• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

So what's been done to this No.48 Western Field?

Because it's just not matching up perfectly to anything I've seen on the net. But then again, I'm a complete noob at this...on with the show:

Right side...from what I've seen, the No.48 shouldn't have a grooved forend, to begin with.
cabin10-6-2013andrimfirepics027.jpg

Left side
cabin10-6-2013andrimfirepics028.jpg

Receiver, bolt detail. Note the curved bolt handle...no dust cover
cabin10-6-2013andrimfirepics031.jpg

More receiver, rear sight detail, better shot of the curved bolt handle
cabin10-6-2013andrimfirepics032.jpg

Barrel roll mark
cabin10-6-2013andrimfirepics034.jpg

Left side receiver detail, with scope mount machine screws, and slots for mic rear sight (a No.3 sight? would that be right?)
cabin10-6-2013andrimfirepics035.jpg

Butt is unadorned
cabin10-6-2013andrimfirepics037.jpg

Stock underside...trigger guard is plastic
cabin10-6-2013andrimfirepics038.jpg

Muzzle, magazine front detail
cabin10-6-2013andrimfirepics039.jpg

So what is this sucker? Probably a restock, but the stock isn't identifiable either. Any ideas there? It doesn't fully fit the pics or descriptions I've seen of the Western Field No.48 either, bolt is different for one thing.

Any help, much appreciated! (now watch, there'll be 60 guys on this forum with exactly the same rifle...lol)

Got a message from Havlin Sales, mentioning that sometimes Mossberg would "use up" old components when selling to Wards, giving them a break on pricing to use up the old stock items. I've sent a pic out to them, I'll post up what they ID this as. Tentatively it's a Mossberg 45a.

Mossberg has been historically notorious for having ten different model numbers for essentially the same thing with only minor, and sometimes unidentifiable differences.

Just got a reply from Havlin!

"That is a 45A master action bolt, with a No 3 sight platform (receiver peep) and Model 40 style stock - again, becuase Wards would buy the close out non essential components to use up the old stock and get a price break, you cannot say that this is wrong - it's just older. The 45A master actio bolts were introduced in 1937, the No 3 peep sights were discontinued in 1936 and the Model 40 stocks were discontinued in 1935. Obviously, Mossberg would have had some of these left in the warehouse and that's how they got rid of them - sold them to Wards until they ran out

Havlin Sales"

So the search begins for a No.3 peep that's got a decent price. I've got time.

Thanks for the help, folks!

Back