• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Shooting disappointment today....

:cry: :cry:
Well as you know (or may not know) I just brought home my new flex 590 Thursday night along with 12 boxes of federal target shot ammo, ready to tear sh#% up at the target range and break her in today.

Headed there at noon today and I was all excited, ppl were waiting for lanes to shoot as I walked in the range sales area with my new case and gun. A few intimidating stares and onlookers wondering what was in the case as most curious shooters are longing to know when they see such a thing.

As I was waiting in line, the manager knows me and nods his head at me and asks what's in the case, thinking he's interested in my new gun to check it out cuz he knew I was looking for a FLEX 590.
I excitedly say is a flex 590 shotgun!
THEN HE HIT ME WITH THIS: we don't allow shotguns in the range anymore cause a few weeks ago a few kids shot up some lights and a few other things on lanes don't allow shotguns any more until further notice (dam bastards) now my excitement turned to disappointment and lost the urge to shoot there at all. I could of shot my handguns which I had with me but being bummed out, I didn't even bother.

Now I turned my attention to find another shotgun shooting range in the area. Being military I don't know the area that well, but hope to find something soon, I want to shoot her so bad.....this may be wrong but hope someone breaks in to my house to have a reason to shoot her. :lol:

I could go to our man made pond and take a few shots at geese but that might not be the best option :twisted:

Dude....I couldn’t imagine even to wait in line to shoot my gun.......people actually wait in line to shoot their guns? Aren’t there any woods in VA….got a map? Bad enough to have to pay to shoot but wait in line! I would freak if I had to live in some of your guy's conditions

Yeah, I have never shot at a range.

I do shoot with other people sometimes, but it is by choice, and the only line I wait in is if me and my buddies decide to swap guns with each other so we can shoot each others' guns some.

I have even heard that some ranges won't allow steel cased ammo, steel core ammo, rapid fire, more than 1 (or 3) rounds in a mag at a time, etc etc etc.

I am certain that I have shot in a manner that would have me banned from many fine shooting establishments LOL

To me, that would be one very sad existence.

I could even prop open the door and sit in my recliner and shoot if I wanted. But my wife fusses about that because she says it makes the house smell like a pack of firecrackers went off LOL

I bet you've done it :D
:oops: I have shot a 22 from the house (not current house lol) though the screen at a wild cat shitting in the yard...hey, their crafty,got to get em when you can , smoked his ass too....

Welcome to my world fellas. :cry:

Around here we've got a tough combination, lots of shooters and very few places to shoot. There's one range a couple miles from the house, which is nice, but it's run by the state and is always over-crowded. The ticket office opens at 10am on Saturday, 1pm on Sunday and by then there's already a line about fifly people deep. Gets closer to a hundered depending on the hunting season. $5.50 per shooter, per lane for two hours or you can buy a yearly membership for $100 that'll allow you to bypass the line and go stright into the range entrance where they inspect your firearms. The membership earns you a buncha dirty looks from folks wait'n in line. :D You can bring any ammo you like for pistols and rifles. Only real restriction is slugs only for shotguns. They use wooden target stands which don't fair well against shot spread.

The RSOs are commonly referred to as range nazis by most members due to their watching every move shooters make and their tendancy to shut the range down in an instant while singling out individuals and screaming at the top of their lungs. I've got to know them pretty well over the years so they leave me alone, but the fact is they have more than enough reason to be on pins and needles. One guy blew his big toe off two years ago chambering his .45 pointed straight down with his finger on the trigger. Same year another guy shot himself in the stomach trying to clear a jam in a .32acp pocket gun. I've seen a guy look straight down the barrel of his pistol immediately following a misfire and have been strafed by new, excited shooters turning to smile at their boyfriends while pointing a still loaded firearm down the line. It's utter insanity what you see out there sometimes. The RSOs are all volunteers whos only compensation for their time comes from selling collected brass. I've got a lot of respect for those ladies and gentlemen for being out there every weekend.

Here recently they've added closed in screens to the rifle range lanes which only allows for shooting seated at the bench through about a 1 sq. foot window. Apparently there was an incident where a shooter attempting rapid fire lost control of their rifle and the rounds went over the 25' berm striking a house in the distance. Now we all have to shoot seated using a rest or a bipod, even when shoot'n slugs through a shotgun. That's a little uncomfortable to say the least.

