• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Shotgun newbie with a problem ...

Took possession of my Model 500 today and the slide seems to be locked. The slide was in the forward position. I depressed the slide lock lever and pulled the slide back, now I'm unable to push the slide forward.

The first pic below shows the slide in the pulled back position and the second pic shows the slide lock lever. If I try really hard to push the slide forward it will eventually free up and move forward. When I depress the slide release and pull it back it becomes stuck again. Am I doing something wrong?

Dave

Well, I tapped the butt of the gun against a rubber mat on the floor a few times and now it seems to work fine.

Dave

Welcome to the Mossberg Owners Forum Dave !!

I'll add that trick to my book of stuck slide remedies...

Yep - definitely want to disassemble and clean this gun. I found a couple of YouTube videos that look like they will help me as this is the first long gun I have ever owned.

Dave

Yea...just because it's new doesn't mean it ain't dirty...

What they said^^^^^^... Take it down, clean and inspect. This will help you to see how it works, as well. Banging the stock down is not an "approved" repair procedure... :rolleyes: ;)

Take it apart and carefully look at all the parts and look for any signs of rubbing or scratches or other marks or damage.
make sure each part fits and operates smoothly. Use some oil to help with things. Then see how it goes. And please keep us posted on what you find.

Welcome from MI!!

Clean it good, Mossberg likes to put a lot of grease in their guns so the first step is generally to give it a good scrubbing to get rid of all of it and then use a thinner oil to keep it running.

Awesome to hear david. I remember my first mossy outing. Wow what a big smile I had on my face.
I'll see if I can find that video and put it up.

Back