• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

SHOTGUN: Holographic/Red Dot Sight Options

^ I've ordered from opticsplanet dozens of times. They're a stand-up retailer with excellent customer service...

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
^ I've ordered from opticsplanet dozens of times. They're a stand-up retailer with excellent customer service...

yes i have used them before. I bought a Truglo red dot from them as well.

Jayta98 said:
I will order from opticsplanet.

I just tried to see what you were talking about by adding to cart & proceeding to check out, I almost bought the thing by accident. Good ole 1-click shopping option is dangerous.

Anyways.. you were saying you will order off of Optics Planet instead, well.. In the process of almost purchasing I noticed that the link you supplied was a link to the sightmark mini being sold by "Optics Planet". I bet it was the faulty one, Optics Planet probably dumps their overflow/outdated products on Amazon & slashes the price to get rid of them in order to make back their cost when a Manufacturer wont take outdated/borderline defective products back.

jimmycrackcorn said:
Jayta98 said:
I will order from opticsplanet.

I just tried to see what you were talking about by adding to cart & proceeding to check out, I almost bought the thing by accident. Good ole 1-click shopping option is dangerous.

Anyways.. you were saying you will order off of Optics Planet instead, well.. In the process of almost purchasing I noticed that the link you supplied was a link to the sightmark mini being sold by "Optics Planet". I bet it was the faulty one, Optics Planet probably dumps their overflow/outdated products on Amazon & slashes the price to get rid of them in order to make back their cost when a Manufacturer wont take outdated/borderline defective products back.

Is possible. It sounds the one I order from Opticplanets.com is the newer style since it has the hi/lo brighness switch.

Ok received the red dot today. It looks good. I have to try it out and see if it holds up. I almost bought a burris fast fire 2 for $150 but the guy never called me back when I was supposed to go pick it up. Oh well.

I finally went to the range and tried the Sightmark sight. My 1st impressions is that is easy to zero in. After It was zero it hold for the rest of the session. I did a total of 40 slugs. I used about 15 to zero it in. The only thing I'm too happy about is the switch cover. The samll piece that comes of in the rear of the sight that houses the switch moves alittle and it look like it is made of plastic. I'm afraid if it gets hit it will break. Other than that is fine. I'm thinking if I keep it or get another bushnell TRS 25.

Here is some pics of me shooting at 20 yrds.
IMGP2607.jpg

Installed on my mossberg 500.
IMGP2609.jpg

IMGP2614.jpg

HAR - you made a face on the target. He!! I'd make a face if you pointed that 500 with the long mag at me too!!! Nice sluggery M8!

mingaa said:
HAR - you made a face on the target. He!! I'd make a face if you pointed that 500 with the long mag at me too!!! Nice sluggery M8!
lol Thanks. I was trying to do the smiley face but the slugs teared the center out. So I made an open mouth face.

Cool! Mine was teeth jarring, rattling in your head, rough with a higher profile sight. I could shoot about 5 rounds before it was too much...

I think the low profile reflex would be great for quick aquisition with 00 buck!

+1 on that Rossi!

My Bro Picked up one of those expensive EO-techs, prolly close to the one LES has. I went to check it out for height reference.. Man it was SWEET! Really nice button configuration, easy to minipulate & a really cool rectical, like a half crosshaired circle w/a dot. MOA seemed a little big for 100+yrds, but thats what a flip up magnifier will fix if I'm not mistaken. I guess the saying is true, you do get what you pay for.. Wish I could run one of those puppies on the SG, but I'm pretty sure it's profile would too high w/out changing stock out to be able to get cheek weld. =(

I been doing research and have found a few things that may be an issue one is that I have heard that some sights the dot will move around in the sight picture with the slightest movement of your head makeing the sight inaccurate. And another is the mention of parallax corection I could not find exactly what this means I an looking at the sightmark mini shot

leverett said:
I been doing research and have found a few things that may be an issue one is that I have heard that some sights the dot will move around in the sight picture with the slightest movement of your head makeing the sight inaccurate. And another is the mention of parallax corection I could not find exactly what this means I an looking at the sightmark mini shot

Parallax is really only a significant factor in telescopic sights.

To put parallax in relative terms, hold your finger out in front of you and cover an object in the distance. Now without moving your finger, close only your left eye, then switch and close only your right eye. From one eye to the other your finger moves relative to the distant object right? Consider this parallax error. It occurs when stationary objects along a singular plane appear to move as the point of view or position of the viewer changes. Now this is literally due to eye dominance and may be an over-simplification, but it draws a correllation to parallax in sights. Due to multiple lenses the parallax error in telescopic sights occurs when the reticle, while focused on an object at a given distance, appears to move off of the target as the shooter moves their eye position relative to the optic's eyepiece and shifts off of the optical axis.

Most reflex red dot sights are considered parallax free due to the single plane on which the reticle is presented. This is only true at "infinity" which is essentially having no distant object for comparison. With a reflex red dot, a degree of parallax error is only introduced as the shooter moves their head away from the weapon's bore axis. This compensated for by keeping the dot reticle in the visual center of the optical window.

In essence when using a reflex red dot sight, once zeroed and the shooter maintains a relatively consistent visual presentation of the reticle, parallax error is removed from the equation...

Back