restrictive than the factory one from a lack of better explanation. I might have tightened the screw a little too tight. Which is possible since I only know gorilla tight and falling off loose. I have no in-betweens.

I don't know about the forend. If it's cycling shells, it's probably working exactly as it should be I suppose?

Regarding your cycling / lockup issue. As you close the action by moving the fore end forward the bolt lug should lock up into the barrel slot.

Guess you could check this lockup by taking a wooden dowel and inserting it into the muzzle end of the barrel when the action is closed to see if you have a firm lockup.

Regards

Does your shockwave possibly have an 18” barrel, like those in California?. That would make it “ look” different than the 14” barrel that is mostly shown in Shockwave pics..??

Last edited:
Does your shockwave possibly have an 18” barrel, like those in California?. That would make it “ look” different than the 14” barrel that is mostly shown in Shockwave pics..??

:omg:

Thank you! I had no idea such a thing existed. I just cracked the safe and measured. Sure enough, 18" barrel. This is the solution to my fore-end position issue. (I need to decide how upset I am about getting a firearm with a barrel 4" longer than I thought I was getting...)

With regard to the safety: I was supremely careful with the spring and ball. I hit them each with a small dab of "gunsmith glue" (a.k.a. grease) to keep them in place during reassembly.

I wonder if the "CA Edition" might have something to do with the safety issue? I wouldn't think it would.

I don’t know jack about aftermarket safety’s, but it could be as simple as slightly beveled reliefs machined into the new piece to make sure it’s easier to operate than the stocker. Maybe…

As far as getting the 18” instead of the 14”, the only difference between several models of the 590 and a Shockwave is the grip. If a dealer was just making 18” “shockwave’s “ by adding a Shockwave Technology raptor or “ birdshead” grip and charging a premium price for a $25 grip, I’d be pissed. You can get an 18” model 88, and add that raptor grip to make a Shockwave without the top safety for under $ 300. The benefit to having the 18” is you can put on a nice Hogue over molded pistol grip on it while maintaining the 26”+ OAL requirement without all the suspicious side eye at the range. Personally, in a do over, I’d choose the 18” just to avoid the inevitable conflict with Karen…lol

:omg:

Thank you! I had no idea such a thing existed. I just cracked the safe and measured. Sure enough, 18" barrel. This is the solution to my fore-end position issue. (I need to decide how upset I am about getting a firearm with a barrel 4" longer than I thought I was getting...)

With regard to the safety: I was supremely careful with the spring and ball. I hit them each with a small dab of "gunsmith glue" (a.k.a. grease) to keep them in place during reassembly.

I wonder if the "CA Edition" might have something to do with the safety issue? I wouldn't think it would.

I have a few parts from NDZ for my Glocks and they have been good performers so far. I wonder if you have one that is slightly out spec. I also have bought extended safetys for Mossys before that had the wiggles and they did not have any performance issues. If you are not happy with it, you might try the one from Rowe Tactical. I have a couple and they are solid, best ones I have used so far. They are $19.95 on eBay. Comes with a new allen screw, detent ball and spring too.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/174633693165?hash=item28a8faafed:g:0ysAAOSw8qNiALqa
You can also buy them directly from Rowe Tactical, but they are $10 more on their website.

Thanks, TC. I'll check out the e-bay option. I would have been willing to work with NDZ, especially since I would like to install a more obvious follower for visual clearing and I like their offerings. But they've been really difficult to work with both through Amazon, and when I contacted them directly.

Out of curiosity, did you get the gun new or used? I ask as to whether you got the original cardboard box with the gun. That will have the model name/number/sticker on it.

If it's not a shockwave, and that's what I was wanting, I'd be a little miffed.

But at the same time, having an 18 inch barrel is peachy too because you can install an actual buttstock or pistol grip either one. I much prefer shooting with a stock. So, there's always that. If you're making lemonade out of lemons, I'd add a buttstock.

You are correct. There is no difference in the safety between the 500 or 590. The mossberg maverick 88 (which also came with a pistol grip and an 18 inch barrel) has the cross slide safety through the fire control group. But since you said you used the NDZ, we both know that's not the case.

There has also been cruiser and JIC models of the 500 that had 18 inch barrels and pistol grips too.

The gun was purchased new. And it was definitely a shockwave. I simply had no idea that there were other barrel lengths. I could make a stink about it, but I think this one was on me.

The way forward: buy or trade for a 14" barrel, or...

What are the legalities of cutting down the barrel?

John will probably be your best source on this. My Shockwave doesn’t say Shockwave anywhere on it. The box it came in came with a disclaimer letter indicating it was a firearm due to the 14” barrel. I don’t recall if the box itself had a barrel length listed. The letter mentioned keeping it with the gun to show its firearm status. I don’t know if Mossberg serial numbers break down to a specific model as a car would, ie, engine, interior, trim packs,etc. But, without proper documentation, I would say that hacking 4 inches off the barrel is a no go. 1831DC26-DAD0-4EE3-B320-692BCEA0EBA1.jpeg

The gun was purchased new. And it was definitely a shockwave.

What does the sticker on the end of the box say? Any way to take a snapshot of it? Minus the serial number of course. I wouldn't ask you to post a serial number online. Some unscrupulous person could get the serial number and report it stolen and essentially steal your gun and you'd be in trouble for being in possession of stolen property.

I'm interested in the model and the barrel info. It's generally written on the sticker.

I’ve not seen the weapon in question, but is anything done to the barrel, modify or replaced, also not going to impact the mag tube? Just curious.

Thanks for weighing in guys. I've run this serial by Mossberg customer service and they confirmed it's the 18" barrel and it's a genuine (though less popular) varient of their Shockwave.

@John A. I don't have the box anymore

@Rodburner I suppose a "benefit" of the rarely spoken of 18" Shockwave is that the capacity is 1 higher.

Someday I'll get a "real" (read: 14" barrel) Shockwave. For now, I'll get a stock and play with this one...

Thanks for weighing in guys. I've run this serial by Mossberg customer service and they confirmed it's the 18" barrel and it's a genuine (though less popular) varient of their Shockwave.

@John A. I don't have the box anymore

@Rodburner I suppose a "benefit" of the rarely spoken of 18" Shockwave is that the capacity is 1 higher.

Someday I'll get a "real" (read: 14" barrel) Shockwave. For now, I'll get a stock and play with this one...
So the factory does have the ability to use the serial number to ascertain a specific variant. All in the name of CYA… lol look on the bright side, with the Opsol adapter you could probably stuff 3 or 4 extra mini shells in there.

I'd get a stock for it too.

I wasn't a big fan of only using a pistol grip. Others don't seem to mind it. I shoot much better with a stock.

FWIW, you can find used stocks at ebay and numrich gun parts and other places if you want to save a few dollars.

So the factory does have the ability to use the serial number to ascertain a specific variant. All in the name of CYA… lol look on the bright side, with the Opsol adapter you could probably stuff 3 or 4 extra mini shells in there.
I have the OpSol in a 500 and my Shockwave. They both are now 8 +1. Well worth $15 or so to run them.

Shame about your old one. I know how tragic that can be.

But, glad you were able to finally get another.

Back