• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

small arms food

oli700

12g
Supporter
"Philanthropist"
Just finished 500….glad to be done. 300 to go and I will be out of brass. Think I’ll stash the 500 and just keep rotating the other 300
IMG_0636.jpg

I am wanting to start loading .223. But need to get everything to do it.

I've gotten several hundred empties just waiting for when I do. I'm going to be using my buddy's recipe and will be using 55 gr sp dogtown bullets. I have gotten some very good groups and performance out of them.

I am also going to be doing 9mm too. I have about 600 cases already cleaned and primed waiting for some unique and 147 gr ranier hp's and another 400 cases deprimed.

So 9mm is probably gonna be happening first.

I am going to try some 9 with HS6.I have a pound I didnt like it for shotgun and it has a recipe on the front of the bottle for 9mm so why not, got close to 500 brass.

If you've already got it, why not use it?

I'm wanting to pick up some unique because I can use it to load 9mm and 40 S&W. Since I have both, I can't see a reason not to use it.

Plus, it has decent reviews from those that use it regularly.

there are some good 12ga slug recipes using Unique. Seem like a lot of pistol and SG powders cross over

If I went through as many rounds as you I would have a progressive loader, got any auto 223's?

I have probably roughly 400 empty 223's right now.

223brass014.jpg

I had close to 1000 empty 223, but gave a buddy of mine about half of the brass to help him get started, and he gave me about 200 or so of them back that he reloaded.

he'd been loading for a long time is why I trusted his loads, but he had only recently gotten into the AR scene so that's why I gave him so much brass to try to offset the setup cost a little.

And yes, I should've started reloading a long time ago. It's a safe bet that I have spent as much or more on ammo than I have the gun's themselves.

I can remember buying 40 S&W WWB 100 packs for about $11 a box at walmart just maybe 4 years ago. I looked at some a while back and they were more than double that for a 50 pack. [face palm]

And when I started buying .223, I remember you could get wolf for about 1.39 a box of 20 and Federal's were about $3.75 a box of 20.

Now even the cheap stuff is $5 a box of 20.

And that's why I'm getting geared up to start doing my own. I'm tired of feeling violated every time I pull the trigger.

John, if you have any questions which your reloader friend can't help with please don't hesitate to PM or email me.

And BTW I love loading 9mm and 147s, my favorite bullet for the cartridge!

And Oli, that's a beautimous looking batch of .223 goodness!

Well done, Sir.

Thanks for the offer nitesite. I'll do that. It's very likely that I will run into questions.

The main reason I'm going to do the 147 9mm is I use more of them than the other weight bullets because they're subsonic and I shoot them out of my SMG and SBR's with the suppressor. So needless to say, I go through a lot of them when I take those guns out. Especially if I'm not the only one shooting them.

John and Oli,

Here's a very interesting site containing LOTS of interesting loading suggestions specifically for .223/5.56mm. You both probably know all or most of it but it's so well written I occasionally come back to it just for a refresher. Particularly interesting is FREE downloadable pages from the Sierra Bullets load manual for both bolt gun data and AR gas gun data.

http://www.6mmbr.com/223Rem.html

Oli,

You get some wild ideas to try something "new" in .223 I will be there to help all I can. You, too, John! I've played with #41 primers, Factory Crimp Dies for .223 Rem (great idea BTY for ARs and Minis), heavy bullets, light bullets, ten kinds of powders, I have a pretty good amount of experience loading this cartridge! If I could figure out how to make case trimming easier I would love it even more. Trimming sux. So does cutting primer pocket crimps; thank god that only has to be done once!

Thanks for the .223 link nitesite ...lots of good info on one of my favorite cartridges !

Well this is a new load for me. The projo is the usual 55g FMJ BT.
The powder is new to me, 24g IMR 3031. Any exp with the 3031 ?
About half the cases are 5.56 and the other half.223....haven’t had an issue as long as we used .223 data so far, are you aware of any long term issues doing this ?
The ammo is being shot in a Yankee Hill Specter AR and a Mini 14, both 5.56 compliant.
The overall length is 2.20".....Federal small rifle primer

Do you trim once fired ? and what length do you trim them up to ?

thats all I can think of for now thanks

These are great threads!

I appreciate what all you do, it gives me stuff to research for future plans! Thanks fellas!

oli700 said:
Do you trim once fired ? and what length do you trim them up to ?

I find that the resizing operation of the case tends to "stretch" some brass in the shoulder and neck area, even if only fired one time, beyond the maximum length. So after sizing I always check my case length. Then I trim to 1.750" but not all my brass is kept to that length. If it's under 1.760" I call it good if it's just going to be plinking/blasting ammo.

I haven't used IMR3031 but it's right there on the burn rate chart next to Hodgdon H335 and Accurate 2230, both of which are hugely popular powders for the .223 cartridge and both are powders I keep on hand. So I have absolutely no doubt that it'll perform quite well for you. IMRs catalog even states that IMR3031 works very well in the .223 cartridge. Is it a ball or extruded powder? Does it meter easily?

If you ever come across Federal brass marked with an FC headstamp you'll notice that the cases are unusually short, like around 1.725" and their brass is very soft (primer pockets stretch after just a few loadings and cause loose primers) so if I bother to use those cases it's meant for just one use. Typically, if I know I won't be able to pick up my brass this is what ammo I take. :mrgreen:

And I usually segregate my cases to all 5.56 LC or all R-P .223 or all Winchester .223 but frankly, since none of my ARs are scoped I really can't say I do it for accuracy reasons.

Have fun!

nitesite said:
Is it a ball or extruded powder? Does it meter easily?

Turns out it is extruded . It metered out good and they shot real good....plenty good for me.

I hated reloading .223, I managed only 40 out of the 50 I started with, It was my first crack at it, So there is a bit of a learning curve.
9mm, .40S&W and .45ACP were all a dream to reload though.

One of the issues I had, The bullet would tilt slightly as I pressed it into the case, I have learned that I should look for bullets with a boat tail instead of the Hornady V-Max, I should also refrain from lubing the inner neck.
0107022144.jpg

But the 40 that worked out look good!
0107022100.jpg

One other issue with reloading Federal cases, They crimp the primers in, Which caused a few primers to get crushed, Then I reamed out the pocket, All went well after that.

Hornady 55gr Vmax bullets
Federal .223 brass
22.2gr Ramshot TAC powder
Federal #205 small rifle primers.

The 223 recipe that my buddy Rick gave me was:
22.8 gr Ramshot Tac powder, 55 gr dogtown soft point bullets to 2.205" col

I'm going to substitute the bullets for Hornady 55 gr spsx bullets and plan to use #41
primer as long as CCI says it won't change the pressures. I checked the Ramshot load data and that is well within the min/max charge.

I have never loaded, but I have shot those bullets out of my AR and they do pretty good. And considerably better than wolf. :lol:

Hopefully within the next 2 weeks I'll be able to order the rest of my reloading gear and get started.

Back