• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Shooting high right?

Ticker

Copper BB
I just got my first shotgun, a 500 combo, I took it out for the first time with he bird barrel, to practice with some 7&1/2 shot, and rifled slugs. For the shot, I used a full choke at 30 yards, and was patterning about 6" high and 6" right. I switched to a imp cyl choke and rifled slugs, and they were also hitting high right.

Maybe six inches high is normal for 30 yards? The box for the slugs said they drop 2" over 75 yards, so I was expect those to be closer. I had to aim at bottom left corner of the target to hit X's.

I'm also curious about shooting so far to the right. I'm centered on target when I shoot an M1 with iron sights in CMP. I'm not the best shooter in the rifle club, but not worst either.

My 590 is about 4 inches low and right at 75 yards, but it's consistantly low and right and that's what you're really after. With smoothbore shotguns you don't have any rifling to stabalize the projectile... it's the wadding in the shotcup that provides stability in shot. Just continue to patern your shotgun for loads you like, because depending on what brand you're using... it might change the POI.

Back