• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Shotgun Stippling

Evening all,

I've been working on small projects here now with stippling, and am considering doing some work on my 930, anyone out there have a lot of experience stippling? What do you use, a soldering iron or wood burning kit? Some of people's work is just unreal, one thing I haven't figured out is how they get sharp crisp lines and boarders. I would love to see pictures of your work! Don't think there is a stippling forum yet, couldn't find one so let's get one going.

Last edited:
DSC_0174.JPG

Not a shotgun but my own stippling work. Really it just takes patience and a steady hand. I did use a soldering iron for this one, but have bought a wood burning kit later on to do different guns. I like the G19 but hated the finger grooves, so I just decided one day to dremmel them off and go with this light stipple. Using a sharp point makes the stippling shallow and not too rough, which I liked. If you have a piece of plastic to practice on I would do that first before starting on your 930.

View attachment 10886

Not a shotgun but my own stippling work. Really it just takes patience and a steady hand. I did use a soldering iron for this one, but have bought a wood burning kit later on to do different guns. I like the G19 but hated the finger grooves, so I just decided one day to dremmel them off and go with this light stipple. Using a sharp point makes the stippling shallow and not too rough, which I liked. If you have a piece of plastic to practice on I would do that first before starting on your 930.

Looks great! I used an soldering iron on my magpul iphone case and it only had one tip so the holes are bigger and more aggressive to the touch. Will have to get some things to practice on before I even get close to my 930 with it. Thanks for posting!

On wood, I have used a dremel with a small diamond point bit on it.

Granted, I have only done it once.

Not a shotgun but...

GlockStippling_001.jpg

GlockStippling_002.jpg

GlockStippling_003.jpg

GlockStippling_004.jpg

I used a soldering iron with a pointy tip.

Be carefull it';s easy to make it too rough and it WILL wear on you after several shots. I actually had to sand mine a bit and it still eats my clothes when I carry it.

Is your 930 a synthetic stock Or wood?

Ah...never mind. I just looked. Sorry man haven't done synthetic stippling before. But lemme look around and see what useful info i can pass on to ya...

Start it at 3:04 to hear his tips and info...

Start at 5:53 for his info...I like this pattern...

Saw these before! Thank you for linking them though! I did extensive research and also took my time finding "THE RIGHT" tools to do it as well as save MANY MANY photos of other people's work onto my computer to refer to. I went with a slight variation of the Salient Arms International Mossberg 930, since my shotgun is infact a 930. Tonight I finished the synthetic stock and I am BEYOND happy with the results. Started sanding down the forend handguard for a smooth surface to work with and I'll post everything when I'm finished. Stay tuned ya'll!

Last edited:
As with most artwork, the best results come from fresh canvas or materials, this was no different. Tools I used for this project were: Pencil, Dremel, Sandpaper, Respiration Mask, Woodburning Kit with multiple tips, and House of Cards - A Netflix Original

My first step was to sift through the internet and find a shotgun grip I liked, then draw it out. Screen Shot 2016-02-25 at 6.03.12 PM.png

Next a dremel to save a little time eliminating the factory "grip," followed by 150 grit sandpaper to tidey up and provide an even surface to work with. When using the dremel, use a slower speed rather than a faster speed, with the faster speed mistakes happen faster also!
Screen Shot 2016-02-25 at 10.26.59 PM.png

I am sorry I didn't take many pictures of the stock getting worked on, got into the swing of it and just keep going.

Last edited:
Here is the end result of the stock on my JMPro
Screen Shot 2016-02-25 at 10.42.55 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-02-25 at 10.43.54 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-02-25 at 10.45.03 PM.png

After the stock was finish, and about 3.5 episodes of "House of Cards" later I started prep work on the forend and left the rest for another day.
Screen Shot 2016-02-25 at 10.48.05 PM.png

Now originally I stated that I wanted to replicate the Salient Arms International Mossberg 930 grip work, but last minute I went with a little more surface area than they do, but still leaving it looking neat and clean at least in my opinion anyway. Special attention needs to be taken when working on the forend as it is significantly thinner than the stock mainly when you get to the top section of the forend. Stippling too deep will poke holes all they way through and possibly lead to cracking down the road when operating your weapon system.

