• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

slow day at the firehouse

Only a few calls this shift, figured I'd post up some pictures of my department and share some facts about our operations.

Boulder Rural Fire Department

Founded in 1957 by local ranchers on the outskirts of Boulder, CO, we now serve approximately 19,000 people in a 25 square mile area. Our response area includes: a national highway (major MVAs on this stretch), residential areas, light/heavy commercial areas, agricultural areas, schools, churches, a stretch of railroad, and everything in between. We respond to approximately 1,200 calls a year, last year is was only 990, three years ago it was close to 1,500- the figure varies. Founded as an all volunteer force, we have since become a "combination" department, basically a department with both career and volunteer members. We are about 40/60 respectively and are about 60 members strong right now. Once a fire-only operation, BRFD became an ALS (Advanced Life Support) department decades ago, which means when you dial 911, you'll have at least 2 paramedics and a slew of EMTs responding, with a whole assortment of drugs and other medical interventions that can be performed pre-hospital in order to save your life. In order to better fit how our department as grown and to better define our response area, we are currently researching a possible name change and dropping the "Rural" from our name, since many people think that is a misnomer.

Until August 10, 2011 we were responding 24/7/365 out of a 5,800 sq. ft. converted barn, purchased by our department 22 years ago. August 10, 2011 we officially moved into a state of the art 18,000 sq. ft. station, closer to the epicenter of our district. In my opinion (corroborated by many visiting FFs) this is the nicest firehouse in Boulder County currently, we even have a real brass pole to slide down. In fact as I write this, I'm in the bunk room closest to it, so I can slide down and be on the truck, fully geared in about 30 seconds.

Unfortunately since I do not "legally" own the rights any of the good pictures of our department or our trucks(mine are all of special events we do for the public and whatnot), follow the link to see more about our stations and rigs complete with pictures.

LOCAL FIRE NEWS WEBSITE WITH UPDATED PICS OF OUR RIGS STATIONS
http://5280fire.com/?page_id=20292

OFFICIAL BRFD WEBSITE (APPARATUS SECTION)
http://newsite.brfd.org/index.php/cms/fire

We are also extremely blessed to have an amazing, new, training facility, practically right next door to us. We use it a LOT! It is awesome. Again, I do not own the rights to these pictures, so I'll have to direct you to the Boulder County website about the facility. In fact tomorrow we'll be doing live burn, interior attack scenarios to demonstrate to the current class going through the academy right now (they are all from other departments, we have no one in this current class). It'll be nice to get back in the oven again tomorrow! Its cold out here. Fun fact: With my full structure PPE gear on tomorrow, I'll walk casually into a burning room of about 450*F and due to my gear, not only be fully protected, it'll just feel like a hot summer day. What our gear takes in abuse is simply amazing to me.

TRAINING CENTER LINK
http://www.bcrftc.org/boulder.html

If you all have any questions, feel free to ask. Just thought I'd share a little bit about what I do and who I represent. Thanks for reading.

Just checked all the links...the websites looked great and really laid out what you guys got to work with.

We have a township called Cheltenham that has a fire tower on Tookany Creek drive and usually about once a month they set a blaze and practice manuevers...pretty cool to watch !

Then, every year the whole of Abington Twp has an open house and the public is invited in to check the fire and police equipment on display, pickup free smoke detectors, kids get to meet the house mascots, stuff like that. I usually go with my camera then send the crews the pictures to post on their websites...
==============================================================

APDDISPLAY-1.jpg

MEMORIAL1-1.jpg

AFCBLDGFRONT1-1.jpg

AFD-1.jpg

TURNOUTGEAR-1.jpg

FRONTFLAG-1.jpg

LADDERTOTALVIEW2-1.jpg

LADDER1-1.jpg

MAINPANEL-1.jpg

INTERIOR-1.jpg

MOMKID-1.jpg

MOMBABY-1.jpg

FIREMANDISPLAY-1.jpg

Here's an old pumper truck they have on display...

===========================================================

OLD1-1.jpg

OLD2-1.jpg

OLD3-1.jpg

OLDENGINE-1.jpg

OLDINTERIOR-1.jpg

OLD5-1.jpg

===============================================================

I feel pretty safe in my area...beside the ATFD, we have two other stations...the Weldon and Edgehill Fire Companies. I'll post some pics from them when I find the memory card.

===============================================================

I was wondering. Do you guys have any patches you want to trade for a manchester fire department patch?

I myself don't have any ATFD patches...but at the next open house I'll see if they will give me one for a donation...and I'll pass it along to ya !

First things first, I apologize about posting this in the picture forum, but when I started the long thread, I honestly thought I had some pictures to share other than links.

Second, Ripjack, I will work on getting a patch for you. We'd love to have another patch to add to our wall. I just ran downstairs and we do not have your Manchester patch. Are you referring to the Manchester, UK or a town in the US? Because I did not check the hall with our int'l patch collection.

Here is 2/3 of our current USA patch collection, if I zoomed out anymore with my P.O.S. flip phone, I lost detail. I really just need to bite the bullet and get a smartphone like everybody else.

675943309_2417017609_0.jpeg

Third, here is our antique fire engine that is needing a restoration, and below that (a picture I actually own) is an antique we helped refurbish with a neighboring department.

vintage%2Bboulder%2Bfire%2Bengine.jpeg

00000002.jpg

Finally, during our live burns today. I brought in the TIC (Thermal Imaging Camera) and found that the room temperature was just over 1,000*F at my head level when standing and 450*F roughly when I was on my knees. Just amazing what the equipment we use will withstand. I'm a total gear junkie. In fact today as I was acting safety officer inside for the academy evolutions, my helmet's goggles melted along with my rubber strap holding my chocks. It was hot. Hot. Hot. Hot. And we were only in there for about 5 minutes at a time, granted we were burning in a small room, so the heat banked down quickly and the flames were rolling over. Simply amazing.

I apologize if I ramble to much about this, but I just love it so much.

Ok, I'm getting 2 versions of the Manchester,CT FD patches. So whoever can get me some of their department patches we can swap 2 for 2 or you can just pick one and we'll swap em that way. When I get them I'll post up pix of em in here and you guys can pick n choose.

Cheers.

Shooter-

Forgive me for the late reply, but that is one sweet station. We actually have the same remote-controlled Sparky the Dog prop as they do! It's a riot to see it in action. Again, very cool pics!

Rossignol said:
I love this stuff man!

I wasn't even done looking through the pics and word for word the same response came to mind!!!

Thanks for the awesome thread here COFirefighter and the typically great input by SHOOTER!!

Update on the patches. I have 3 of them and 1 manchester police dept patch. I was thinking nitesite should have that one. The other 3 are 2 fire dept. And 1 emt. I'll post up pics of them all later on...

Back