• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

smoothbore slugster barrel choke?

zoner

I picked up a 24"Mossberg 500 smoothbore, ported,slugster barrel with rifle sights.... and while looking it over was wondering what choke it is. I'm assuming it's cylinder or improved cylinder but it's not marked on it. I'm thinking that if I got this barrel threaded for choke tubes it would be pretty versatile.

I believe it is a cylinder bore.

Yes, having adjustable chokes will really help in tightening up patterns with buckshot, turkey shot etc. it will also allow the use of rifled choke tubes if you wish to dabble.

That's kinda what I was thinking....a couple chokes and assorted loads and I have the makings of a do all shotgun. I guess the sights would be a handicap wingshooting....but for deer, small game, turkeys they would be more an asset. I have a 835 receiver with a 5 shot 500 mag tube screwed into it.... the 500 slugster barrel fits it perfect..... not the best for HD but if it was all I had I'd be ok with it. The sights are barrel mounted, but the receiver is tapped so maybe I can find a ghost ring sight to mount to the reciever to gain a little sight radius.....Mike

I have the same setup on my 835. I gave a few 500 barrels for it or I'll gop back to the 835 barrel for turkey

Back