• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Some initial impressions and a few ??'s

flux

.22LR
First off, hello and I hope everyone enjoyed their Turkey Day weekend.

I bought my first gun in a long time and picked it up 10 days ago. I have been getting back into shooting and wanted something fun..............like a pump shotgun I can blow slugs and buckshot through. I have enough rifles. So after the fun CA waiting period I got me 51517, short barrel regular stock ghost ring sites, regular stock 5+1. Out of the box I was pretty excited, what a nice gun and I am glad I spent the extra dough on the metal guard etc. Immediately you can feel how fast this little guy is with the short barrel. Thanks to this forum I wasted no time swapping to the limbsaver which I had before even picking up the gun.

So I bought a bunch of hollow point slugs and buckshot and toted it along to my in-laws house so we could shoot at their local range. Truthfully, I probably blew 30 rounds before really getting the feel of the sites and then started dialing in. With the federal 2-3/4 hollowpoints I had to dial up the elevation to about 2 lines below the top on the side ears. But then it started hitting very well at 50 yards. I suspect there is a good amount of variance with the slugs, but 6" groups seem pretty reasonable at 50 yards with a stray here and there. For kicks I aimed at a spot 100 yards away on the bank and after seeing the drop I kind of guesstimated elevation and hit the spot no sweat. WOW!!

Last weekend I shot with the sited dialed and my buddy picked it up and put a slug through a quart sized gatorade bottle first shot. I took it up to the local shooting spot and blew apart some pine half rounds. Again I was very happy with the accuracy in that 40-60+ yard range. But I did note some strays here and there. My son enjoyed shooting cans with the birdshot target loads, but I think his first buckshot round might be his last for a while.

So thanks for all the foresight on this gun, the info here helped a great deal in my decision and there are no regrets other than I probably should have bought a 930 SPX so I have the set, but later for that, I need a reloading press first, those slugs are costly.

A couple questions:

I got a pretty good lead build up near the breech from the slugs. Best way to clean that up?? And I suppose I am gonna have to run a lot of patches through??

I have only sprayed the interior with remoil but need to break it down and clean it. Any parts need grease instead of oil??

What's the best cure for the big bruise on my shoulder and upper bicep??

My boy gives it a go:

2cee9a4c.jpg

I got a pretty good lead build up near the breech from the slugs. Best way to clean that up?? And I suppose I am gonna have to run a lot of patches through??

Put a brass brush on a cleaning rod , put the rod in a drill and go to work.....steel wool works too
I have only sprayed the interior with remoil but need to break it down and clean it. Any parts need grease instead of oil??

Nope

Sounds like you need to get the butt in the "pocket". Not on the bicep and not on the shoulder but in the pocket that is formed when you lift your arm. Work on shooting squared up to the target, bend knees and slightly bent at the waist leaning into the gun a bit.

oli700 said:

Put a brass brush on a cleaning rod , put the rod in a drill and go to work.....steel wool works too

Nope

Sounds like you need to get the butt in the "pocket". Not on the bicep and not on the shoulder but in the pocket that is formed when you lift your arm. Work on shooting squared up to the target, bend knees and slightly bent at the waist leaning into the gun a bit.
Yea, I got a bit of soreness too. BTW, watch your thumb when firing full power loads. While practicing before the match I switched from bird shot to slugs and kissed my nose with my thumb :lol:. It was funny, actually, cause I had read of someone on here doing it to.

Oli, great suggestions and thanks. I am definitely not squaring up and putting the butt into the "pocket". I am a bit sideways and it's on my bicep a bit. That's an easy fix. It's been a while since I was shooting regularly, so I have all kinds of bad habits. Luckily, my safe shooting habits have not gone away one bit.

I am pretty impressed with the Mossberg product and a tactical 22 might be under the Xmas tree for the boys.......not that I would have any fun with it either.

Oh man, no doubt. I have shot “bladed” all my life. Now I don’t like shooting bladed but catch myself doing it subconsciously….I just correct it and move on. I do shoot better squared up and that goes for carbine too. My rifle is the only thing I still shoot bladed…..good luck and have fun with your boy, they grow up fast, be patent.

oli700 said:
...good luck and have fun with your boy, they grow up fast, be patent.

