• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Sierra Tipped MatchKing

Some shooters are not interested in shooting rifles (even with scoped optics) out to 600 yards.

Does that make them less of a shooter if they perform well in a different shooting environment?

Don't know, personally I am interested in all of it.

I think any person who calls themselves a shooter would be. If they only like a little piece of shooting than more power to them

I don't know what makes a person any more of a shooter than the next guy, but I do know what makes a person more of a talker than a shooter

Like just buying crap (even good equipment) and not actually using it, or being brand new to the game but with an interest to learn (talking) but hasn't the experiences yet?

Don't know, personally I am interested in all of it.

I think any person who calls themselves a shooter would be. If they only like a little piece of shooting than more power to them

I know what you mean, I think. I could be compartmentalized by being just a competitive Trap Shooter but not be a well-rounded shooter in other environments right?

Or be really great with a handgun but suck large on a rifle range beyond simple short distances.

Or be like those F-Class shooters you met (amazing people from the way you described them) and they might not have time for other parts of the whole shooting menu.

But what exactly do you mean about just talking?

Of course not. We were all there "once upon a time".

but I do know what makes a person more of a talker than a shooter

It's your thread, pard. I'm just trying to understand this part of it.

Maybe I should not derail it and we can get back on the Tipped Sierra bullets theme, right?

I only wish I could be able to shoot at several hundred yards away and I respect those that can and do regularly. But there is not anywhere like that around here.

At least not safely.

Sure, there are some old strip mine roads where you could stretch it out, but then you run the risk of a four wheeler coming around a curve and into the line of fire, so....

I think the longest and flattest (safe) shot I know of around here is maybe about 320 or so yards.

So all my shooting is done pretty close in. And to be honest, I've always been more interested and active at close distances and thoroughly enjoy fast pace close in shooting like 3 gun.

And up close home defensive distance shooting really gets me going especially with multiple targets.

but I guess that hunting is where I get my greatest satisfaction. I'm just as content with a rifle, a crossbow or whatever.

To me, hunting is more of a challenge than shooting targets.

I only shoot at targets to keep myself in practice for the "real" shots.

I'm sure I'd get skunked by those that have experience at shooting targets at long range. No doubt in my mind.

There are still many who aren't into long range, or not into handguns, or not into shotguns or whatever. Ours is probably the most diverse "sport" there is. (I'm hesitant at using the word sport, but from a lack of better explanation).

Like most of the other guys here, I'm interested in about all of it and I do recognize the amount of work and dedication it takes to get really good at anything.

Just different strokes I guess.

Of course not. We were all there "once upon a time".

It's your thread, pard. I'm just trying to understand this part of it.

Maybe I should not derail it and we can get back on the Tipped Sierra bullets theme, right?

Not really sure why your so puzzled, not writing in code here. Take it for face value.

Derail, don't care . It's the Internet , talk away.

I only wish I could be able to shoot at several hundred yards away and I respect those that can and do regularly. But there is not anywhere like that around here.

At least not safely.

Sure, there are some old strip mine roads where you could stretch it out, but then you run the risk of a four wheeler coming around a curve and into the line of fire, so....

I think the longest and flattest (safe) shot I know of around here is maybe about 320 or so yards.

So all my shooting is done pretty close in. And to be honest, I've always been more interested and active at close distances and thoroughly enjoy fast pace close in shooting like 3 gun.

And up close home defensive distance shooting really gets me going especially with multiple targets.

but I guess that hunting is where I get my greatest satisfaction. I'm just as content with a rifle, a crossbow or whatever.

To me, hunting is more of a challenge than shooting targets.

I only shoot at targets to keep myself in practice for the "real" shots.

I'm sure I'd get skunked by those that have experience at shooting targets at long range. No doubt in my mind.

There are still many who aren't into long range, or not into handguns, or not into shotguns or whatever. Ours is probably the most diverse "sport" there is. (I'm hesitant at using the word sport, but from a lack of better explanation).

Like most of the other guys here, I'm interested in about all of it and I do recognize the amount of work and dedication it takes to get really good at anything.

Just different strokes I guess.

