• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Shotgun lights- forend or tube?

TravisM.1

.270 WIN
What do you guys think the ideal mounting position is, for mounting a light on a shotgun?

With an auto, I'd assume it wouldn't matter.
With a pump gun, you've got to cycle the action.

So, where does the light go? On the forend, where it's subject to movement every time you cycle the action, or on the barrel or mag tube?

I prefer a light mounted in a fixed position as close to flush with the end of the muzzle as possible...

I have mine on the tube, cant stand anything on the forend, I just think I cycle better with a bare forend

oh man, I fell right into that one....but you know its always a good option

With a tube mounted light, do you turn the light on, use your thumb to strobe it, or what?

Personally, I like the idea of a remote/tape switch on something like an AR, or other application where you can secure the cable. I don't think I'd like it on a pump shotgun.

As you can see the paddle is right by the support hand forefinger…..I can’t stand a cord on a pump either lol.Out of the way enough that it dosent tag you on recoil

IMG_1223_zpsfdf64f6a.jpg

IMG_1224_zps3dedd189.jpg

IMG_1227_zpsa433f49f.jpg

I got a UTG barrel mount to mount to my 5 shot tube. It fits perfectly at the end on the tube. The light that I received for christmas had solid light on one click, then strobe on the second click. So far I like it very much. Got to see how the light holds up when I shoot it. It has a push button, or a pressure switch add on.

Frank

Attachments

• Mossy Tactical 500 6.jpg
    Mossy Tactical 500 6.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 627
  • Mossy Tactical 500 3.jpg
    Mossy Tactical 500 3.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 626
LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
I prefer a light mounted in a fixed position as close to flush with the end of the muzzle as possible...
I have mine fixed using an Elzetta mount.

004.jpg

Sent from my DROIDX

I attached my light to the forend. I did this so that I dont have to change my grip on the gun in order to activate the light.
benaja5u.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

travismate said:
I attached my light to the forend. I did this so that I dont have to change my grip on the gun in order to activate the light.
benaja5u.jpg

I really like those INFORCE lights! It keeps everything right where you need it at all times without interfering with other items.

I was going to pull the trigger on one but the output held me back.. I wanted a little more uumphh in the lumens department. I figured like most cutting edge manufacturers they would have something in the works with a higher output like the rest of the Lighting industry, as new tech emerges you upgrade. So, I contacted the manufacturer & applauded them on the design of it. I then asked if they were doing any R&D or planning to upgrade the units to a more powerful, longer runtime led. Then the dude replies & actually got mad at me for insinuating that there is better technology out there that will give you 3times the output & 2 times the run times. Talk about head in the sand. Maybe they consider that info to be guarded technology & though I was trying to spy for a competitor or something... Needless to say, it was a very odd conversation..They do hold GOV contracts so who knows...

Travismate... I know the lower output is better for indoors, how far out will that unit reach outdoors with usable light?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I haven't tried it outside. I will take some comparison pics for you though. Also if you get the one from haley strategic it is 200 lumens.

travismate said:
I haven't tried it outside. I will take some comparison pics for you though. Also if you get the one from haley strategic it is 200 lumens.

Oh no kidding... 200lm.. So there is an upgraded version? I just installed a Surefire for end last night, its 200lm also. Its super comfortable to grip & minipulate BUT... Its soo dn heavy coupled with the A1 bbl. It is nice though, beam profile is awesome with the TIR lense, it really puts the 200lms into a real tight beam & the lights location does away with a lot of the bbl shadow. Weight is only downside.. I'll have to check out that joint you speak of.

Thanks for the heads up bud!

Edit: I meant to ask you... Does the head unscrew/come off & give you access to the emitter/LED?

Sent from my WX435 using Tapatalk 2

Light mounts are like sights on handguns. It's personal taste. What stance you use, grip, barrel length, light type all play a role in your choice. There are no easy answers, just try one to see what you like. My preference is a Surefire x300 ultra mounted on a 15 degree angle on the forend. Or a surefire integrated forearm light. But I only use a light on my short barrels. My stance and arm length is perfect for this setup. I have never had good luck with tube mounts. They always slip during recoil or from impacts from vehicle doors or walls in my testing. Be prepared to spend many hours or testing, tons of money and training to find out what works for you if you are serious.

KentuckyWindage said:
Light mounts are like sights on handguns. It's personal taste. What stance you use, grip, barrel length, light type all play a role in your choice. There are no easy answers, just try one to see what you like. My preference is a Surefire x300 ultra mounted on a 15 degree angle on the forend. Or a surefire integrated forearm light. Be prepared to spend many hours or testing, tons of money and training to find out what works for you if you are serious.

+1

So many variables involved & shit gets pricey real quick for quality stuff!

KW.. I almost picked up that x300 for weight savings & the new upgraded output but always wanted a dedicated forend for ergonomics & beam profile. Thought about an angled offset to help with bbl shadows & manipulating it but, wasn't sure how well it would run on a moving Forend with sling plates & sling to get in the way.

Do you have any pictures of it, I'd like to see the angle on it.

If you ask you shall receive! :mrgreen:

icETEc8pLKjPu.jpg

i3MrODDqzsqCh.jpg

iibNlO9L0V3Xv.jpg

I just took my factory stock and place it on the mill at my desired angle and milled a flat for the picitinny rail to mount. Best part is I didn't spend 89.99 for a GG&G forend that places the mount at 90 degrees that adds too much profile to the weapon.

iVSASh75ZJxzl.jpg

i9A36Mnw4iI9U.jpg

ixnw0MJSBUe8C.jpg

Back