• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

sling mount options

I couldn't find this on here so my question is the rear sling mounting location

I have a new moss 500 with wood stock and was wondering on your thoughts on best REAR mounting location for a sling

I would like to be able to use this sling to help stabilize the gun while shooting as i will be using it mostly for hunting which includes dear hunting out of a tree stand

so readily available are the screw stud that goes into the stock but what is the best location also the other option would be the style that goes between the stock and the receiver

Mine was mounted about 1 1/2" from the end of the butt stock with the recoil pad off.

I know this may be a little off topic, but you don't really need a rear mount for stabilization. In fact, it's better to disconnect it from the rear mount altogether, and use the loop around your upper arm like a tourniquet and adjust the length of the sling to form a tight triangle between your upper arm, the sling and your hand where it rides against the forward swivel. This is termed the "Loop" sling as opposed to the "Hasty" sling. Easier to show than explain, but this method gives you the best and steadiest support.

Of course, this is not appropriate for carrying while stalking, or hiking in, and need to make a quick shot, where you would use the Hasty sling.

Here's a little info about it if you're not familiar with it: http://artoftherifleblog.com/the-loop-s ... sling.html

Thanks for the info gunny

is there any disadvantage to putting the rear sling mount in the bottom if the grip area where the stock is flat

Back