• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

SKS chambered for 6.5

Its been a goal of mine to expand on the chambering of various rounds for the SKS, just haven't quite got around to it yet, but I will. The advantage of the tapered snd short mag casings is a lower chamber pressure than magnum or straight wall casings, at heavier loads.

I love the passive mechanical cycling of the SKS vs direct blowback cycling. The engineering which is over 90 years old has yet to be duplicated effectively. So, in the spirit of Simonov and Tokarov's design I would like to start with chambering the 6.5 Creedmoor in a SKS.

I will update this post in the future as I get the primary machining done and have a good start on it.

P.S. The gas exhaust port on the top rod tube was moved forward after the redesign for the 55' model... hint hint

I had a Yugo that was all matching numbers and came unissued and mint condition yet at the time it just didn't float my boat. I sold it to a friend. I've oftentimes wished that I had it back.

I am excited to see your gunsmithing project progress! :thumbsup:

Thank you, I know they're getting harder to find but I encourage anyone to get an SKS. Very solid and reliable hunting rifle, are they sexy...hell no.

Without getting super nerdy, its the only semi-auto that uses the velocity of the bullet at 2/3 the barrel length, before extracting gas for cycling. Faster something travels, less energy required bla bla bla.

The original model 48' has a barrel length of 21.5" and exhaust porting was originally for longer Mosin round the rifle was designed for. Anyone who's fired a SVT 38 or 40 knows they have a horrible jamming issue.

Simonov fixed that with a shorter tapered casing. After 55' it has a 20" barrel and larger exhaust port moved slightly forward. Model 48' = 2,600 FPS model 55 = 2,200 FPS. That stupid little hole makes a huge difference.

Keep on plinking!

Back