The next closest rifle range is 45 minutes away and the only other pistol ranges in town are poorly ventilated indoor spots at gun stores run by testosterone fueled brand snobs. One state of the art indoor rifle/shotgun/pistol range just opened up at a new upscale mega gun store in town, but they seem to only be interested in speaking to you if you're wearing a business suit and a $1000 watch. Last time I was in there was with a friend of mine that wanted to check it out since he's looking to purchase his first firearm. We walked in the store and the employees stopped what they were doing to watch us walk around the store. None of them spoke, just watched. One guy slowly positioned himself between us and the front door, standing there with his arms crossed as if we were about to try a snatch and grab. Needless to say I won't be returning to that place. My only opportunity for independent shooting is at my buddy's farm land that's an hour and a half outside of town. We get out there a couple times a year and spend a few thousand rounds in a couple days. I truly wish there were more places to shoot around here, but unless you own a decent sized piece of land you're SOL. Hickok45 is out just west of town and has an incredible private range set up, but for the rest of us it's slim pickins...

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:

Around here we've got a tough combination, lots of shooters and very few places to shoot. There's one range a couple miles from the house, which is nice, but it's run by the state and is always over-crowded. The ticket office opens at 10am on Saturday, 1pm on Sunday and by then there's already a line about fifly people deep. Gets closer to a hundered depending on the hunting season. $5.50 per shooter, per lane for two hours or you can buy a yearly membership for $100 that'll allow you to bypass the line and go stright into the range entrance where they inspect your firearms. The membership earns you a buncha dirty looks from folks wait'n in line. :D You can bring any ammo you like for pistols and rifles. Only real restriction is slugs only for shotguns. They use wooden target stands which don't fair well against shot spread.

The RSOs are commonly referred to as range nazis by most members due to their watching every move shooters make and their tendancy to shut the range down in an instant while singling out individuals and screaming at the top of their lungs. I've got to know them pretty well over the years so they leave me alone, but the fact is they have more than enough reason to be on pins and needles. One guy blew his big toe off two years ago chambering his .45 pointed straight down with his finger on the trigger. Same year another guy shot himself in the stomach trying to clear a jam in a .32acp pocket gun. I've seen a guy look straight down the barrel of his pistol immediately following a misfire and have been strafed by new, excited shooters turning to smile at their boyfriends while pointing a still loaded firearm down the line. It's utter insanity what you see out there sometimes. The RSOs are all volunteers whos only compensation for their time comes from selling collected brass. I've got a lot of respect for those ladies and gentlemen for being out there every weekend.

Here recently they've added closed in screens to the rifle range lanes which only allows for shooting seated at the bench through about a 1 sq. foot window. Apparently there was an incident where a shooter attempting rapid fire lost control of their rifle and the rounds went over the 25' berm striking a house in the distance. Now we all have to shoot seated using a rest or a bipod, even when shoot'n slugs through a shotgun. That's a little uncomfortable to say the least.

The next closest rifle range is 45 minutes away and the only other pistol ranges in town are poorly ventilated indoor spots at gun stores run by testosterone fueled brand snobs. One state of the art indoor rifle/shotgun/pistol range just opened up at a new upscale mega gun store in town, but they seem to only be interested in speaking to you if you're wearing a business suit and a $1000 watch. Last time I was in there was with a friend of mine that wanted to check it out since he's looking to purchase his first firearm. We walked in the store and the employees stopped what they were doing to watch us walk around the store. None of them spoke, just watched. One guy slowly positioned himself between us and the front door, standing there with his arms crossed as if we were about to try a snatch and grab. Needless to say I won't be returning to that place. My only opportunity for independent shooting is at my buddy's farm land that's an hour and a half outside of town. We get out there a couple times a year and spend a few thousand rounds in a couple days. I truly wish there were more places to shoot around here, but unless you own a decent sized piece of land you're SOL. Hickok45 is out just west of town and has an incredible private range set up, but for the rest of us it's slim pickins...

I also feel your pain. Although not as intense as the way you describe.

I don't wait in lines either and generally stay away from ranges.

You could check for a state website, here its DNR, or ohios department of natural resources. It lists state hunting grounds and places wiith outdoor shotgun ranges. Maybe there is something similar in your state with a public shotgun area? At ours we're limited to birdshot in most cases, but one says "shotgun only" with no other restrictions posted so we've done some slugs there too. Maybe ask the guy at the LGS if he know of any such places.

^ Yup, here it's the TWRA (Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency).

