• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Shotgun Break in period?

Water Monkey

The man, the myth, the monkey
Supporter
Another noob question,

Got my 930 SPX hopefully coming in this week <crosses fingers>. I've been reading up and though it seems to be a small issue as some complain that the shotgun doesn't cycle low brass rounds very well in the intial stages but does seem to cycle very well after it is "broken in".

What ammo is recommend to break this shotgun in? I was thinking putting through a box of 00 buck and some slugs then testing if it will cycle mixed rounds with some bird shot probably 7 1/2.

Am I going about this correctly?

I would grab a few boxes of different high brass loads...mixing it up with bird shot, buck shot and slugs. Also, take a small notebook to make range notes as you test & pattern the different loads...it's half the fun of breaking the shotgun in !

I didn't "break" my 930 in but I did got to the range and shoot close to 500 rounds breaking clays the first weekend I had it. Since then it has eaten and continues to eat anything that I feed it. I agree with SHOOTER13's suggestion though. Have fun with it!

When shooting the low brass loads keep the gun firmly tucked in your shoulder, non of this shooting from the hip stuff. What I love about my 930 SPX is I can go to Wal-Mart and for less than $30.00 pick up a 100 shell box of their Remington low brass loads for what I call my fun shooting.
Let us know how the range went.

usmc1963 said:
When shooting the low brass loads keep the gun firmly tucked in your shoulder, non of this shooting from the hip stuff. What I love about my 930 SPX is I can go to Wal-Mart and for less than $30.00 pick up a 100 shell box of their Remington low brass loads for what I call my fun shooting.

Shot 165 rounds yesterday. 4 feeding jams with high brass. I believe it was the spring or my idiot loading methods which caused the jam. I cleaned it up good and I hope it works itself out. Started firing much better near the end of the ammo. 3 inchers cycled fine with zero problems as did the slugs and the 00 buck. The low brass actually cycled better than the high brass.

scraped my barrel and mag tube up pretty good when shooting the 3 inch high brass rounds. the kick moved my nordic mag clamp down the barrel. Any thoughts on how to fix the scrape? I put some protectant on it to prevent it from rusting.

Water Monkey said:
usmc1963 said:

Shot 165 rounds yesterday. 4 feeding jams with high brass. I believe it was the spring or my idiot loading methods which caused the jam. I cleaned it up good and I hope it works itself out. Started firing much better near the end of the ammo. 3 inchers cycled fine with zero problems as did the slugs and the 00 buck. The low brass actually cycled better than the high brass.

scraped my barrel and mag tube up pretty good when shooting the 3 inch high brass rounds. the kick moved my nordic mag clamp down the barrel. Any thoughts on how to fix the scrape? I put some protectant on it to prevent it from rusting.

I do not have a magazine clamp on my 930 SPX but what I understand is because the newer model 930 SPX have a heavier walled barrel so when ordering the Mag clamp you have to specify 930 SPX with the heavy walled barrel.

Back