Wow, what a great weekend you had!
They do grow up fast so get in all the time with them you can manage.
That Tac .22 would be a GREAT way to get them totally hooked on shooting and 22LRs are dirt cheap by comparison to slugs and Buck (or even bird)

Awesome job dad - keep up the good work!!!

Welcome Flux;
It's good to read that a man takes his son out for a day of shooting! :D :)

Is you plan on shooting a lot, look at adding a Limbsaver (re-coil pad) to the butt.
That will help some on the felt re-coil.

Again, welcome and shoot safe.

Lateck,

Howdy flux, and welcome to the club....Ok so you have the limbsaver pad, how about a new stock? I found one for ya at Amazon for only $92.50
http://www.amazon.com/Blackhawk-Knoxx-S ... m_sbs_sg_2

That will surely get rid of the B&B on yer shoulder.

And is it me, or does your boy look like he's a lil scared to pull the trigger? or is he just aiming down the sights?

ripjack13 said:
Howdy flux, and welcome to the club....Ok so you have the limbsaver pad, how about a new stock? I found one for ya at Amazon for only $92.50
http://www.amazon.com/Blackhawk-Knoxx-S ... m_sbs_sg_2

That will surely get rid of the B&B on yer shoulder.

And is it me, or does your boy look like he's a lil scared to pull the trigger? or is he just aiming down the sights?

Looks like a right handed shooter, left eye dominant.

Great to hear you are happy with it and are making it a family affair! Great work.

I had the same buildup on mine. You can see the thread HERE.

The boy is scared of the recoil for sure. My oldest is a very cautious type, but he is very calculating. He will be a very good shooter some day. I wanted to expose him to a large "blunderbuss". That was the first time he shot it and got way more comfortable with the target birdshot loads next time out......then he shot some buckshot and he may shy away for a while.

I'm just glad I got back into shooting when they are at a good age to understand what they are doing and be safe doing it.

I think the next move for him is to be less scared and more prepared for the recoil. He certainly could use a few pounds and inches to better handle that piece. I can still recall the first time I tried to hold my deer rifle off my shoulder, it kicked me real good.

Thanks for the link Rip, I gotta work that barrel a bit. I figured lead buildup for sure.

Pay attention to Ripjack13 and go for the Knoxx stock he was talking about. I have one with a Limbsaver butt pad as well. I have shot as many as 200 rounds of #00 buckshot with no ill effects, no bruises or pain. I don't even flinch a bit when I pull the trigger.

Only trouble I have is when I shoot one of my others without the recoil reduction and not thinking about it before hand and letting it catch me off guard.

flux said:
First off, hello and I hope everyone enjoyed their Turkey Day weekend.

I bought my first gun in a long time and picked it up 10 days ago. I have been getting back into shooting and wanted something fun..............like a pump shotgun I can blow slugs and buckshot through. I have enough rifles. So after the fun CA waiting period I got me 51517, short barrel regular stock ghost ring sites, regular stock 5+1. Out of the box I was pretty excited, what a nice gun and I am glad I spent the extra dough on the metal guard etc. Immediately you can feel how fast this little guy is with the short barrel. Thanks to this forum I wasted no time swapping to the limbsaver which I had before even picking up the gun.

So I bought a bunch of hollow point slugs and buckshot and toted it along to my in-laws house so we could shoot at their local range. Truthfully, I probably blew 30 rounds before really getting the feel of the sites and then started dialing in. With the federal 2-3/4 hollowpoints I had to dial up the elevation to about 2 lines below the top on the side ears. But then it started hitting very well at 50 yards. I suspect there is a good amount of variance with the slugs, but 6" groups seem pretty reasonable at 50 yards with a stray here and there. For kicks I aimed at a spot 100 yards away on the bank and after seeing the drop I kind of guesstimated elevation and hit the spot no sweat. WOW!!