They run the range referenced in my post...

oli700 said:
Dude....I couldn’t imagine even to wait in line to shoot my gun.......people actually wait in line to shoot their guns? Aren’t there any woods in VA….got a map? Bad enough to have to pay to shoot but wait in line! I would freak if I had to live in some of your guy's conditions

unfortunatelly i live in the city limits and shooting a firearm within its confines is frowned upon, not to mention you get unwanted visitors with more guns and flashing lights after ppl complain.....never fails ;)

yes there are woods all over the place here as well, but ppl tend to freak if stangers just show up unannounced with shotguns shooting aimlessly in woods.....dont really know anone here with woods to shoot at! i know my next place will have some property at the least to do as i please.... :p

oli700 said:
I bet you've done it :D
im not admitting anything :twisted: :lol:

oli700 said:
:oops: I have shot a 22 from the house (not current house lol) though the screen at a wild cat shitting in the yard...hey, their crafty,got to get em when you can , smoked his ass too....
:lol: thats funny

Wow! I feel really lucky after reading this. There are tons of sportsmans clubs with ranges around here. I'll probably join one once I'm out of college and figure out exactly where I'll be living perminantly. For now I use a public range operated by the game commission about a half hour drive away, and that's mainly for shooting my rifles. For pistol shooting and clay pidgins along with .22lr plinking I go to an old strip mine a few miles away.

rjpoog1989 said:
Wow! I feel really lucky after reading this. There are tons of sportsmans clubs with ranges around here. I'll probably join one once I'm out of college and figure out exactly where I'll be living perminantly. For now I use a public range operated by the game commission about a half hour drive away, and that's mainly for shooting my rifles. For pistol shooting and clay pidgins along with .22lr plinking I go to an old strip mine a few miles away.

i wanna live by you.......
not so many around here in hampton roads area without driving over an hour or two if you know where its at, from where i live. but there is one within a 15 min drive which apparently now is not shotgun friendly, but i can shoot my handgun all i want there, but thats about it......

Wow Stigmata...I hope you find a place soon so you can scratch that new gun itch. The club/range I belong to has record membership right now and for the first time is considering a limit on members. We don't really have lines. The only thing I find a pain is waiting for everyone to shoot so we can check and change targets. I like one area that I can usually get for me and my son. It's the muzzle loader range but they allow .22 and patterning shotguns there too.

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:

Around here we've got a tough combination, lots of shooters and very few places to shoot.

I truly wish there were more places to shoot around here, but unless you own a decent sized piece of land you're SOL. Hickok45 is out just west of town and has an incredible private range set up, but for the rest of us it's slim pickins...

L.E.S.

i know what you mean now......

i looked into the state own/run ranges and i did find one about 2 hrs away, but i fear for my safety from dumb ass ppl who dont know the 1st thing about safety when it comes to guns..... at least at the gun place i frequent its SAFETY...SAFETY...SAFETY and being military is all we preach when it comes to guns.
i trust myself and my family shooting that i have taught, just not the person next to me, cause you never know about the person next to you, especially at those open run ranges. :?

carbinemike said:
Wow Stigmata...I hope you find a place soon so you can scratch that new gun itch. The club/range I belong to has record membership right now and for the first time is considering a limit on members. We don't really have lines. The only thing I find a pain is waiting for everyone to shoot so we can check and change targets. I like one area that I can usually get for me and my son. It's the muzzle loader range but they allow .22 and patterning shotguns there too.
thanks mike, me too....you just dont know....well, you probably do! :lol: but i need to scratch that itch here soon.

spent $500 on a gun, another $100 on ammo and gun case and its just sitting there in the closet looking pretty :evil:

finally got the whole pic thing to work....

i know i will be shooting her soon......cant wait.
590ampammo_zps05a4d3cd.jpg

nice shotgun!

Around here there are a few million acres of BLM , private logging land and USFS, as long as you have a sensible backstop , you can shoot wherever you want.....no people to bitch usually. My "range" is a 70+ year old 200 yard range/w trap house on private logging company land, first come first serve,bring your own pigeon slinger, build a fire, pick up your trash or join the monthly trash gathering event. 3 years ago I moved to the burbs....about 18 miles away from where I grew up lol....

The indoor range by my house has now disallowed rifles or shotguns unless you buy a membership. Prior to that they changed an extra $10 for them. Shotguns are limited to buck/slugs.

Having seen the ceiling and floor downrange (classes use the whole range), I'm amazed that the place is still functional, you would swear that more people are hitting them than the backstop.

The outdoor range I frequent is a little better but is really muddy if it is the least bit wet and they close at 5 or 6 which limits me to weekends.

State land is best if you can find a good spot.

nice....
thats what im looking for....

say oil700, your location....state of jefferson.
i've herd about that b4 (watch history channel) isnt that by cali somewhere?
just wish it was on the east coast, close to me so id find a place to shoot .... soon.

Back