• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Shotgun lights- forend or tube?

KentuckyWindage said:
old mossy said:
dam KW you've done it again.great job!
p.s. nice chair. :D
Lol thanks man it was my chair when I was a child. Its makes a perfect shotgun rack :mrgreen:

Looks great... ALMOST professional...:razz::razz: Im playing.. Looks legit!! I like how its nice & close to the end of the SB. Probably almost no barrel shadow, huh?

Haha.. I was going to mention something about your chair & its cameos in all your shoots..:lol::lol:

Im totally jealous or your on demand tool availability. I just had to pay a machinist to do stuff i know i could do myself if i had the tools on hand. (EDIT: Actually id probably screw the radius all up so im glad i payed)I had him mill the underside of Vang Comps Optical Rail to fit the contour of a Mossberg. Straight from Vang the will not sit flush & tight on my 590A1. The milling helped but it still isn't perfect, it only cost me $30 though for an hour of his time. While i was in their shop I also thought about milling the stock forend like that so i could have rails where i want them instead of the cliché/awkward 90degrees but i wasn't sure if the plastic would just end up melting. Good to know i can do this in the future!!! Light weight ya know!!

Oh hey one more question.. Seeing how big that "big dot" is, does it still glow when you activate the light or does the surefire over power it like it does to my Trak-Lock tritium?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

jimmycrackcorn said:
KentuckyWindage said:
old mossy said:
dam KW you've done it again.great job!
p.s. nice chair. :D
Lol thanks man it was my chair when I was a child. Its makes a perfect shotgun rack :mrgreen:

Looks great... ALMOST professional...:razz::razz: Im playing.. Looks legit!! I like how its nice & close to the end of the SB. Probably almost no barrel shadow, huh?

Haha.. I was going to mention something about your chair & its cameos in all your shoots..:lol::lol:

Im totally jealous or your on demand tool availability. I just had to pay a machinist to do stuff i know i could do myself if i had the tools on hand. (EDIT: Actually id probably screw the radius all up so im glad i payed)I had him mill the underside of Vang Comps Optical Rail to fit the contour of a Mossberg. Straight from Vang the will not sit flush & tight on my 590A1. The milling helped but it still isn't perfect, it only cost me $30 though for an hour of his time. While i was in their shop I also thought about milling the stock forend like that so i could have rails where i want them instead of the cliché/awkward 90degrees but i wasn't sure if the plastic would just end up melting. Good to know i can do this in the future!!! Light weight ya know!!

Oh hey one more question.. Seeing how big that "big dot" is, does it still glow when you activate the light or does the surefire over power it like it does to my Trak-Lock tritium?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

There is no shadow from the barrel. That poor chair has been threw hell and back.... I love that damn thing! That sucks about vanguard stuff I would make a call to Mr Vang, not his son and let him know about the rail. Maching plastic is very easy, just control your material temp and take your time. De-burring sucks but its part of it. 90 degree light mounts are very award in my opinion. I can never get used to that location. My thumb hurt just thinking about it. The XS big dot is very bright when the light is activated. The tritium is visible and clear, But this is with my barrel And light combo. this might not be the case on a 18.5 or a 20". Hope that help, if you have anymore questions feel free to ask. :cool:

KW, would you be interested in doing a few more? I know if you were willing to do it again I'd be totally down for dropping my forend and a money order into a box to mail your way. The money order would be whatever you felt was fair to cover your time invovled machining it and for return postage back to me. I'm sure others would be interested as well. Just how long did it take you to do it?

If your not interested no worries. I keep holding off because I wanted to originally get the GG&G one too but damn that is a lot of cash. Plus I like that yours is more like 10 to 11 o clock instead of the standard 9 or 3 o clock positions too.

Let us know if you were interested in doing a few more.

I went with a tube mount so it lines up directly with the barrel. The light I use has a fairly focused center spot with plenty of surrounding flood to light everything up. It provides a quick way to aim if I don't have time to line up perfectly with the bead site.

As with all of my other purchases for my budget-build HD shotgun, I went with the best bang for the buck (low budget). Once I get my Hogue forend and 3 Gun Gear side saddle I'll be done and will post pics. Anyway, this is the light and mount I got:

5598 NEBO PROTEC Universal Long Gun Light Mount ($16 delivered)
Techlite Lumen Master 250-Lumen CREE XPG-R4 LED Tactical Flashlight ($5.30 out the door)

I've fired 75 rounds of low-recoil 00-buck with this setup and am happy to report the mount did not move and the light still worked when I got home. (Whew!) Note, these mounts do tend to move forward due to recoil. That is why I mounted mine on the tube as far forward as it would go. It sits right up against the spot where the barrel is connected to the tube on my 18.5" security model. With that placement it is not susceptible to movement from recoil. Again, I'll post some pics of everything when the budget build is completed.

I have a Streamlight Polytac LED light on a GG&G rail mount on the barrel heat shield.

umyqebyd.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Do you like it so far? Been looking at picatinny tried rails that Mount on the tube those worth the money?

rdm76mav88 said:
Do you like it so far? Been looking at picatinny tried rails that Mount on the tube those worth the money?

So far no complaints. My rails are mounted on bracket that holds the heat shield to the barrel. The position of the rail is the centerline between the barrel and mag tube.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Back