• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Sons new .243

Mykhael

.22LR
Bought my 8 year old son his first deer hunting rifle.

IMG_20130714_150117_680_zps119b63bb.jpg

Very nice, congrats!

Be sure and let us know how it goes when he gets to shoot it for the first time...

Got it setup for him. Will be taking tomorrow off so I can take him to the range.

Hopefully picture shows up.

1119782_10153088150060046_1141418850_o.jpg

congrats to your son on HIS new mossy.

must be one happy 8 yo. :D

Ended up shooting 40 rounds all were 100 grain
He did very well, no pictures as I was helping him with taking his time to shoot plus I forgot.
Only missed target at 75 yards 3 times which were his first ones. His grouping was all over but improved as he shot more.

I love the .243 for hunting deer. Nice gun and congrats to your son for joining the hunting sportsmen :)

Took my son out to shoot his .243 again today, The very first time was okay he hit the target but no where close. These were all done at 50 yard. He is getting amped up for deer season in a few weeks.

The target was not posted like this. If you rotate it clock wise the left was at the top. toward the end he started trying to get the two small targets. Which he came really close.

http://youtu.be/xjD9GCwujA0

2aagfvs.jpg

I think he would have done better had he not drawn a crowd. People standing around started watching and telling him good job, may have embarrassed him some.

I smell venison!!!

Did I say that I LOVE the .243 Winchester cartridge for whitetail deer. Remington 100-gr Core-Lokt soft points work great!

Very nice and it's awesome that you got your little man started like this.

If you've zeroed in the scope for him, he can practice without actually shooting rounds. Just set up 50, 75, and 100 yd targets (whatever ranges you want, really) and he can cycle the bolt on an empty magazine, aim as though there's a live round, and dry fire. He can then see if he's flinching, closing his eye when pulling the trigger, not following through (pulling away the gun/crosshairs right after the shot) and so forth. If he's doing any of these, he can work on it by dry firing a bit. Then you can go to live rounds. Load a round without him seeing if you're actually chambering it. Then hand it to him and let him aim and shoot. Change it up so some shots are a dry fire. That'll show if he's flinching when he thinks there's a live round. This is a lot more effective for younger shooters than just going to the range and shooting a lot of ammo.

RichardPryor said:
If you've zeroed in the scope for him, he can practice without actually shooting rounds. Just set up 50, 75, and 100 yd targets (whatever ranges you want, really) and he can cycle the bolt on an empty magazine, aim as though there's a live round, and dry fire. He can then see if he's flinching, closing his eye when pulling the trigger, not following through (pulling away the gun/crosshairs right after the shot) and so forth. If he's doing any of these, he can work on it by dry firing a bit. Then you can go to live rounds. Load a round without him seeing if you're actually chambering it. Then hand it to him and let him aim and shoot. Change it up so some shots are a dry fire. That'll show if he's flinching when he thinks there's a live round. This is a lot more effective for younger shooters than just going to the range and shooting a lot of ammo.

Thanks for the tip.

Same kinda way I was taught with my pistol. The guy even sat a dime on the front sight, the goal was to pull trigger and not drop the dime, all dry fire senerio.

Is it possible to put say 2 live rounds and 2 empty cartridges in the gun and the empties cycle back out?

Mykhael said:
Is it possible to put say 2 live rounds and 2 empty cartridges in the gun and the empties cycle back out?

Only problem you may run into would be the casings getting hung up on the way into the chamber. Once the bolt closes, the extractor should pull them just fine. All depends on the casings too, but my .308 cycles most empties just fine...

Back