• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Simply awful performance from 930 with all the OR3GUN upgrades - HELP!

JCinPA

.270 WIN
I am so disappointed! I was super excited after seeing the TFB TV test of the Mossberg 940, and all the videos of 930 owners after the OR3GUN mods and their perfectly functioning guns.

I've installed the OR3GUN Multi use Marine Spacer Tube, and the Competition CSP/ASR set, and had hoped for perfect function. One thing I did was set the ASR to +5% because the CSR is -10%, attempting to be closer to manufacturer specification. Maybe I should back the ASR out one notch and try again, any thoughts? That's the only reason I can think of. The MST is to prevent moisture retention and crudding up inside the tube, as I understand it. I may need a full 10% reduction in spring rate or I won't get reliability I need? Oh, and I bought a boron nitride coated piston from Mossberg, though it was likely not needed.

Notes from the shoot test with about 200 rounds of 1145 fps and 1200 fps target rounds, and various full power buckshot and slugs and the Federal LE low recoil 00 Buckshot LE13200, are below. For the most part all the 1200 fps target rounds and heavier stuff all worked. The LE132 all worked. It was when using Herter's (Cabela brand) and Winchester 1145 or 1150 fps target loads mixed with the others that I had issues. Like the TFB TV guys, I loaded all sorts of stuff all mixed up and had issues only around the really light loads, either before or after, except for one 1200 fps target round FTE in a load of all 5 the same round.

- Around 30 rounds in slug failed to feed after slow target round
- A few rounds later a slow target failed to eject
- About 70 rounds in a Herter's (1150 fps) FTE, last of 5 shots
- About 80 round in the 3rd Herter's in 5 of same FTE
- About 90 rounds in a Winchester super target FTE right after a slug round
- About 100 rounds in slug FTF after a target round
- About 125 in target FTF after LE132 buck round
- About 150 in another Winchester super target failed to load

Eight failures in about 200 rounds, a 4% failure rate. My plan, as I said, is to move the ASR out one notch, clean thoroughly and try again. Any other thoughts from you gurus?

Last edited:
I am so disappointed! I was super excited after seeing the TFB TV test of the Mossberg 940, and all the videos of 930 owners after the OR3GUN mods and their perfectly functioning guns.

I've installed the OR3GUN Multi use Marine Spacer Tube, and the Competition CSR/ASR set, and had hoped for perfect function. One thing I did was set the ASR to +5% because the CSR is -10%, attempting to be closer to manufacturer specification. Maybe I should back the ASR out one notch and try again, any thoughts? That's the only reason I can think of. The MST is to prevent moisture retention and crudding up inside the tube, as I understand it. I may need a full 10% reduction in spring rate or I won't get reliability I need? Oh, and I bought a boron nitride coated piston from Mossberg, though it was likely not needed.

Notes from the shoot test with about 200 rounds of 1145 fps and 1200 fps target rounds, and various full power buckshot and slugs and the Federal LE low recoil 00 Buckshot LE13200, are below. For the most part all the 1200 fps target rounds and heavier stuff all worked. The LE132 all worked. It was when using Herter's (Cabela brand) and Winchester 1145 or 1150 fps target loads mixed with the others that I had issues. Like the TFB TV guys, I loaded all sorts of stuff all mixed up and had issues only around the really light loads, either before or after, except for one 1200 fps target round FTE in a load of all 5 the same round.

- Around 30 rounds in slug failed to feed after slow target round
- A few rounds later a slow target failed to eject
- About 70 rounds in a Herter's (1150 fps) FTE, last of 5 shots
- About 80 round in the 3rd Herter's in 5 of same FTE
- About 90 rounds in a Winchester super target FTE right after a slug round
- About 100 rounds in slug FTF after a target round
- About 125 in target FTF after LE132 buck round
- About 150 in another Winchester super target failed to load

Eight failures in about 200 rounds, a 4% failure rate. My plan, as I said, is to move the ASR out one notch, clean thoroughly and try again. Any other thoughts from you gurus?
dump the csr set then try the shotgun

Sorry, my bad, I said CSR, it's CSP, competition spring plunger (corrected now). And no, I don't want to dump that, the CSP reduces the spring rate by 10% over stock, which I understand is why it begins to cycle reliably with low-velocity loads. I worked against that 10% reduction with the ASR.

If I move the ASR to the factory position, I should get the full 10% spring rate reduction. That's my plan. Would love to see @OR3GUN or others who use his products comment here. I cannot think of any other reason this might happen, given the success everyone has with their products.

Thanks for the post, still waiting for other replies.

How did everything work prior to "upgrades"? Was the stock gun showing need for improvement?