Last weekend I shot with the sited dialed and my buddy picked it up and put a slug through a quart sized gatorade bottle first shot. I took it up to the local shooting spot and blew apart some pine half rounds. Again I was very happy with the accuracy in that 40-60+ yard range. But I did note some strays here and there. My son enjoyed shooting cans with the birdshot target loads, but I think his first buckshot round might be his last for a while.

So thanks for all the foresight on this gun, the info here helped a great deal in my decision and there are no regrets other than I probably should have bought a 930 SPX so I have the set, but later for that, I need a reloading press first, those slugs are costly.

A couple questions:

My boy gives it a go:

2cee9a4c.jpg

I use a knoxx stock on my 500A with the low cheek riser. The birdshot I was shooting in mine had more recoil than the law enforcement low recoil buckshot loads. I am not sure whether I'd want to shoot high walled brass buck out of it or not. I think even with the limbsaver on there if I used high walled buck I could only tolerate about fifty rounds. I shot 100 low recoil and 100 bird my last range session. I could have shot the rest of the buck but it was really cold in the range and I had a head ache from going from a hot to a cold environment. I got no cheek slap with the low cheek piece on there. I shot it bladed some and squared up some. I think the ones that get cheek slap don't use the cheek piece, try and shoot it bladed, and probably use high walled brass. I plan on going to the range again this Friday and this time I will be trying out the ATI Talon Tactical stock to see which of the two I like best. Whichever one I like best of course I will keep and sell the other.

Sent from Droid Incredible on Verizon Wireless

Thanks for the tips on the stocks. I may just have to tinker around with that to see what I like. I don't have much issue with the recoil as I am 225. I do love the 590A1 though, it's such a nice looking piece with the short barrel and the slide is very smooth. I did remoil the crap out of the interior though.

Although, i want a few more firearms before I get into aftermarket parts. My list is growing longer every time I go to a Gun Shop. Probably get the long 835 barrel for it for birds.

EDIT: Ok, checked out the Knoxx Stock and I want one. I could adjust for the boys and reduce recoil. Sounds like money well spent.

^^^ haha, pillow fight!! Good stuff. I used to think the Shotgun was awful, then I shot our 8mm Mauser which made the shotty feel like a pillow fight! Lol.

Welcome to the group!! Awesome pic of your son, congrats on the purchase! The .22 is great... Cheap, fun, painless... The boys would love it! :)

Hi Flux! Great pic of your son!

I have no clue about the Knoxx stock, I use a Hogue short LOP...

I totally agree with OLI on the stance, get square behind the gun and while your trigger hand is pulling back, your support hand should be pushing forward. Along with those two points of contact, get a good cheek weld and seat the butt firmly also as Oli mentioned.

The stance, the push/pull style of shooting, and those 4 points of contact will make a lot of difference.

flux said:
Thanks for the tips on the stocks. I may just have to tinker around with that to see what I like. I don't have much issue with the recoil as I am 225. I do love the 590A1 though, it's such a nice looking piece with the short barrel and the slide is very smooth. I did remoil the crap out of the interior though.

Although, i want a few more firearms before I get into aftermarket parts. My list is growing longer every time I go to a Gun Shop. Probably get the long 835 barrel for it for birds.

EDIT: Ok, checked out the Knoxx Stock and I want one. I could adjust for the boys and reduce recoil. Sounds like money well spent.

Dude i am 6'6 282 pounds. Weight has nothing to do with being able to take recoil.

Sent from Droid Incredible on Verizon Wireless

tnxdshooter said:
Dude i am 6'6 282 pounds. Weight has nothing to do with being able to take recoil.

It's not everything but it has something to do with it.

I'd have to agree with oli there.

An individual's size won't affect the force of recoil itself, but body mass certainly has to be taken into account when talking about 'perceived recoil'. It's simple physics. A given amount of energy will move a smaller, lighter object further than one with more mass. The amount of energy being returned to the shoulder is constant, but the weight of the shooter will certainly have an ultimate effect on the individual's ability to absorb it.

That said, there are certainly effective techniques that enable smaller shooters to better handle recoil. Squaring up on the gun, push-pull technique, etc. all help level the playing field.

Back