What you're going to want to do now, and this goes for the grip also I might add, is draw our your section you want stippled, and then tape it off. This just helps make your edges crisp and visually easier to follow. Also, if you don't have a dremel I highly suggest going and purchasing one, they're relatively cheap and will save you a lot of time.
Screen Shot 2016-02-25 at 11.11.49 PM.png

Do your best to make all surfaces equal and flush, the more flush they are to one another, the better your results will be. Mine still could've used more sanding so take your time.
Screen Shot 2016-02-25 at 11.16.05 PM.png

My goal was to make the stock and forend look as close as possible, and I thought I did that, but this wasn't the case and luckily I was able to go back over it after already completing it. This is the FIRST time I went over the forend with more of a randomized approach, a little spaces between stipples.
Screen Shot 2016-02-25 at 11.18.22 PM.png

Here the small spaces are little more visible, it doesn't look like much space between them but in the picture to follow you'll see. (I'll show the tip I used later)
Screen Shot 2016-02-25 at 11.21.18 PM.png

Here is a close-up of what I'm talking about, This wouldn't have looked bad at all if the stock was done with the same technique. But I'm one that has to have everything perfect or "close to" perfect. So I went through the whole thing and stippled all the spaces......
Screen Shot 2016-02-25 at 11.22.55 PM.png

I apologize for the lighting in the following two photos, night time was upon us and all I really need was the light on the table in front of me to work. Here is the forend after all the spaces were stippled.
Screen Shot 2016-02-25 at 11.25.19 PM.png

Photo limit for this one, Part 3 to follow. . .

Last edited:
Part 3

Here is the last one before it went back on the shotgun. Satisfied with it, but not AS thrilled as I was with the outcome of the grip on the stock.
Screen Shot 2016-02-25 at 11.27.03 PM.png
AND the final product!
Untitled.jpg
Screen Shot 2016-02-25 at 11.35.51 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-02-25 at 11.37.43 PM.png
Now all that is left is an 18.5inch barrel for HD and she'll be multi-role ready!
Screen Shot 2016-02-25 at 11.38.49 PM.png

And because I was asking around on multiple sites what to use to do the stipple work, a picture of my woodburning kit that I purchased at Michaels Arts and Crafts store. The actual iron can be seen in a previous photo. Below, the tip that was used as well as the temperature control. This tip gave me a point that wasn't too fine, and yet in a way would prevent me from going too deep.
Screen Shot 2016-02-25 at 11.44.23 PM.png
I was EXTREMELY picky when it came to a iron. Had to come with multiple tips, and ESPECIALLY a temperature control. Again I found this whole kit at Michaels and it didn't run me over 30 dollars. Well ok I lied, I bought even more extra tips, but without those you can walk out with a great iron under 30! You probably have noticed I have two marks on my temp dial. The first one was one that simply would heat polymer enough to rough it up (You'll see in my bonus pic!) and the very faint pencil mark is actually the UPPER limit for use on my synthetic stock. I using my infrared temp gun and the start of the gold arch was at 175˚-190˚ and the pencil line just about 215˚.
Screen Shot 2016-02-25 at 11.45.56 PM.png

Bonus picture!

Used the pen mark on my Temp control to scuff up the factory "grip" on my Glock 23

Screen Shot 2016-02-25 at 11.53.43 PM.png

Hope you guys enjoyed, let me know if you have questions, comments or concerns. And, let me know if I can be any assistance! Off to my next project, working with Kydex.

So long!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-02-25 at 11.30.10 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-02-25 at 11.30.10 PM.png
    719.8 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Back