Yeah, I like it all......and do it all.

Hunting, lately not so much but I probably am giving some disease a run for death toll

Close in.....I build my own barriers and targets. Far out.....do that too

Your just as likely to find me shooting an octagon barrel 30-30 as an high cap handgun.

I burn lunch times chrono 1960's Blackhawk one day and an AR 15 the next day.

One day I fixed a Savage A6 and turned around to barrel an AR 10

I will reload home cast 00 buck 12 ga.....but I like shooting clays

I am only limited by what I can't buy , and that is a lot

I like doing more with less though, and have outdone many with more

And I think you proved my point.

Most of us appreciate all aspects of shooting.

My interest goes in waves. At the moment I'm fascinated with the process of reloading, making my own accurate reliable ammo, and matching it to a firearm for better than average accuracy. Once this phase passes I may get real into trap, I used to hunt every weekend, almost year round. Sadly I don't have the time or places that I used too. I'm just fortunate to have a place that i can make my attempt at long range accuracy.

And I think you proved my point.

Most of us appreciate all aspects of shooting.

Oh yeah, I appreciate it and respect it so much, if I see someone do it I got to do it too.
Even if I suck at it , I like trying and improving.

I have found that it is a skill that needs to be honed at every oportunity......I know people have different priorities but this is one of mine
Just like working out, set it down for a while and you practically have to start all over

If it shoots a projectile , I like to be good at it......side by side coach or an SKS.....its ALL good, plastic,wood,stainless,titanium,colt,winchester,carbon fiber,duracoat , single shot, 50 round mag

Don't understand how anyone can limit themselves from something because of the perception of how it is viewed....Tacticool.....about as stupid as it gets. How can something be tacticool.
It's not the object it's the user, I've seen and own what would be coined as tacticool, but it will outperform any " practicool " choice......but it's made fun of by people who limit themselves.

Walk the walk I say, run what you brung, run it well.

c31d9439998d46ea08ff6a8ef0b2416a.jpg

40 rounds made up. 5 each from 22 to 24.9 grains of RL15. Lyman manual listed max as 24.5 I will be watching closely for pressure signs, and will pull down if necessary. All loaded 2.260. Might get to shoot tomorrow evening, weather permitting. All will be shot across the chrono.

c31d9439998d46ea08ff6a8ef0b2416a.jpg

40 rounds made up. 5 each from 22 to 24.9 grains of RL15. Lyman manual listed max as 24.5 I will be watching closely for pressure signs, and will pull down if necessary. All loaded 2.260. Might get to shoot tomorrow evening, weather permitting. All will be shot across the chrono.

Sounds like a great plan. Of course, OAL tweaks might even come into play later in your game, but that is mostly (but not always) for the most dedicated accuracy striven shooters.

That Hornady One-Shot is some pretty good stuff, ain't it????

Funny, I only use the word "ain't" in my written vocab and never in my spoken words.... ;-)

Actually I don't use the one shot that often. It works well, but I generally use lanolin isopropyl alcohol mix. I just don't care to spend 10 bucks a can for Hornady.

one shot goes so far for me. I just put bunch of brass in a gallon bag and put a couple squirts in mix it around a couple times. Haven't had a stuck case since and the juice goes a ton further

c3b82e1360064c88e2c8be88a7d3e58e.jpg

f745fbe8d5857e9e5aab6c5912999a7f.jpg

Not the best pictures, but they still tell the story better. 100 yards, prone, 12-15 wind from 10-11 o'clock. about 68 degrees. No heat rise that I could see. Charge weight and 5 shot average velocity on target.

What the hell is it with 24 grains and 223/556......if there are ever any questions you can pretty much fall back on 24 grains of whatever

How do you feel about the bullets ?

I mean when I was working up 77,69 I was seriously freaking out because I couldn't get better groups than my best 55 gr load. I took them past 300 and then seen the magic of the long bullet ......even the best 55 gr load opened up some

Doesn't look like the wind affected you placement, or groups ......but I guess at 100 it's not going to show that much, but 15 is no little wind even at 100 with a 22 cal

Aught to blow up a couple milk jugs too

Back