• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Sponge camo

jco69

I started off with the synthetic stock from my Mossberg 802, wiped it down with laquer thinner to remove any oil or whatever may be on it, then i scuffed it down with a red scotch brite pad to remove the shine and rough it up so the paint would stick better. i wanted to do sort of an urban camo color scheme(light gray and dark gray) i taped off the checkering and painted the whole stock dark gray.when that was dry, i added light gray stripes, it doesn't matter how you do this, i just did mine diagonal
100_3201.jpg
while the stripes were drying, i cut up a new dish sponge(little one with a scrubby side) but any sponge will do. i cut it up into about 1 inch sections, i made 2, 1 for dark gray 1 for light.you want to sponge with the opposite color(light on dark, dark on light) there is no set pattern, just do what you feel like, it's kind of "goof proof" (i think anyway)
100_3203.jpg
while that dried,i made a skull stencil from a pic i got from the internet and added the skull but didn't like it all black
100_3206.jpg
so i used some dark gray over top to give it sort of a shadow effect
100_3218.jpg
then it was time for clear. i put 2 light coats, wet sanded with 2000 grit to smooth out(be careful not to sand through the clear) then put 2 more coats, let it dry for a couple of hours, then put it back together.
100_3212.jpg
I just used Krylon paint from Walmart, i think i have maybe $20 in everything.

Very nice work bro!

Thanks for taking the time to post this up. I really like the idea of using a sponge for naturally occurring variations in the pattern. Looks great and it's inexpensive to boot.

Nice job...

The camo came out looking great !!!

Looks Great!
After doing one of my 500's my wife started trying to find things for me to paint. :lol:
I love the look of this painting style!!!

I can't stop coming back to this thread. Makes me want to go out 'n buy a .22lr plinker just to try my skills with a sponge...

I actually did the sponge painting technique on my living room walls and it looks great...

Here's a pic of a corner in the room to show the 2 different patterns and colors used....

ekvVll.jpg

haha... i already have one....

7UN5Nl.jpg

T-REX!!!!

Back