Sorry, my bad, I said CSR, it's CSP, competition spring plunger (corrected now). And no, I don't want to dump that, the CSP reduces the spring rate by 10% over stock, which I understand is why it begins to cycle reliably with low-velocity loads. I worked against that 10% reduction with the ASR.

If I move the ASR to the factory position, I should get the full 10% spring rate reduction. That's my plan. Would love to see @OR3GUN or others who use his products comment here. I cannot think of any other reason this might happen, given the success everyone has with their products.

Thanks for the post, still waiting for other replies.
I would take off the csp and the asr and see what happens. fooling around with spring tension is tricky and might make more problems. when you got the gun you could lock the bolt back for a month that would reduce spring tension and work better for low velocity loads without adding other kits

It was. I had a few failures with Federal LE132 (which we've discussed elsewhere, Nitesite) but these fixes solved that issue. My issues now seem to be around the really light loads, especially when mixed with hotter loads in one magazine dump.

Based on the TFB TV testing of the 940 and the many happy results of the OR3GUN product users, I'm really suspecting I did not help myself using the ASR to work against the CSP. I will rectify that, get some more Herter's loads and try again. But am interested to see what OR3GUN says and what experiences others have had.

Refresh my memory which 930 model you're running?

The 18" variants (SPX, Security) are gassed & sprung differently than the longer barrel models and can take some extra effort to get reliably running light loads. If you've got one of these, you do need to use the reduced spring rates on the or3gun setup, and you may also need to check/hone the chamber for good extraction of the crappy cheap plastic hulls. Some earlier SPX's also had burrs in the gas recoil spring area that needed filing/smoothing.

@waz0wski Thank you, that was helpful. I have the field/security combo, and I’m not sure how old it is. Has the porting and fiber optic from sight. I will reduce the spring rate 5 more, and I can easily hone the chamber. I did file the burr on the spring when I put in the CSR. Thanks!

@waz0wski Thank you, that was helpful. I have the field/security combo, and I’m not sure how old it is. Has the porting and fiber optic from sight. I will reduce the spring rate 5 more, and I can easily hone the chamber. I did file the burr on the spring when I put in the CSR. Thanks!
how does it work with the longer field barrel?

It shot a round of trap last week, but 3 dram eq loads and only one loaded at a time, so locks open but did eject and lock open every time.

It shot a round of trap last week, but 3 dram eq loads and only one loaded at a time, so locks open but did eject and lock open every time.
I guess those are the rules. like the other guy said and I have read many times the short barrel has some trouble with some loads I guess due to where the gas port is. leave the long barrel on and wail away with different loads

No, I’m trying for a totally reliable defense shotty. I will use the short barrel and back off the ASR another position and try again. Not hearing any better ideas. I think I’m on to my probable solution.

JCinPA,
Keep your Mossy in the shorty configuration. Make one change at a time. Get it to where you are happy with it and buy another shotgun for the 28” barrel.
A HD gun should be separate from your hunting or clays gun if you can afford it. You may get lucky and find a sweet spot that you can swap them out but as you are finding it may be somewhat challenging.

I have 2 M930 shotguns and one is highly modified and one is stock. The highly modified one I’m going for reliability and shots between cleaning (goal is 400 rounds). Both shoot everything I put thru them.

@Jmm14534 That is sound advice, I actually should have thought of that myself. Most likely, it is reliable with slugs and buckshot loads with the shorty barrel. I think I was influenced by TFB TV torture tests, my gun does not need to be good for defense, 3 gun competition, and clays. I think I may back off the ASR 5%, since the OR3GUN CSP is designed for a 10% spring rate reduction. I'm going to move the ASR to the "neutral" position.

Most likely that will do it. The only thing that may have been a problem with my defensive loads would have been the Federal LE 132 low recoil 00 Buck, normal buck and slugs should be just fine with it. I'm moving to standard 00 Buck anyway, @nitesite persuaded me that the low recoil version compromises some of what you WANT 00 Buck to do.

If I take a course and use field stuff for economy, I'll stick to the 3 Dram Eq stuff, 1200 fps or better and avoid the 1150 fps stuff. With the ASR change that will likely be OK, as well. The results all the YouTubers are having with the OR3GUN CSP and Marine Spacer tube indicates I may not have needed the ASR in the first place. Unless I have a very odd lemon of a gun, it should work.

Will Adjust the ASR and try it with a couple hundred rounds of 3 Dr Eq 7.5 shot and report back.

Well, cleaning it today after the last testing last weekend. I found an old post by OR3GUN saying position #2 (from the rounded end) on the ASR is neutral, which means it will retain the reduction from the CSP. I probably could have gotten away with just the CSP alone, but no matter. Will look to test it again soon.

Back