• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Show me your scope setups

BowerR64

.270 WIN
Post your scopes on your mossberg and or rifles. Ide like to see how yours are setup i must be doing somethign wrong.

Ive installed a few scopes lately and im not having any luck getting them to look right on my guns.

What i mean is if i put them on where they look good i have to kink my neck and get in a very uncomfortable position to get a good field of view down the scope.

If i put em on where they work great when i quickly bring the gun up to sight it in where it feels natural and comfortable it looks goofy on the gun.

What gives? :?:

Okay I'll bite. Works vs looks for a scope. No brainer. Mount it where it works unless you are planning to frame your gun and hang it on the wall.

Sure aesthetics matter but in many areas function takes the lead. Period.

If you have details about height, eye relief, cheek weld, etc that you want to discuss lay it out. :geek:

mingaa said:
If you have details about height, eye relief, cheek weld, etc that you want to discuss lay it out. :geek:

lol, i dont even know what any of that means.

Well i want function but when i look at everyone else setup i see their scopes more centered on the top of the rail then mine.How is everyone else getting theirs to work?

Shooting a gun is not a fashion show. Use it the way it works, not the way it looks. If you are looking to make it a fashion statement go use a paintball marker.

**edit
I'm not trying to be harsh, but now that I read it after it was posted, it might come across that way. It was not my intention.

Cheek Weld: how to position your head on the rifle when lining up the sights for a shot. A cheek weld is basically the SINGLE LOCATION you come back to every time you lay your face down on the butt stock. In order to become a great shooter, you’ll learn that consistency and repetition in movement and technique are completely essential. Finding the right cheek weld every time will ensure that you are able to get on your target quickly and accurately.

Eye Relief: Eye relief is the distance your eye must be from the ocular lens and still get a full field of view.

Other scope related definitions:
http://www.opticsplanet.com/riflescope-glossary.html#06

I'll plus one on the advice of the others. Make it work good for you first and foremost.

ripjack13 said:
Shooting a gun is not a fashion show. Use it the way it works, not the way it looks. If you are looking to make it a fashion statement go use a paintball marker.

**edit
I'm not trying to be harsh, but now that I read it after it was posted, it might come across that way. It was not my intention.

I know i know but it makes me wonder if im doing something wrong.

If i do a simple google search for S&W M&P 15-22 scope i dont see anyone else mounting their scope so far back as all mine and it makes me wonder why mine appear to look so goofy. Even my older .22 rifles are mounted so far back its near end rail and slid to the end fo the scope housing.

I would take a guess and say it is cuz of your eyesight of picture. When you see something that's clear to you the next guy might find it blurry. Do you wear glasses or contacts? That could be one reason. Either way...make the scope work for what you seelooking at it down the scope clear. That's all that matters. Looks are secondary. You want performace first.....

Maybe it isnt as goofy looking as i think. It just seems mine are WAY back almost over the butt stock and others i see are more in the center over the receiver.

Mossberg715Tscopemount_zps5e87aa3d.jpg

Both of mine seem way back, the mossberg is back as far as i can get it and i still need to move my head up to get the best field of view threw it.

The M&P is a little better, i can quickly brig it up and get a nice sight image without moving my head back and for to get the best image threw it.

Maybe better scopes are better with this then the cheap walmart ones?

I could move the scope on the mossberg back a little more if i put both rings infront of the adjustment tubes but i think it will hurt stability and accuracy that way.

BowerR64 said:
Maybe it isnt as goofy looking as i think. It just seems mine are WAY back almost over the butt stock and others i see are more in the center over the receiver.

Mossberg715Tscopemount_zps5e87aa3d.jpg

Both of mine seem way back, the mossberg is back as far as i can get it and i still need to move my head up to get the best field of view threw it.

The M&P is a little better, i can quickly brig it up and get a nice sight image without moving my head back and for to get the best image threw it.

Maybe better scopes are better with this then the cheap walmart ones?

I could move the scope on the mossberg back a little more if i put both rings infront of the adjustment tubes but i think it will hurt stability and accuracy that way.

I'm in the same boat, it is a factor of optic length.

How tall are you? are you 6'-4" like me maybe that has something to do with it? long arms?

Look at these goofy looking things. :lol:

Old22scopes_zpsa034dfc7.jpg

If you are shooting it as shown in the photo with the stock not extended out at all then yes, it looks strange. If you are shooting it as shown, is the end of the stock against your upper chest? If yes, then your arms must not be extended much at all. I'm 5-6 and I don't think I could shoot it well as shown in the pics, but that's me. It still all comes down to are you comfortable and as accurate as can be with how it's set up.

Yeah i extend it all the way out on the carbines, the traditional .22 rifles i shoot as you see them.

They are only comfortable with the stocks fully extended. With them in i get to close to the scope and it seems cramped and unsupported.

So do they look fine? Do you see anything im doing wrong?

need help sighting in my scope on my 715 i have the one with the carry handle i heard some put a wedge under the rear mount if
so what did you use thanks for the help :?

I have a scope mount question...
How do you guys keep the scope mount from moving in the carry handle?
I noticed that my scope moves often. And i need to adjust it often.which is annoying.
Any ideas?

I have 12 of these 30mm tube LRX recital 4 X 16 X 50 lockable resettable TT comes with a 4 inch sun shade the bad thing is they do not make this scope there are a few still out there but they want to much for them now

Back